Builds My First Landcruiser: 78' Frame Off Resofication (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slow Progress

Well yesterday 3 buddies and I put in a few hours and made a bit of progress....Sealed the front axle and mounted it to the springs...did alot of sanding to get misc. parts painted last minute, but most of the time was spent realizing how many small parts had been lost or swept up during dissasembly. So back to MAF and the local auto parts store to replace rusted or missing bolts and random parts. Do all of you guys that do this amount of rebuilding go through this level of frustration over stupid small and VERY landcruiser specific parts that held you back from re-assembly..?.or am I just challeneged lol. Once more noticeable progress has been made I'll post some pictures. In the mean time, keep the advice rollin. Thanks
Eli

MOUNTAINCRUISER said:
Well yesterday 3 buddies and I put in a few hours and made a bit of progress....Sealed the front axle and mounted it to the springs...did alot of sanding to get misc. parts painted last minute, but most of the time was spent realizing how many small parts had been lost or swept up during dissasembly. So back to MAF and the local auto parts store to replace rusted or missing bolts and random parts. Do all of you guys that do this amount of rebuilding go through this level of frustration over stupid small and VERY landcruiser specific parts that held you back from re-assembly..?.or am I just challeneged lol. Once more noticeable progress has been made I'll post some pictures. In the mean time, keep the advice rollin. Thanks
Eli

Yes there is tons of frustration..

Took me 2 months to get a powersteering gear box return nipple that fit..:grinpimp:

Which makes me think. Are you gonna run some sort of PS or does your cruiser have it already.

my64fj40 said:
Yes there is tons of frustration..

Took me 2 months to get a powersteering gear box return nipple that fit..:grinpimp:

Which makes me think. Are you gonna run some sort of PS or does your cruiser have it already.

I really want to run PS, in fact I really need PS (just finished having a 3rd shoulder surgery, so im not sure if ill even be able to drive it untill I get PS put on), but I dont have the money to buy one of those $900 kits, and right now I am on such a tight schedual to get it on the road I dont have time to hound for junkyard parts...(from what ive read it sounds like its a pretty involved hunt.

MOUNTAINCRUISER said:
I really want to run PS, in fact I really need PS (just finished having a 3rd shoulder surgery, so im not sure if ill even be able to drive it untill I get PS put on), but I dont have the money to buy one of those $900 kits, and right now I am on such a tight schedual to get it on the road I dont have time to hound for junkyard parts...(from what ive read it sounds like its a pretty involved hunt.

Yup. Running 35s your gonna want PS

I would start now, gathering a little part here or there. Depends on what type you want to do. Minitruck is pretty cheap and less work. Saginaw is better for the bigger tires, but has more work involved.

Cruiser is lookin great :cheers:

Sag

MOUNTAINCRUISER said:
Thanks for the advice...so say I go the saginaw...would you reccomend finding one of some sort of chevy in a junk yard? or buying a new box? im clueless and some of the form's are quite confusing-what would you do?

I am going with Saginaw on my project because larger tires will rub on the Toyota Mini setup but then I have not done all the work to my frame yet. The Sag requires a good bit of welding to the frame horns and to the MAF SR you are running. This means fawking up your powder coating.:doh:

The mini truck stuff is basically bolt on and there is a great "how to" someplace in the FAQ - step by step with pics and it took the guy a long day. It is considerably cheaper then the sag set up once you figure in the welding and brackets and u joints, etc for the Sag.

The Sag is argued to be the tougher of the two set ups and more readily available due to the number of US cars in junk yard that ran a Sag box over the years.

Personal decision you have to make now. I would go mini truck at your stage and reduce tire size/width because the frame is already coated. Otherwise I would do a Sag AND THEN coat the frame.
Here are some helpful links. It took me a long time to figure out what I was going to do and understand the various ways to do it.

http://www.off-road.com/tlc/tech/saginaw/

Good brackets: http://www.deckersonline.com/

How to mount them: http://www.off-road.com/tlc/tech/psbracket/

This is the good Mini truck install from the FAQ I mentioned: romer's minitruck setup

This has all bee discussed here ALOT - don't opent he can of worms - LOL:ban: There are alot of views - I hope mine helps. I have a whole bunch of other links I bookmarked on my comp. PM me if you want me to send them to you. They are vendors for U Joints/pillow blocks/ steering shafts and some other install ideas for Sag.

Cheers :beer: :beer: (Root beer for U of course)

Hugh... is there a way I could mount the mini setup, in a way that it doesnt rub the tires? because if not....the predicament would be- I have just about an equal amount of $ into both the powdercoating and the 35 12.50 MTR's so if possible I would rather not have to ruin either of them.

nvm. after reading through romers post for the mini PS install I noticed alot of those guys are running 35's successfully and only had to add a PS cooler. I actually think that one of my muddies has a perfect parts 4runner that would have the pump still on it. Otherwize im sure I could find one at my local junk yard- old 4runners are very common up here. My only concern is that (according to his directions) I would have to remove my old Gearbox and drill out the rivets. In this case wouldnt that ruin my powdercoat? Thanks

Eli :beer::beer:yea...root beer!

If you are careful the damage would be minimal at best. Just grind the rivets flat,dimple the middle with a punch and then drill them out with a good titanium about 3/8 (I think) bit. Mount your new mount and equipment with some hi grade bolts or stainless with nylon stop nuts and call it good. Oh, before pulling the old mount off, score where it meets the frame with a razor to help prevent chipping to the rest of the frame around it. You may have rubbing but that would be better then trashing the PC on your frame horns. The Mini steering will not interfere with the SR either. Check ebay for a pumps and gear boxes. Frequent good deals if you don't want to rummage through wrecking yards. As always with used parts you do risk getting worn out parts but it beats big $$$ for a new box.

Weekend

Ok so with the weekend coming up here's the update. Today we started to finish the axles-got as far is pulling out the knuckle rebuild kit, and then realized I was missing another part that was thrown away during the dissasembly...another set back. So at this point, The frame is sitting in the garage with springs and axles mounted, differentials sealed, but with no fluids or brakes etc. To make up for what would be a large setback (waiting for the parts to ship), we are going to skip the getting it on wheels step and jump to putting the new crate motor and transmission on. Hopefully by the time that it is finished, the missing parts will have shipped in. I'll try to get some new pics up either tmrow or saturday. Cheers.

Eli

MOUNTAINCRUISER said:
most of the time was spent realizing how many small parts had been lost or swept up during dissasembly. So back to MAF and the local auto parts store to replace rusted or missing bolts and random parts. Do all of you guys that do this amount of rebuilding go through this level of frustration over stupid small and VERY landcruiser specific parts that held you back from re-assembly

No, but we all did once when we were in high school, and now we know to be more careful. :cool:

Damn kid, your doing a great job.

Big props to ya for all your good work, hope my boy grows up and wants to take on such a project.

Rob

Fast Eddy said:
No, but we all did once when we were in high school, and now we know to be more careful. :cool:

Yea- lesson learned. Next time im planning to dissasemble it by myself so I can take my time and know where everything is.

Thanks Rob.

Eli

New Pics

Ok so here are some pics from last night... Dropping in the new 350! yesss. Im sportin my MAF shirt.
View attachment 94278

_MG_6784.jpg

_MG_6807.jpg
_MG_6784.jpg
_MG_6807.jpg

Last edited:
nvm. My only concern is that (according to his directions) I would have to remove my old Gearbox and drill out the rivets. In this case wouldnt that ruin my powdercoat? Thanks

Eli :beer::beer:yea...root beer!

this is why many people don't do powedercoat, hard to touch up. You could probably scuff the powedercoat surrounding area afterwards and just touch up with spray paint, no biggie.

Project looks great, keep the pics coming!

noah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom