more Trail Gear drama (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you for the follow up! I am glad to hear there is a positive outcome to this potentially disastrous situation and that those involved in the incident are getting involved with preservation.

We (as an OHV community) can not just "take" from what we have been given but must all learn to "give" and help preserve it as well. It is a harder lesson for some more then others, but this is an incident we can ALL learn from.

From the Forest service report
"...He was also surprised how protective the local community is of its OHV routes....."

I certainly wish that our OHV community was as protective of its routes as you folks are out there. Our national orv organizations in this important area encourage 'leaders' in our community to become part of their boards....yet 'look the other way' when these same people grab large chunks of our land to be shut down to everybody but themselves. ("shared trails" my arse).

The more important issue here was the one that Mark brought up earlier and one that was maybe overlooked by many:

"...What I see though, is a much bigger problem. These pics reminded me of Bill Burkes open letter 2 years ago about what he saw at Moab and the total lack of regard for the enviroment with some wheelers...."

These national orv organizations aren't going after these 'average we don't care wheelers' who might possibly just send them some money in someday...any more than they are demanding that these cyclists finally join this multi-use community in anything resembling good faith. They rudely dismiss anybody pointing out the HUGE poorly maintained trail systems that we caretake today if it involves taking away money/grants from their 'buddies' and any talk of finally privitizing work with modern equipment in an environmentally responsible manner. And recently they've even sunk into ignoring demands that even their community sponsored workshops be actually published by the very same government employees that they invite to them.

I'm guessing that Bill Burke penned that letter in the hope that somebody in this community damn well start STANDING for something; rather than cow-towing to the lowest common denominators among us for a number of bad reasons. When one gets rudely ignored/treated and accused of seeking to "disrupt" public workshops because he simply seeks to get that workshop date published (and done correctly0 before the damn deadline blows past....what in the heck do you think our young people seeking to ask similiar questions will be faced with and how many of them will ever be interested in being treated like that again? If I'm exagerrating what has been happening over all these years: What's the average age of these leaders today and who in the heck is out there TRAINING to take their place? Brainwashed kids from AMA parents who could care less what the rest of the community does(hey, we ride 'em all!)...as long as they grab a certain number of trails each year that nobody will ever enjoy?

If our national orv leaders can't seem to strap a set on and be as "no-b.s." as Mr. Burke seems to be about responsible multi-use wheeling and the need to call every single person out here on the carpet that needs it (with the same happy result witnessed here IF they are willing)...what kind of effective 'community' are we aspiring to become....in the first place?

Last edited:
Dear MichiganChapter? (I'd use your name, but you don't seem willing to use it, so I'll just use your login id),

You seem to have some sort of agenda, and I'm not really sure how that agenda with some "national orv organization" ties into TLCA. Why are you unwilling to state who this "national orv organization" is so that we can better understand what YOUR problem is?

You've posted in numerous forums this same generalized complaint. I dont' get it. What do you want from TLCA?

You keep talking about "buddies" and favortism, and back room deals, but besides the tiny voices in your head, no one else knows who or what you are talking about.

If you want us to help, we need specifics. Who and what are you talking about?

Dear MichiganChapter? (I'd use your name, but you don't seem willing to use it... but besides the tiny voices in your head, no one else..."

You know, it's unfortunate that folks have to act in this manner.

I recently approached your former 'fearless leader' on some of these same issues involving very familiar individuals to him at the national level....and frankly received the same insulting response dressed up much more 'p.c.' in its insiulting nature.

I called/wrote the national orv organizations and manufacturer reps about the dates for these meetings not being published where the public recieives its official info regarding same....more insults and even an e-mail copyed to me that was forwarded to others speculating on whether I would "disrupt" the workshop itself for simply attempting to get these dates posted!

I have asked why orv organizations/individuals affiliated with these national leaders and well known to them; should be allowed to operate anonymously at the "22,000 member" representative level here at the largest maintained trail sytem in our nation. (please Google "Michigan Recreational Riders Association" in operation for over two years with no one individual/orv group even named).

I have asked why orv advisory board members continually refuse to display their contact info http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_22654-73974--,00.html while readily accessible snowmobilers ("men-like" representatives) have absolutely no problem being reached anytime and without screening by the state.http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_22910-61116--,00.html
"...Board members may be contacted through the staff assistant..."

I could go on and on for page after page concerning this public's right to be informed/involved....right on up to yesterday; when I was informed that the orv community had made absolutely no effort to contact our Forestry service about publishing these workshop dates when informed of the absence of same...this after insisting to me via e-mail that the community could not "force" them to do so!.(heck, the only communication that these people have gotten with less than 6 days for everybody....has been from only THEIR superiors regarding the same damn outline we've got!).

At the last Michigan orv advisory board meeting (meetings shaved down from 6 times a year to 4 without a word; with our official non-partisan stenographer taken away to boot) there was one cyclist, one atver, a few fullsize guys and 3 members of the general public...one questioning the DNR's ecological caretaking of the system we have presently.
This meeting immediately followed a first-time-ever appearance by this anonymous MMRC arrogantly throwing an edict before 'our' un-elected board that they quickly/unanimously agreed upon sans any kind of published commentary from even one of them.

My point here is that the level of participation at both the local and national level isn't an "accident" or some kind of "sign of the times".
It is a direct refelection of the kind of treatment one receives above for simply questioning this community's willingness to act like men and women should when inquiring as to the public's role in (quote/unquote) "their" arrogantly inspired business.

The average age of these national leaders tells us all we need to know about the individuals young and old who have come before these people in the past... and the scores of outright rude personal experiences I've run into in these short 7 years tell the rest of that sad non-inclusive story without a doubt.

Our young people aren't going to put up with this arrogant kind of crap in the future....and they shouldn't. Unfortunately, by that time....it will be much to late to consider repairing this blatant issue of accessibility and respect.

Last edited:
You know...it's a real shame that a person with such a passion for enviromental well-being has such a difficult time with the politics associated with the cause.

If you didn't come off as such a condescending-PRICK..someone might actually listen to what your saying and take a closer look...why not right? We are all after the same thing here...access and proctecting our offroad playgrounds.

But you sir, hide behind anonimity and chastise others based on words you see on a message board without actually seeing the whole picture...and that makes you as ignorant as the people you obviously have an axe to grind with in Michigan..

There's not chapter in Michigan for the TLCA that I know off...and after personally spearheading the Ohio Chapter Reorganization this year I can say it's cause no one from Michigan with a Toyota has gotten off their ASSES and done it.

I personally, won't give one s*** about what you say, who you are till you put a name in your signature line, start naming names, and pull your head out of your ass.

Until then...:beer: I'm goin wheeling this weekend...and on private property with a beautiful trail system me and some buddies built.. :flipoff2:

i'm glad that a lot of positives came out of this situation. sounds like the guys who did the most "harm" are now actively helping to keep the trails open. i guess that's about the best outcome we could hope for. props to them.

i probably should have worded some of my responses and posts differently since this thread is in the TLCA forum and the discussion topics really should pertain to the TLCA and not personal opinions like mine. either way, CONSTRUCTIVE critizism is always appreciated. be myself anyways.

michiganchapter: either spill the beans or don't post. it's that simple.

i'm glad that a lot of positives came out of this situation. sounds like the guys who did the most "harm" are now actively helping to keep the trails open. i guess that's about the best outcome we could hope for. props to them.

Amen to this...talk about turn lemons to lemonaide. Kudos to all involved for putting such a positive spin on a bad situation.

You know, it's unfortunate that folks have to act in this manner.

I recently approached your former 'fearless leader'
Again -- Failing to name names. Bob Brown? Tony Twiddy? Who?
on some of these same issues involving very familiar individuals to him at the national level....and frankly received the same insulting response dressed up much more 'p.c.' in its insiulting nature.
So it's not just me that thinks you are irritating due to your unwillingness to talk in specifics, rather than generalities?
I called/wrote the national orv organizations
Still afraid to name names?
and manufacturer reps about the dates for these meetings not being published where the public recieives its official info regarding same....more insults and even an e-mail copyed to me that was forwarded to others speculating on whether I would "disrupt" the workshop itself for simply attempting to get these dates posted!
This should be your first hint that YOUR tactics aren't working. You can't keep using the same approach, and hope that you'll get different results. Try a different approach.
I have asked why orv organizations/individuals affiliated with these national leaders
Again, failing to name names.
and well known to them; should be allowed to operate anonymously at the "22,000 member" representative level here at the largest maintained trail sytem in our nation. (please Google "Michigan Recreational Riders Association" in operation for over two years with no one individual/orv group even named).
Why should I go "google it". Why are you making me do your work? Why not just state the name, dates, events, etc?

Just for fun, I tried searching on that. Your group doesn't come up.
I have asked why orv advisory board members continually refuse to display their contact info http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_22654-73974--,00.html while readily accessible snowmobilers ("men-like" representatives) have absolutely no problem being reached anytime and without screening by the state.http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_22910-61116--,00.html
"...Board members may be contacted through the staff assistant..."
Just a guess, but I bet it's because of guys like you. I'm beginning to second guess using my contact info.
I could go on and on for page after page concerning this public's right to be informed/involved....right on up to yesterday; when I was informed that the orv community had made absolutely no effort to contact our Forestry service about publishing these workshop dates when informed of the absence of same...this after insisting to me via e-mail that the community could not "force" them to do so!.(heck, the only communication that these people have gotten with less than 6 days for everybody....has been from only THEIR superiors regarding the same damn outline we've got!).
Again -- How can TLCA help you with this? Are you even a TLCA member? I don't know, because you REFUSE to use your name
At the last Michigan orv advisory board meeting (meetings shaved down from 6 times a year to 4 without a word; with our official non-partisan stenographer taken away to boot) there was one cyclist, one atver, a few fullsize guys and 3 members of the general public...one questioning the DNR's ecological caretaking of the system we have presently.
This meeting immediately followed a first-time-ever appearance by this anonymous MMRC arrogantly throwing an edict before 'our' un-elected board that they quickly/unanimously agreed upon sans any kind of published commentary from even one of them.
This sounds like an issue for your State Elected Representative. Not the TLCA. Senator? Congressman? This is a State of Michigan group, right?
My point here is that the level of participation at both the local and national level isn't an "accident" or some kind of "sign of the times".
It is a direct refelection of the kind of treatment one receives above for simply questioning this community's willingness to act like men and women should when inquiring as to the public's role in (quote/unquote) "their" arrogantly inspired business.
Which community? The DNR? The MMRC? The TLCA? Help me out here.
The average age of these national leaders tells us all we need to know about the individuals young and old who have come before these people in the past... and the scores of outright rude personal experiences I've run into in these short 7 years tell the rest of that sad non-inclusive story without a doubt.
Any rudeness that you receive may be a result of the rudeness that you exhibit.
Our young people aren't going to put up with this arrogant kind of crap in the future....and they shouldn't. Unfortunately, by that time....it will be much to late to consider repairing this blatant issue of accessibility and respect.

Seriously -- IF there is something that TLCA can do, or should do differently, don't beat around the bush, just state it. Do you not agree with our support of the Blue Ribbon Coalation? Do you not agree with our support of the Friends of the Rubicon? Should TLCA sponsor work in a state that is unwilling to even start a chapter? Help me understand what YOU want US to do.

"...If you didn't come off as such a condescending-PRICK..":flipoff2:

Again, I don't have the time at this moment for personal attacks.
I'll repeat... this is exactly what our younger people have been exposed to here in Michigan when seeking to simply get involved and the reason but one cyclist and one atver have bothered to show up at these very important orv advisory board meetings in the middle of the most important juncture in our largest system's history.

I called the DNR today to try and enlist somebody's help in finally getting this meeting posted less than a week before the 4-wheeled "non-cyclist controlled" public would be shut out from attending same.
After quickly discerning that indeed their webmaster had never been contacted by the orv national meeting sponsors or anybody else connected with this critical workshop who had previously insisted that "force" was needed to make this posting happen before the registration deadline...guess what?
The lady made one phone call to her boss...and the workshop will be posted this afternoon!
No LIES from national orv organizations sponsoring this workshop...no un-returned e-mails from those most-likely even attending same or having any kind of 'stand-up-like-a-man' responsibility for getting the word out...but one lady acting like both the Hiawatha and Ottowa National Forest Service employees did yesterday:
WE RESPECT THE PUBLIC'S RIGHT TO KNOW AND DON'T WANT TO SEE A SINGLE TRACK MINORITY REPRESENTING THE MAJORITY OF USERS OUT THERE AT ANY WORKSHOP SUPPOSEDLY DESIGNED TO FOSTER COOPERATION/COMMUNICATION BETWEEN ALL OF THESE GROUPS INCLUDING US.

Kudos to every one of the 3 government employees I contacted both today and yesterday for allowing the 4-wheeled general public to finally be made aware of their right to attend this workshop not 6 days ahead of losing it.

And if any one of you haven't figured out just who beats their chests over sponsoring these workshops right down to and including your former "fearless leader"....then I suggest that you stop drinking the KoolAid when it comes to the very simplest of issues out there dividing us.

Ran out of time...yet are there any more verbal assaults out there to illustrate my fact-based points above more vividly?

"...Just for fun, I tried searching on that. Your group doesn't come up....".

Uhhhhh, they're not "my" anonymous group or anyone else's in this state...THAT WAS THE POINT!

For pete's sake, guys...when you brush this anonymous representation aside with either ignorance or apthy....what in the heck do you think our kids get when they contact national leadership or try to go to the state or even their local leaders with this same problem!

I expect this from those trying to protect others within our (quote/unquote) "leadership"...yet when you guys act like "what's the problem?"...what in the heck 'hope' do these young people have of ever being heard?

Dear MichiganChapter? (I still don't know your name)

Uhhhhh, they're not "my" anonymous group or anyone else's in this state...THAT WAS THE POINT!

For pete's sake, guys...when you brush this anonymous representation aside with either ignorance or apthy....what in the heck do you think our kids get when they contact national leadership or try to go to the state or even their local leaders with this same problem!

I expect this from those trying to protect others within our (quote/unquote) "leadership"...yet when you guys act like "what's the problem?"...what in the heck 'hope' do these young people have of ever being heard?

And yet, I still don't know what YOU want TLCA to do. WHO ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Which LEADER?!?!?!

I did some more research (since you know state that it was Michigan's DNR), and I found this group -- NOHVCC -- And guess what? They have a page of contacts by state! And here's yours:

http://nohvcc.org/contacts/michigan.asp

Have you written/communicated with these guys? Do you need TLCA to help you here?

Did you see this letter?

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/LetterToOff-RoadVehicleUsers_157641_7.pdf

It looks like many ORV'ers are going "Off Trail". Do you need TLCA to help here?

Further digging revealed this:

http://www.cycleconservationclub.org/

Is this the group you have your issues with? They are in no way, shape or form associated with TLCA. Do you need TLCA to attend the workshop for you? What can TLCA do for you here?

And if any one of you haven't figured out just who beats their chests over sponsoring these workshops right down to and including your former "fearless leader"....then I suggest that you stop drinking the KoolAid when it comes to the very simplest of issues out there dividing us.

Ran out of time...yet are there any more verbal assaults out there to illustrate my fact-based points above more vividly?

I looked here:

http://nohvcc.org/aboutus/aboutus.asp

I still don't see who you are referring to as OUR "fearless leader". There is not one person on that page that is a current, or former TLCA member, let alone, "fearless leader"
(Who's doing the verbal assualts again?)

Ross,

Back in the late 90s I used to be the president of the Central Ohio Mountain Bike Organization and we were responsible for maintaining roughly 11 or so trail systems in State Parks for the ODNR.

In that time, I worked (was mentored by should say) the Michigan Mountain Bike Organization's President. In Michigan, the MTB group is paid for the President's yearly salary and Suburu was giving him a car to scoot around in.

Very well funded, very well organized and did it while doing this :flipoff2: to IMBA (International Mountain Bike Association) which at the time was un heard off. A real model of an organization. No joke.

I learned that, unlike Ohio, the Horseman,Hikers and MTBer's HATE each other to the point they spend their own coin lobbying against each other for access instead of working together.

This "Michigan Chapter?" is a zealot. A rogue that probably has been shunned by the the above mentioned in some way or form and has taken his preaching to the net.

If what he says is legit (and I seriously doubt his credibilty or anything he says for that matter) then he would be putting credentials by his name. The players involved in the land battle in Michigan do that...all of them and this guy doesn't.

IMO, this guy is doing more damage than good.

Petescoffee,
Thanks for the update I was woundering what the out come was.
As for MichiganChapter, every board That I have come across He spouts the same B.S. but when called out to name names he turtles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom