Must-Do Beginner Trail Recs (CO) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Evening all, hope the holidays and going well for everyone.

I’m compiling a list of beginner-friendly trails in CO that myself and the fiance want to complete, finding some good looking ones on OnX and TrailsOffroad.

Looking for recommendations as far as must-do trails in CO, that aren’t going to be very too technical. I’d love to do some of the famous passes, but I’m in an LX570 with 34’s and underbody armor, otherwise stock (no sliders/bumpers yet). Trucks paid off, but limited experience and would like to keep it at least presentable until I can get it built out how I’d like before pushing its (and my own) limits.

I ran a couple keywords here and didn’t find any list along those lines, and just thought I’d propose a compilation here. Feel free to redirect if there’s already a centralized list.

Thanks all.

I see you're in Fort Collins. Pole hill is a great one just outside of Estes Park and has a great overlook of the town and RMNP
PXL_20231022_141514815.ACTION_PAN.jpg

I see you're in Fort Collins. Pole hill is a great one just outside of Estes Park and has a great overlook of the town and RMNP
View attachment 3517882
Great rec, thank you… have done the road climb past Carter lakes north entrance a bunch on a road bike and didn’t think to explore the extension. Thanks!

Three of the more “suspension friendly” are:

Weston Pass (Basically FairPlay to Leadville with great places to hang out on both ends... or can be done in reverse... nice 40 mile drive)

Boreas Pass - starts just south of Breckenridge... considered “moderate” on some blogs, but I mostly saw stock SUV’s on the trail and even spotted a Honda mini-van headed up the pass (fwiw, the west side up the pass is much easier and that is where the mini-van was spotted). I found the historic train station at the top of pass (managed by the park service) interesting as well

Ophir Pass (south of Ouray to south of Telluride... again can be done either direction...one of the easier trails in the San Juan’s with some nice scenery/views)

Weston Pass (Basically FairPlay to Leadville with great places to hang out on both ends... or can be done in reverse... nice 40 mile drive)

Boreas Pass - starts just south of Breckenridge... considered “moderate” on some blogs, but I mostly saw stock SUV’s on the trail and even spotted a Honda mini-van headed up the pass (fwiw, the west side up the pass is much easier and that is where the mini-van was spotted). I found the historic train station at the top of pass (managed by the park service) interesting as well

Ophir Pass (south of Ouray to south of Telluride... again can be done either direction...one of the easier trails in the San Juan’s with some nice scenery/views)
Thank you so much for your time here, awesome recs. Geographically I think that makes for probably a perfect couple days hitting some trails, a 14er or two and some beers away from Ft Collins. Thank you!

A shorter one that I did a few years back was Switzerland Pass. Relatively short and easy, but absolutely gorgeous. Can be done in a few hours without issue.

Following this thread as well, looking at a possible CO/UT trip this year.

A shorter one that I did a few years back was Switzerland Pass. Relatively short and easy, but absolutely gorgeous. Can be done in a few hours without issue.

Following this thread as well, looking at a possible CO/UT trip this year.
Good recommendation, thank you, this one is actually pretty close to me as well so this could be a super convenient Sunday Funday trail, thanks!

If your trip takes you through Fort Collins and I’m free, give me a shout.. I’m an easy sell on a beer and pizza on your way through!

Good recommendation, thank you, this one is actually pretty close to me as well so this could be a super convenient Sunday Funday trail, thanks!

If your trip takes you through Fort Collins and I’m free, give me a shout.. I’m an easy sell on a beer and pizza on your way through!
Deal! Hmmm I know New Belgium is up that way...

Hey @GOLIGHTLY you’ll want the FunTreks for Norhtern CO too to find the trails closer to home: https://a.co/d/cXIGZRw

Once the snow and mud clear, hit me up if you want a trail buddy some weekend.
Thanks for the recommendation, I actually didn’t realize there was a northern one lol.

Thanks man, will do. Hopping this round melts quick

i'll second ophir.

On my return from 2 yr ski bum tour of Utah to san diego, ran through telluride on a way too loaded stock 60 (just shy of running on bump stops), could barely get it to roll in 1st high. Anyway, no problem for your rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom