Mountain Bikes - show/tell me how you lug yours around! (1 Viewer)

Kuat NV rack with the kuat pivot attachement.

DC06EB2C-D058-4139-830E-B42C4C23A030.jpeg

What are your thoughts on this? I've been thinking about getting a pivot to use with my 1UP so I can actually access my tailgate.

It's one of those things you don't order right away because of price...then you buy it, and realize you should have ordered it a while ago. I love it. The pivot lives on my truck now, and I just take off the bike rack once in a while if I'm going to the trials for a while.

I have not yet worked out how I'm going to fit my existing 1-Up rack on my 2014 LC with ARB split rear bumper while still maintaining the ability to open the bumpers and the tailgate, but I was able to fit two bikes --along with two weeks worth of stuff --in the back of the truck with ease. Our trip was mostly centered around non-biking activities so I needed to be able to secure the bikes inside the truck. It only took about 30 minutes at the beginning and end of each ride to setup/breakdown the bikes because I was not shipping these things and thus didn't need to be too fussy about the packing. Also, carried both front wheels in seperate boxes.

IMG_20201003_092848.jpg

Any of you guys get tired of your 1Up racks, let me know. I can't find any deals on used ones.
Good luck. Up my way a nice used one sells for 80-90% of new. I sold my 4 bike for $850, the 2 bike main rack was 5 years old the two one bike add ones were <1 year old. They are one of those small volume well built products where demand > supply. They hold their value extremely well.

My go to for used bike stuff is

Currently there are three posts for 1up wanted and none for sale.

My go to for used bike stuff is

Currently there are three posts for 1up wanted and none for sale.

based on how heavy these racks are and how high the secondary market is priced, best to buy new. That is impossible for some of the better racks due to supply chain issues.

Had a 1up for 2 bikes and it was great! Went to 4 bikes and it sucked, huge, heavy,... sold it and got a north shore-4, been happy ever since.

What's your best guess on the weight difference between the two? I have the OG NV that definitely weighs more than the 1Up. I've only had it on my 5th Gen 4R and it felt like a trailer. I'm thinking the NS might be the way to go!!

What's your best guess on the weight difference between the two? I have the OG NV that definitely weighs more than the 1Up. I've only had it on my 5th Gen 4R and it felt like a trailer. I'm thinking the NS might be the way to go!!
My 1up was ~90 lbs, hung almost 6’ off the bumper and off the truck took up almost as much floor space as my wife’s car. My NS is <40 lbs and almost folds flat. For 2 bikes the 1up was great. 4 bikes NS is better in every way.

My 1up was ~90 lbs, hung almost 6’ off the bumper and off the truck took up almost as much floor space as my wife’s car. My NS is <40 lbs and almost folds flat. For 2 bikes the 1up was great. 4 bikes NS is better in every way.

Right on! That's what I was hoping to hear!

I hate to sell a perfectly good rack, especially one that is made by company that's headquarters is only 3 hours away from me, but the NS makes a lot of sense!!

davegonz

Keeping it Weird
SILVER Star
Yeah, I hear you on the weight/size of the 4 bike platform racks. I'm looking for a single or a double since it's I'm driving solo most of the time.

Huge fan of the 1up racks. I bought my 80 just to be my mountain bike machine and use my 1up racks and I'm not sure I could be happier with the whole solution.

Only downside is that I cannot open the hatch all the way without (1) folding down the rack or (2) having no bikes on the back. Opening it just a little to throw helmets, etc in there works just fine however!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom