Builds My first 80 Series (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was the heavy film of dirt on the surface that I took off. Never seen any build up like this before that was this bad.

Thanks to whereischadjones for the Fumoto!

Stopped by the machine shop and the timing cover and oil pump look fantastic. The oil pump cover had a minor scratch on top of the oil pump, but he said it's no big deal and will clean up like new.

Received some rods in the mail yesterday. Thanks ginericlc! Dropped them off at the machine shop today. One step closer to collecting the parts I need. Trying to decide on pistons. Go stock or ITM, DNJ, or Safety seem to be about the other options short of something like JE. JE would be 8.5 to 1 compression.View attachment 1129476

Arias is also an option. I talked to them about making a set for me, and they will do any compression ratio you like, I didn't want to wait 6 weeks though.

Also, what's a Fumoto?

Here's a picture. For some reason it wouldn't download yesterday when I tried. It's a Japanese made ball drain valve for the oil pan. They're really cool! Also, the fuel pump sock arrived.
IMG_0337.JPG
IMG_0338.JPG

Am I the only one that thinks the ball valve is an insane idea??? Had a friend in the SCCA running one and hit a piece of screwed tire just right and emptied his oil pan and royally screwed his engine. Another friend with one in his jeep hit a branch and opened it up. Luckily he had some e behind him that told him it was pouring oil. Just my experiences. Also out drain plug is straight down....

Thanks for the tip. I'll evaluate that when I get it back together. There is a clip you can add for extra security. I've had several Fumoto's and love the quality. I'm not building a rock crawler here anyways, so for my purposes it may be just fine. Otherwise, there's always another vehicle I can use it on.

That brings up a good question though, how does the oil level sensor work on my '97? I've never had one of those before that I know of.

Thanks to sbman, we have a crankshaft! Dropped it off at the machine shop who hopefully will get to look it over this week. :) Picture wont post again for some reason:
The following error occurred
There was a problem uploading your file.

Here's a pic of the crankshaft. For some reason it's letting me post it today.
IMG_0504.JPG

I still haven't heard back from the machine shop, but he did say the number 1 bearing surface needs some attention.

I picked up a winch from a bud for the project. Thanks bagochips76!
IMG_0517.JPG

Picked up some more parts. Thanks FZJ80Cruiser for the Snorkle!
IMG_0628.JPG

Thanks TomH for the grab bar!
IMG_0626.JPG

And thanks Roman at Toyota of Cool Springs for round 1 of Toyota Parts!
IMG_0627.JPG

In the above picture I picked up a cupholder, diff lock switch, diff lock bulbs and sockets, TEQ cap, 1FZ-FE valve cover sticker, wiper caps, block to oil pan dowel, oil squirter check valve/bolt, and a brake pedal pad.

Last night I started installing some items. I had been working on a friend's Jeep CJ5 and learned what it means when they say, "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand." Well, suffice it to say I now understand and find it very soothing to work on the Land Cruiser in comparison. New cupholder, wiper covers, Teq Oil Cap, and brake pedal pad. I also went to install the diff lock switch, but it looks like I will have to remove the dash panel to get to the plug.
IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0696.JPG
IMG_0699.JPG
IMG_0704.JPG

The used head arrived Friday night, thanks ginericLC. Took it to the machine shop and no cracks found and head straight on preliminary check.

image.jpeg
Installed an ARB roof rack with some friends today. I really like the classic look and gray paint with my collectors edition.

image.jpeg
Removed the dealer sticker off the tailgate. Looks better.

image.jpeg
Head cleaned. Looks good!

It's the machine shop. He said he's had a lot of comments from people on my head like what is that? Toyota makes a big inline 6, 24 valve head? Wow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom