Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Danny

Thinking of you and Chester....

Time will heal the wounds...

Sorry for for your loss

Thinking of you and Chester.

Thanks Mates!!

Chester and I took a drive and a hike today... we had to, Chester was very depressed... as was I... a few pictures

IMG_2956.JPG
IMG_2959.JPG
IMG_2960.JPG
IMG_2962.JPG

Chester is drawn to shade... probably that heavy coat.

IMG_2964.JPG

Sorry to hear about the passing of your buddy sir.

Wish we could've connected when I was in Vegas so I could've met Gunner before he drove off in his Land Cruiser up to the sky. I'm sure you gave him some good guidance so he'll create some great adventures until he sees you again.

Hang in there, remember the good times, and celebrate his time here. Lots of great memories. I like this quote (but it's okay to cry too):

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

Wish we could've connected when I was in Vegas so I could've met Gunner before he drove off in his Land Cruiser up to the sky. I'm sure you gave him some good guidance so he'll create some great adventures until he sees you again.

Hang in there, remember the good times, and celebrate his time here. Lots of great memories. I like this quote (but it's okay to cry too):

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

Good quote... Thanks Mike!!

So sorry Danny .I wish it did not have to be this way.

Thanks!!

Me too, but it is what it is...

Sorry to hear about Gunner
Think I read the mrs. Is out of town.
Sounds like the perfect time to sneak Chester into sleeping in the bed. I do with my dogs whenever my wife is gone. She always knows when she gets back.

Thanks!!

We've had two Golden Retrievers in bed with us for years... They even have their own sleep number. :cool:

Man , sorry to hear about Chester , Danny - that is one dog that will be truly missed in the pages here and elsewhere in electronicland ....

Haven't checked in for awhile - then find this news....

Sarge

Thanks Sarge!!

Gunner was moaning a lot... He's not moaning any more.

Hope everything is ok with you... You've been missed.

That third pic in the previous post really shows the connection between you and your dogs, and why in the pics they always look so happy and contented. It is real good that you are getting out with 44 and Chester so soon. Very good therapy for you, Chester, and 44.

It must be starting to feel warmer there. The pics show it. I went into town today chasing parts for the van, and a freezer I just got. I saw 58* on the thermometer in the pickup, but it was raining cats and dogs though.

Keep working on the therapy. All three of you need it.

Don

That third pic in the previous post really shows the connection between you and your dogs, and why in the pics they always look so happy and contented. It is real good that you are getting out with 44 and Chester so soon. Very good therapy for you, Chester, and 44.

It must be starting to feel warmer there. The pics show it. I went into town today chasing parts for the van, and a freezer I just got. I saw 58* on the thermometer in the pickup, but it was raining cats and dogs though.

Keep working on the therapy. All three of you need it.

Don

So true, Don!!

Chester just turned 2 in mid-December and we've developed a very close friendship... Absent Gunner, Chester is my entire focus... And I'm his.

I generally relate better to my dogs than to most people... They are always ready to do whatever I want to do... They keep me active and I try to keep them safe... I failed Gunner when the pit bulls attacked... But, that was mostly because I had just had back surgery... And it won't happen with Chester... I carry Mace and a close quarter knife... I can't use a gun in that situation... Too many errant shot possibilities.

Anyway, we will be going out as often as possible... We like the solitude and the endless possibilities... Don't like walking on hard surface, around the neighborhood.

But, you're right... It was mid 80s today... 4th or 5th day in a row... So, Chester had to be tethered to my belt loop... too many possibilities of a snake encounter.

Thanks for the advice, Don!!

Man , sorry to hear about Chester , Danny - that is one dog that will be truly missed in the pages here and elsewhere in electronicland ....

Haven't checked in for awhile - then find this news....

Sarge

Welcome back Kevin!

WOW, I am just now catching up on this thread Danny, I am so sorry to hear about Gunner. Gunner lived a life that most dogs would love to have lived, explored more land than most people will ever get to witness!

WOW, I am just now catching up on this thread Danny, I am so sorry to hear about Gunner. Gunner lived a life that most dogs would love to have lived, explored more land than most people will ever get to witness!

Thanks Ryan!!

Dianna's back home and she's pretty devestated too... She said, "Who's going to hike with me?".

Gunner hiked the 12k' Tobacco Lake trail, near Conejos Peak, CO, every year. She and Tommy (S-I-L) made the 10 mile hike, with Gunner and Tommy's dogs... My back wouldn't let me hike it... I was going to be able to hike it this year.

I reminded her that Chester would go.

The most difficult part of this was the speed with which it unfolded... Two minor instances of "confusion/lost" in mid Feb, diagnosed on March 1st, gone on March 12th.

We'll get over it... With Chester's help and Chester's adventures.

I sincerely appreciate the good thoughts everyone has sent our way.

Chester and I drove to the refuge to hike a completely new (to us) area... We met a couple from England, driving an '80 Land Rover that they brought with them from Gibralter... Nice couple!!

While talking to them, I let 44 idle... When I drove away from them, 44 sputtered and died... The main tank fuel pump wasn't pumping any fuel... I switched to the Aux tank and started her back up. I switched back to the min tank and the fuel pressure was 0 psi... Back to the Aux and on to the the trailhead... I'll have to look into my main fuel pump later.... Note: when we finished our hike and started home, I found the main fuel pump again working... Could be overheating/defective... I used it all the way home, with no problem.

We hiked to a gap in Fossil Ridge and up a drainage, to the summit.. Then down the other side...what started out to be an easy descent, turns into the roughest drainage I've ever hiked... numerous water-polished stone tubes or slides, that I descended with Chester right against my back... No problem, until we reached one with a 12' drop... We navigated it... Only to find the last dry waterfall was a 50' vertical drop, with sheer sides, on both sides of the tube.

Disheartening and disconcerting, to say the least... We had to climb back up three tubes, lifting Chester back up two of them... Then we found a spot that allowed us to summit a ridge, with a long view of the snow capped Spring Mountains.

We were able to descend to the bottom, by squatting on our haunches and 'skiing' down a slide, on soles of our boots... To be clear, I don't know whether Chester squatted or not... He stayed right against my backpack.

Once we were finally at the bottom, we were very tired, but we hiked the 3 miles around Fossil Ridge and back to 44... Ran out of water just before we reached 44.

Needless to say, I won't do that again... At the final obstacle, I seriously considered calling in a rescue, or an air strike... We were exhausted.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom