My daily driven 13bt powered BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone , ive been reading up a lot on these forums before i purchased my first landcruiser but was never a member of the site. After i brought her home i thought id sign up and share with you my experience of ownership, along with the adventures i hope to take her on!

On to the Rig : I bought it this way, it was built around a decade ago for a customer by a reputed local 4x4 fabricator and builder . He then sold it to another guy who had it for 5 years before it came into my ownership .
These are the specs to the best of my knowledge
-1980 toyota Bj40 land cruiser
- Custom Bodywork with a bed in the rear and single cabin up front
-powered by a 13bt (from a bj74?)
-Running a custom coil spring setup up front with radius arms and an anti roll bar borrowed from a bj79/hdj80
- Tough dog dampers up front and EFS in the rear (both australian brands you may/may not be familliar with )
-Power steering and A/C
- 35 inch Maxxis bighorn tires with not much tread on them;)
- Two 25 liter water tanks
-11500 lb T-max winch

Some pictures of it

20160617_233015.jpg

Front Coils -

20160611_113744.jpg

First Day with it testing out low range :)

20160610_082709-01[1].jpeg

Next to our family-mobile , a 150 series landcruiser -

20160617_232934.jpg

Rear 3/4 view-

Snapchat-2863855098616276150.jpg

I havent had a proper chance to stretch her legs on the trails yet but hope to in the coming weeks ( still only about a week under my ownership :D )
All ive done so far is gone through a full service (oil , oil filter etc) , refurb the whole Ac system and got the stereo working again. Im looking forward to doing much more (got a lock right locker at home:bounce: ) and sharing it with everyone on the forum. Till the next update :cheers:

Pretty wild rig there mate. I got a BJ74 and that 13B-T is BOSS. Do you have those high pitched horns lol?

Welcome!

Lots of modifications there so she's lot more "hard core" than my standard BJ40.

The work appears to have been nicely done too..

:)

From the closeup pic of the coils, it looks like your main steering rod is bent. Might want to check that.

...which means now you've buttoned back up your shackles with the bent side plate.

And you've got a badly deformed and loose motor mount.

Please park your truck.

Pretty wild rig there mate. I got a BJ74 and that 13B-T is BOSS. Do you have those high pitched horns lol?
Thank you! if you are reffering to the original horns they were shot when i got the vehicle, but i do have a set of air horns on order ;)

...which means now you've buttoned back up your shackles with the bent side plate.

Please park your truck.
hi there , thank you for pointing that out . Ive only worked on cars so far and am fairly new to cruisers , perhaps i can shoot you a pm so that i can better understand what rod exactly you are reffering to ?
I did forget to mention that my motor mounts are bad , and that ive got a new set on the way.
Could this have been caused by the bent rod ?

Welcome!

Lots of modifications there so she's lot more "hard core" than my standard BJ40.

The work appears to have been nicely done too..

:)
Thank you ! Have you got a thread on your cruiser on here?

Now that ive some time behind the wheel , ive come across issues that will need addresing and i hope the veterans on here will help me out/ point me in the right direction. As a side note , I like to think of myself as a DIY-er and love working on anything with wheels :)
What ive come across so far -
- At mid-high rpms the vehicle seems to develop some sort of a cough and starts "choking" if you will. I suspect clogged fuel lines and/or clogged primary filter (or water seperator ? im not sure what its called).

Also im hoping someone here can help me identify the fuel pump on the vehicle (13b or 13bt ? )

20160619_101337_019.jpg

20160619_101308.jpg

- Steering/ suspension ; Whenever i let go of the gas pedal , the vehicle slightly pulls to the right but straightens back when throttle is applied . The tie rod ends are not worn and there is no free play in the steering system (vehicle responds well to slight steering inputs but is not twitchy . I suspect worn radius arm bushings . Another member pointed out that the main steering rod could be bent and im not sure if that contributes to the problem.
Pictures of the steering setup (RHD vehicle ) -

20160619_111203.jpg

20160619_111153.jpg

20160619_111136.jpg

- Motor mounts are shot but ive got a set on order (no local stock :mad: )

Thats about it (all ive come across so far :D ) hope you guys can help me out!:cheers:

Thank you ! Have you got a thread on your cruiser on here?

No I don't have a thread dedicated to my BJ40 but here's a couple of pics of it:
Tojo2.jpg
Tojo1.jpg

From the closeup pic of the coils, it looks like your main steering rod is bent. Might want to check that.

Please park your truck.

65swb45 is joking because there's no way he'd be able to work out any of those things from your photos..

- At mid-high rpms the vehicle seems to develop some sort of a cough and starts "choking" if you will. I suspect clogged fuel lines and/or clogged primary filter (or water seperator ? im not sure what its called)...

I agree with you and I'd be looking for a restriction in the fuel supply too.

...Also im hoping someone here can help me identify the fuel pump on the vehicle (13b or 13bt ? )..

Here's your fuel pump (arrowed):
FuelPump.jpg

(It's the thing your primer pump is mounted on.)

...- Steering/ suspension ; Whenever i let go of the gas pedal , the vehicle slightly pulls to the right but straightens back when throttle is applied . ....

So it pulls to the right for an instant after you take your foot of the accelerator? But only for an instant?

I can't figure that one out, other than to suspect it could maybe be something to do with an axle that's moving into an angle (related to your chassis) when you put the power on, and then returing to its former position when you take your foot off the accelerator.

Vehicles like yours have often been modified for off-road performance with little attention given to on-road manners so this issue may have been present for a long time (with the previous owner either unaware of it or uncaring about fixing it).

:beer:

Welcome to the forum, great looking 40... You have come to the right place for expert help for sure... I too am a newbie who loves to tinker with his 40... This forum has been invaluable for my efforts to resolve my own issues!!! DIY'ing is outright encouraged here! lol Enjoy!

No I don't have a thread dedicated to my BJ40 but here's a couple of pics of it:
View attachment 1278022 View attachment 1278023
Thats a clean 40 you got there ! :D Maybe i wasn't clear enough about the pump , i was asking if anyone knew what model of pump ive got on mine ! Im not sure if the builder mixed parts from a 13b and a 13bt (contacted him but no reply yet) and was wondering which model of engine my pump came from :lol: Perhaps i should go on the diesel tech section of the site but thank you anyway :cheers:

Ive got my hands full till the end of this week , expect to see more pictures and updates starting next Monday! :D

Maybe i wasn't clear enough about the pump , i was asking if anyone knew what model of pump ive got on mine ! Im not sure if the builder mixed parts from a 13b and a 13bt (contacted him but no reply yet) and was wondering which model of engine my pump came from :lol: Perhaps i should go on the diesel tech section of the site but thank you anyway :cheers:

So you mean the injector pump ... part number 22100-58440?

If so, that's from a 13B in a 1987/1988 Dyna/Toyoace I believe.

Yes that is what i was after , thank you !

I've got a lock right locker sitting in a box ,
20160621_100016.jpg

and im still debating on whether to put it on the vehicle. Anybody has a link to a Install guide specific to the 40 Series ?
I've read conflicting reviews on the internet regarding its on road behaviour and daily usability. The previous owner had taken it off because he didn't like the way it handles. That being said , heres a shot of him on lockers three wheeling mid corner :D

FB_IMG_1466484633279.jpg

So it pulls to the right for an instant after you take your foot of the accelerator? But only for an instant?

I can't figure that one out, other than to suspect it could maybe be something to do with an axle that's moving into an angle (related to your chassis) when you put the power on, and then returing to its former position when you take your foot off the accelerator.

Vehicles like yours have often been modified for off-road performance with little attention given to on-road manners so this issue may have been present for a long time (with the previous owner either unaware of it or uncaring about fixing it).

I will be putting it up on a car lift next week and inspecting the radius arm bushes because the radius arms are the only link keeping the axle in place ( in regard to fore and aft movement ) , making them the main suspect . If the bushes are worn it'd be a simple fix :D Will update as soon as it comes off the lift :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom