Mounting a winch to an early 60 ARB bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
I bought my early ARB bumper used. The previous owner had a winch on it, but he would never respond to my messages on how to mount it.

Should the bumper have a plate for the winch to attach or does a generic plate come with the winches?

I'm confused, help.

pretty sure all ARB bumpers lay the winch flat. The bottom of the winch bolts to the inside face of the channel.
With that system an 8274 will use the same mounting position as a planetary winch. Saves on having a couple different
bumper designs
Depending how early the bumper is you may be limited to only a few winch choices

Last edited:
I was probably one of the first people (or so) to import an ARB winch bull bar into the USA to mount on a FJ60. I purchased mine directly from ARB Australia in 1988.
So it's doubtful there is an ARB bumper in the USA that is older than mine.

That being said,
that bumper was designed to mount the Warn M8274, M8000, M10,000 and M12000 without any modification to the bumper. All those winches just bolt right on. I had the M10000.

That being said,
Here's the mounting pattern for the Warn M12000. It's mounting holes line up exactly with the old ARB bumper. No adapter needed. It will just barely fit in the winch mounting space of the bumper. Tight fit. But it fits and doesn't hit anything.

image.jpeg

Is it the four bolt holes horizontally opposed on the uprights?

I can't see what else it bolts too or I'm missing something really obvious.

IMG_2393.JPG

IMG_2395.JPG

IMG_2396.JPG

I thought the 8274 had its own Arb bar. Mine is 2002 or so and made for the 12k or 10k, I put a 10k on, actaully was able to install it with the bumper mounted. I did not think an 8274 woukd work on it, they had 2 choices.

My 1st ARB product was a Roberts locking diff(renamed ARB air locker).....when Jim was them pretty much selling the out of his truck, night after ARB USA was formed, think late in 1988

I may have a ARB bumper for something other than a 8274, but bought it used. I had to slightly trim to fit My 8274-50 for the brake to clear. no big deal .. fit perfect otherwise

pretty sure all ARB bumpers lay the winch flat. The bottom of the winch bolts to the inside face of the channel.
With that system an 8274 will use the same mounting position as a planetary winch. Saves on having a couple different
bumper designs
Depending how early the bumper is you may be limited to only a few winch choices

ARB did two designs, not one if I recall correctly. The designs are all the same except the location of the four mounting holes and the rope slot.

I was probably one of the first people (or so) to import an ARB winch bull bar into the USA to mount on a FJ60. I purchased mine directly from ARB Australia in 1988.
So it's doubtful there is an ARB bumper in the USA that is older than mine.

That being said,
that bumper was designed to mount the Warn M8274, M8000, M10,000 and M12000 without any modification to the bumper. All those winches just bolt right on. I had the M10000.

That being said,
Here's the mounting pattern for the Warn M12000. It's mounting holes line up exactly with the old ARB bumper. No adapter needed. It will just barely fit in the winch mounting space of the bumper. Tight fit. But it fits and doesn't hit anything.

I thought the 8274 had its own Arb bar. Mine is 2002 or so and made for the 12k or 10k, I put a 10k on, actaully was able to install it with the bumper mounted. I did not think an 8274 woukd work on it, they had 2 choices.

There are at least two different styles of the first release of ARB bumpers. One is for a 8274 and one for a M10K. Each has their own mounting hole locations. I don't remember which is which but what changes is the location of the four mounting holes, left to right. The M12K fits in the M10K bar with a little cutting. But neither the M10K or M12K fits inthe 8274 bull bar as it the mounting holes and rope hole are centered.

heres a link with some info on mounting a M12K in the bumper that you have.
Texas4x4.org Member Galleries :: Winch bumper

Yes the winch mounts to the front face of the bumper. 4 bolts (6 on mine). The winch is getting pulled into the bumper. Cable at the bottom. The top mounting bolts just keep it from rotating downwards.

Here's mine (galvanized 16 years ago)

View attachment 1396824

I think this is the 8274 winch bumper.

When I mounted the 8274 to an older style ARB, it bolted up fine, but I had to trim (remove) the two flat light mount tabs.
You can see which ones looking at the pictures in post#4.

Mine was a 8274 model that I converted to run a standard winch. I had to cut out two gussets that ran between the front face of the bar and the two vertical uprights to make the winch fit, but otherwise no issues. I looked at photos of the two styles before I did it and saw no other bracing or gusseting that would cause problems....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom