Builds My FJC to GX 470 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haven’t had time to work on the sliders but the rear bumpstops have been bothering me. So took a few minutes this afternoon to swap out the OEM for FJC bumps. Need to get a measurement for the GX OEM but they are almost twice as long. One was starting to fall apart from the abuse.
439D4D2E-8E7D-433A-B710-EEE0FDC7E264.jpeg
12B507F3-443C-47A6-89C2-EF7E17F9CF08.jpeg

And gave it a long overdue bath along with some HP!
83DF63FD-F11C-4259-AF6F-9F1443425E30.jpeg

Nice work, shes looking good! A lot of people have swapped from FJ to GX since the swap is fairly simple. I too went from a FJ to GX, and love it.

Rig is looking great, love those sliders and wheels!

Good, now let's go use 'em!
Ha! I’m itching to but still need to order some decent recovery points, hitch pintle, better armor underneath and a bumper solution so I can remount my winch. And after reading the last trail run report, I’ll need every bit of it!

Do most sliders need to be welded? I thought they would be bolt on, no?

There are a few options available for bolt-on sliders. Didn’t really like the the way some of the bolt-ons mounted up so I went with the weld on instead.
Metaltech makes a bolt on but drilling is required. White Knuckle makes a set that use a U-bolt and budbuilt makes them as well.

There are a few options available for bolt-on sliders...

Thanks for the info. Nearly pulled the trigger on a GX last year, and have been following IH8mud ever since dreaming. Finally getting a dealer maintained 03 GX this Sunday for my wife....will slowly try and convince her of the things it will "need".

Looks pretty sweet. I think I saw one similar at the outdoor show in Denver this past winter.

Looks pretty sweet. I think I saw one similar at the outdoor show in Denver this past winter.
Thanks. We think it is a good compromise for our use. Has enough amenities for the Mrs. and rugged enough to take it to most places I'm interested in. It will need a few mods IMO. Going to swap out the hitch with either a Lock N Roll or Lunette Ring. Has Solar and I'm going to add a portable tankless HW heater for showers. We should be ready to roll but it's essentially a bed on wheels to be honest.. Ha!

"It will need a few mods IMO" always the case...haha

I get the bed on wheels comment but hey, it works for you to get the Mrs. outside plus it has some serious cool factor IMHO.

I had an M416 with a regular 2" ball hitch that I towed with my 80 on some pretty challenging trials such as Kokopelli trail, Top of the World etc. It never popped off and did well though I was most concerned about Cisco Wash. I can find links to pics if interested. Not saying you don't need the others just something to think about.

That’s good to know. Thanks! We always used pintle hitches in the Military and honestly didn’t know there was a 416 w/ a 2” ball available. But have always used a pintle system for more rigorous towing and off-road use. It does give me piece of mind that the 2” ball was able to take the abuse. The T@G weighs in at about 1200lb plus whatever gear we load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom