Muffler needed / 83 Fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jim S.

SILVER Star
Threads
I have searched and can't find any thing recent that applies. Looking for OEM style that tucks up and is quiet. Any one with experience on 79 through 83 models please chime in. Thanks.

D202B38B-2023-42D5-A7E2-228A198D11CA.jpeg

^^^^ I appreciate the response but that is unobtainium. Would like something similar though.

Few places still show it available. Could give them a shot. Probably won't have it but doesn't hurt to try. Done it many times and have come up empty ever time but never lost any money trying.

My 79 has a aftermarket muffler that looks close. I have no idea when it was done. Was on before I bought it. I have an OEMuffler/tailpipe I bought a few years ago to have when I restore it. Doesn't seem that long ago but guessing five years plus. If you have the original would check a few muffler shops and see if they come up with something that looks stock.

I bought the muffler about two years ago for my 81. Check with your local dealer as shipping is outrageous.

I bought the muffler about two years ago for my 81. Check with your local dealer as shipping is outrageous.

Believe the part has become NLA just lately. If you search online some dealers are offering a Toyota sponsored free shipping up to $200 on orders over $75. Few dealer like this I checked show NLA. I bought my spare figuring this would happen sooner or later. Wait long enough maybe will come back under Toyota's Heritage program. But that roll out seems to be really slow and haven't seen a list of what that plan on bringing back. The aftermarket on my 79 is fairly close. It uses the 75-78 style hanger on the end. They also welded the inlet verses the three bolt flange. Could use current inlet flange as that is much heavier metal than the tailpipe. Possible use the rear hanger bracket off the old one. Really matter of finding a close aftermarket. Obviously mine will have to have a flange welded onto the inlet pipe as those are NLA as well. Have a header pipe (first section of pipe after the manifold) in Australia that routes the exhaust over the frame frame verses under like on the 79/80. Besides an awful location for going off road it also interferes with the PTO driveshaft. That pipe is aftermarket as original is NLA. Was lucky a friend in Australia located that in Tasmania.

I bought the tail pipe a couple of years ago from Cruiserparts. I went against my better judgement to do so, having heard all the terrible experiences that people had had with them. Still, I held my nose and placed the order. A couple of weeks later it showed up on my doorstep. I guess I should have bought lottery tickets that day too!

IMG_4199[1].JPG

IMG_4200[1].JPG

I checked on line and with my parts friend at the dealer and it's discontinued. The local classic car guys use a shop close to me, and seem to have a good reputation.
Will visit with them and see what develops. Thank you all for posting up. Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom