Builds My BJ R 60 !! resurrected, almost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome build, congrats
hey petey, way to get after it dude! i, as a rule, don't really like plate bumpers, but this one sure tickles my fancy. i believe part of the reason is i won't drink the arb/knockoff kool-aid n this one shows thought put into the design rather than just blindly following what others have done. 👍

Thanks a lot guy's !! :cheers:

The ARB's are Kool, just everyone almost seem's to have them, I wanted something a little stronger since we are in moose territory up here.I almost ordered one to save e some time. Much happier I decided to make one. I do have some tool's so gotta put them to use. 👍

Well, today was a short shakedown run up to another friend's camp up in the wood's. Road conditions are the worst they will be all year because of the melt off and too much traffic which means pothole paradise ! But is the best time to test me new suspension, maybe 5 miles past my place, wet, muddy, snow, etc. ( Logging roads) Had to test it out as they will be grading it once it dries out in a few week's.

IMG_0639.jpeg

RIG RIDES AMAZZING !!! Holy shat !! Shocks seem insane, looks like I'll be using these on other rigs ! Kinda hard to describe how rough the road is. In a new truck you can not run more than 5,10 miles an hour without your teeth falling out or the truck falling apart, the holes are that bad !
Well, I passed three going prolly 35,40 MPH ( forgot to plug the speedo ) tracks straight as an arrow, I am impressed to say the least.

I can only imagine how well a 60 with coil's could be. Gonna have it put on a table this week to check caster and finish setting up the front from there. Steering box seem's to need an adjustment, not 100 % sure yet.

Engine wise, well, it's ok, but boost will be in it's future for sure. I do want to finish interior and roof rack before that road..

:cheers: :D

Ok boys and girls, haven't posted since, well, May 10..... Been busy as hell helping my buddy get his rig ready also. His rig had bed liner installed on the bottom of it and we thought just repainting the bottom would do for this year. Clean rig from Florida with almost no rust, but a few flaws, rock chips, scratches, and some very, very bad previous paintless dent repair. We thought maybe a week's worth of work and it turned into two weeks +, ( gotta love body work ) :worms:

IMG_0650.JPG

Looked good, he had removed liner prior to dropping it off here, and we really had not looked to hard at it, but once you start looking you find stuff. This rig is so clean you kinda have to treat it right.

Had a small rust through on the right wheel well which he found was a mice nest..We found it had been hit in the front RH fender, valance area which was repaired for resale and had an inch of bondo so I wanted to fix that proper also. The plan was to respray bottom only and blend somewhere near ( below ) the door handles.... BUT...
IMG_0652.JPG
IMG_0654.JPG
IMG_0655.JPG
IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

Nice,clean, almost no rust, never thought I'd see one of these..
We pulled the tailgates off to paint as the inner were pretty ugly and wanted the part repainted also, while pulling the liner down to get to the hinge bolts....

IMG_0664.JPG

We knew down the road we would have to pull the side glass as the slider windows need some love, and the fact that the windshield has to be replaced, might as well check for rust right ? Head liner has to come out anyway..:bang::worms:

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

:bang:

They didn't even bother to weld up the stud holes or hammer out the metal,just bondo over it, sand it,and ship it. I hate these guys...

Here is the VERY BAD DENT WORK, LH quarter panel, heck, they didn't even finished the dent, paint was all cracked and rusting..

IMG_0672.JPG
IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

long story short, here is where we ended up with all the repairs and primer...

IMG_0763.JPG

:bang:

Wow impressive work!

Yeah, really great work. I love all these threads lately of 60's getting the royal paint treatment! People are doing really quality work, no Maaco specials here.

Did manage to get some work done on mine as I am taking her out on a few shakedown runs. Got 149 KMS in this weekend, it had a few issues that I took care of before I killed myself ! o_O

IMG_0840.JPG

Thank god fore a thread a few weeks back about bad TRE's, made me look at mine, and, well, i noticed that they weren't adjusted proper and without any cotter pins to lock in the adjustment. also noticed that they were rubbing together, not good...
The ball joint end went to far in the taperd end.. ( I won't say where they are from )

IMG_0812.JPG
IMG_0820.JPG

Another lesson learned..👍
All fixed for now, but I will order some good Japan made ones to replace these.

IMG_0821.JPG

I still need to head to the alignment shop to check for caster readout, I put in some shims as I felt the steering felt a little to heavy and it help, so I will wait to know the exact numbers on caster. Steering still feels a little sloppy but I never rode a 60 before, so not sure on the steering stuff yet.
One thing I think I have to change out for sure is the tires ! They are to heavy and wide, it kills the power and make the steering way to difficult with those. On Sunday to test my theory, I put the 35's I have on my 40 which are 12.5's on widend stock steelies and went for another zip. low and behold, steering is Way better, feels lighter, does not kick in ruts as much, so, i guess I need a new wheel setup.. :bang:

IMG_0830.JPG

IMG_0838.JPG

I will try to keep them on 15's as I like a lot of rubber on the tire and makes ride nice, if I can, I will have my friend widen another set of wheels as I have plenty and I really like the look of the stockers.

Now a question for you fellas ?? What colour would you suggest for this wheels ???

IMG_0836.JPG

I would like something other than gloss black, I find they don't stand out well ?

AND finally for today, it's X- has time !! :santa: :bounce2: :bounce:
This came in Friday, and I think its the part for the interior that excites me the most !!! Big Thanks Jason @TRAIL TAILOR 👍

This bezel is amazing, so glad you had a few left.. Get'm while you can boy's..

IMG_0823.JPG

:cheers:

I still need to head to the alignment shop to check for caster readout, I put in some shims as I felt the steering felt a little to heavy and it help, so I will wait to know the exact numbers on caster. Steering still feels a little sloppy but I never rode a 60 before, so not sure on the steering stuff yet.
One thing I think I have to change out for sure is the tires ! They are to heavy and wide, it kills the power and make the steering way to difficult with those. On Sunday to test my theory, I put the 35's I have on my 40 which are 12.5's on widend stock steelies and went for another zip. low and behold, steering is Way better, feels lighter, does not kick in ruts as much, so, i guess I need a new wheel setup.. :bang:

View attachment 2326728

View attachment 2326731

I will try to keep them on 15's as I like a lot of rubber on the tire and makes ride nice, if I can, I will have my friend widen another set of wheels as I have plenty and I really like the look of the stockers.

Now a question for you fellas ?? What colour would you suggest for this wheels ???

View attachment 2326739

I would like something other than gloss black, I find they don't stand out well ?

AND finally for today, it's X- has time !! :santa: :bounce2: :bounce:
This came in Friday, and I think its the part for the interior that excites me the most !!! Big Thanks Jason @TRAIL TAILOR 👍

This bezel is amazing, so glad you had a few left.. Get'm while you can boy's..

View attachment 2326745

:cheers:

You are more than welcome my friend. Glad it meets your approval.

J

Gold for the wheels.

HAHA, Thanks Johnny, was hoping someone would suggest gold. between gold or bronze really, but I think gold well done would look good.
Now I just gotta find a good gold, not to cheesy. I wish @dogfishlake lived closer.. :bang: We don't have a good powder coater round these parts...
Gonna try'n find a Kool gold to match " G " EMBLEM ??

Looks like I'm a gonna need a nother set of wheels widend and some new caps...

suzuki mike 024.jpg
suzuki mike 025.jpg

I just ordered a set of Cooper ST max tires, Thanks to @TRAIL TAILOR for me spending again, haha...

HAHA, Thanks Johnny, was hoping someone would suggest gold. between gold or bronze really, but I think gold well done would look good.
Now I just gotta find a good gold, not to cheesy. I wish @dogfishlake lived closer.. :bang: We don't have a good powder coater round these parts...
Gonna try'n find a Kool gold to match " G " EMBLEM ??

Looks like I'm a gonna need a nother set of wheels widend and some new caps...

View attachment 2327462View attachment 2327463

I just ordered a set of Cooper ST max tires, Thanks to @TRAIL TAILOR for me spending again, haha...

Go to Prismatic Powders website and check out colors there. There will be a ton of choices, and customer photos. Then you can order up to 5 chips no charge and have them sent to you to look at. Take the one you pick to your local coater and at least they can order that powder (4-5 wheels should be about 4 pounds max). Whether they do a good job is another question lol. It really is a no brainer as long as they blast them well and prebake them a bit after they are washed in pretreatment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom