'Mud pet memorial thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry for the loss Doug... I agree with @Spook50 that this thread makes me well up and bawl like a little girl everytime but it is also a great feeling to see all the loved "furry children" out there. We know it won't be the same for quite a while after ours have gone and same with yours. Let them tell you when they are ready to go, and in the meantime let them live their life to the fullest.

Been months and I still have not cleaned the nose markers (dog hieroglyphs) off the passenger window of the cruiser and refuse to do so. Just one last memory of him and something I smile at on mornings like today where the windows are cold/frosted and they shine bright. Let's me know he is ok and smiling down on us.

From an old court case from the 1800s

Gentlemen of the jury; The best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it the most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads. The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog.

Gentlemen of the jury: A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies, and when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death.

Lost the little beagle mix co-pilot, camping and hiking buddy about a month ago at nearly 15 years. She was always up for a truck ride, and had learned how to put the windows down in the 80 series all the time. Still too quiet around the house.

DSCF0747.jpg

Lost the little beagle mix co-pilot, camping and hiking buddy about a month ago at nearly 15 years. She was always up for a truck ride, and had learned how to put the windows down in the 80 series all the time. Still too quiet around the house.

I feel your pain... Very sorry for your loss...

It was a sad night for our family last Friday as we said our final farewell to my best buddy.

Jayhawker’s Spot The Magic was born June 13, 2001, son of Kinwashkly’s Trademarks Magician and Jayhawker’s Priddy Kiddy Rosalie. I took him home at 8 weeks old and for almost 14 years he never left my side.

It took a while to find a suitable name for him. At about 10 weeks old we’d gone out to Waiporous with the Calgary Jeep club for a little off roading. Some of the girls couldn’t believe that I hadn’t named him yet so they took it upon themselves to find him one. From that day on he was known as Pee-J.

When he was young and I was single we spent a lot of time in the back country, hiking, camping, fishing, etc.. I remember one trip in particular – we went back out to Waiporous and camped at Margaret Lake.

It was mid-week and we had the place to ourselves, not another soul for miles. I had the top down on the jeep and when we pulled up to the lake and I unhooked his harness he jumped off the back and was gone… running, jumping, sniffing, digging… all the stuff that dogs love to do. I grabbed my pack and hiked around the lake to set up camp. Then back to the jeep for my fly rod and float tube and I hit the water.

I fished while he ran. Sometimes he’d disappear into the trees only to show up on the other side of the lake. He ran all afternoon and must have done at least 6 laps of the lake before he finally slowed down and had a nap on the beach.

With him sleeping I turned around to fish the opposite shore. A while later I heard splashing and panting behind me - he’d swum out to the middle of the lake and looked absolutely exhausted. I grabbed his harness and hauled him up onto my float tube and gave him a ride back to camp. Of course it was then that I hooked on to a nice trout. Pee-J wasn’t too sure what to make of it when I finally got it in the net. Then back to camp where he slept for a couple days!

Even though he was really birdy I never hunted much with Pee-J. He always stayed close at home but things were different when he was off leash in the woods or fields. Then he turned into a runner and I could never keep him within shotgun range. He was always happier a ½ mile further down the trail!

Later on, after I met my wife (thanks to Pee-J!) he started to slow down a bit and enjoy the creature comforts of life. Things like sleeping on the bed, under the blankets of course, or lazing the day away on the couch in my office. At the dog park he was still young at heart, even though the arthritis would make him pay later for all the fun he’d had that day.

He was such a good dog that he converted my wife from being a fan of golden retrievers to a fan of brittanys. We ended up with 2 more of the crazy buggers!

I’m going to miss you bud. The way you cocked your head to the side. The way you would stick your nose next to mine, so close but never touching, never licking, just sniffing! The way you would sleep on the bath mat waiting for me to get out of the shower. The way you’d nudge your head under my elbow to get attention. Yup, I’m really going to miss you.

Til we meet again

Had to put down my buddy yesterday. Bipo was sixteen years old and had diabetes. He was truly one of a kind and was full of piss and vinegar, until about three weeks ago. Gonna take some time to fill this hole in our lives.
Bipo 02.jpg

Sorry man. I had two die at that age and haven't replaced them. Hang in there!

Thanks. We still have Bipo's mom she's 18 yrs. going deaf but otherwise healthy. When she's gone, no more for us either.

Sorry man, he sounds like a winner who enjoyed a happy life in a good home.

I've lost two in five years. The first tore me up. I didn't think I could relate to another pet. Then the perfect replacement came along 13 days later. Shortly after bringing her home, I realized she needed me as much as I needed her. She's been my baby ever since.

Don't fear moving on. There are more good pets than good homes. Bipo would want you to be happy.

Thanks Brother.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439436829.751950.jpg

This was Rio. The perfect dog gone too soon. Lung blew up during a CT scan when the ventilator malfunctioned. Was injured trying to maul a squirrel. Ran into a gate post head on. Couldn't stop in the mud due to his wobblers disease taking away his core strength. But. From the first day we had him it was amazing. He weighed 100# on his first birthday and had to run him 5+ times a day to keep him there. As you can see he would get the paper for me everyday. Just open the door and say paper and he would run around the house to the end of the drive to get it. He could find anything on command. We couldn't train him to hunt due to having puppy mange when we rescued him. But he overcame that and was a bundle of energy every day. He even fought off a few coyotes that tried to eat our beagle mix one night. Then licked his wounds until we could get to him. As a side note our other lab Max got attacked by yotes Christmas 13 but survived 24 sets of puncture wounds. Anyway. Rio is missed and we talk about him all the time. Last thing. Even as big as he was he would jump on the bed and lay on top of me until I'd get up to run him every day. When he couldn't jump that high due to his back he would pace and bump the bed until someone got up.

Sorry bro, they never last long enough.

Wish words could help, but I know they don't. Rio was one tough buddy. He went through more than most and came out smiling. He's at rest now and not in any pain. He was truly loved and could not have had a better life.

Just a reminder or a thought, this time of year is the time to be extra careful or better yet get your pooch enrolled in a snake aversion class. My neighbor and good friend just lost his buddy today.:(

Aug 21st, we said goodbye to Phoebe after having rescued her 10 years ago. Her former family divorced, and she did not like or trust men. We gave her much love, and she came to know and trust me as her master. She kept my company during the days, and welcomed each of home daily from work and school. She loved to ride, walk while I rode the bicycle, she waited anxiously at the window whenever I had to leave, and was always by our side in the house.

She hopped up on my son's bed on her last day, had a stroke / seizure, and was not able to overcome the harm it did. We've had 3 adult dogs over the last 20 years, and loosing Phoebe was hard. I hate having to make that decision for a family pet, but we know it was for her best and for ours, as well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Goobye sweet girl, until we ride again!

Sorry for your loss. Kudos for rescuing a special needs pet. Helping her overcome her phobia must have made your bond especially strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom