Mombasa Rain Fly (project) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I will be upgrading.

OK, I wanted to close out this thread by adding some pictures of the finalized project. Rain Fly is complete and so is the addition of the new laddar. Happy to answer any questions anyone has if the start to tackle this project.

Zane
rrt1.JPG
rrt2.JPG

Thanks Zane for your post up! Looks like you did a great job on both design and fab work! This provides me with an idea and material sources for a quick and easy awning for my Maggiolina.

Dan

zane, really nice work.

would you be willing to loan it out? I have a good upholstery guy who did very good work on my boat. i got him to look at this problem last fall. We looked at the fly just like that used for the technitop which is basically the same as what you made. He is not busy in winter and told me he could crank out a bunch for under $100 each using a good waterproof material if I could make up a prototype, but he wanted me to pay him to measure it all out for a prototype or else a bunch of orders in hand. i never got that far. I have no interest in making dough out of it, but i'd be willing to be responsible for your fly and if people here order them maybe I could get you a royalty that would help cover your costs ;).

zane, really nice work.

would you be willing to loan it out? I have a good upholstery guy who did very good work on my boat. i got him to look at this problem last fall. We looked at the fly just like that used for the technitop which is basically the same as what you made. He is not busy in winter and told me he could crank out a bunch for under $100 each using a good waterproof material if I could make up a prototype, but he wanted me to pay him to measure it all out for a prototype or else a bunch of orders in hand. i never got that far. I have no interest in making dough out of it, but i'd be willing to be responsible for your fly and if people here order them maybe I could get you a royalty that would help cover your costs ;).

Yeah I want one too :cool:

zane, really nice work.

I dig! :bounce:
I would be willing to pay this to anyone making some

very cool and it looks like it will work very well for you

Seriously, when are you going to start selling these?

Zane, I see you are stalking me (guy in the folding chair by the airstream). You might want to start selling these to pay off you run in with the LAW. ha ha

Make for 50 and I would be all over it!

Drew

Well, it takes 6 yards of material to make one and at $9.50 a yard for the Super K-Kote Ripstop 140 Denier w/ 1.5 oz pvc coating fabric, $25 in misc clips, alluminum plate, webbing, thread, etc., and $20 for the Spring poles. If you do the math it would be quite a bit more just in materials than that to pull one together.

yup, my local guy said it would be a little under $100 if he did a few together and he would be using a waterproof fabric I don't know the name of and he had a source for cheap shock cord poles.

Are these going to happen? If so i would be in for sure,

OK,

Due to all of the PM's and Emails I have been recieving about making more of these, I'm starting to "look" into making a batch of these rainflys and then sell them as a complete kit (rainfly, spring poles, alluminum mounting plate for Spring poles, webing, clips/hardware) This may take a few weeks to iron out the details and procure someone to do all the sewing for me as I dont have time to do it myself. After I find out what the total cost is w/ labor + materials I will be able to post a cost for the "kit".

Please stay tune...

is it possible that Mombasa itself could do it cheap somewhere in China?

OK,

Due to all of the PM's and Emails I have been recieving about making more of these, I'm starting to "look" into making a batch of these rainflys and then sell them as a complete kit (rainfly, spring poles, alluminum mounting plate for Spring poles, webing, clips/hardware) This may take a few weeks to iron out the details and procure someone to do all the sewing for me as I dont have time to do it myself. After I find out what the total cost is w/ labor + materials I will be able to post a cost for the "kit".

Please stay tune...

AWESOME!!111!!1

is it possible that Mombasa itself could do it cheap somewhere in China?

Not that they told this to me directly, but I dont think they would have any interest in doing it. I offered to send my rainfly to Mel so he could copy the template but it did not seem as if he was interested in doing this. Why? Could be a lot of things. He more than likely does not want to hassel with it or the most logical reason would be that he would rather have people buy the new RTT he is selling than offer an upgrade solution to there older tent style. If that's the case I dont blame him.

Zane

Zane, since you don't have time to sew yourself, the offer still stands to have my boat top maker guy duplicate what you did. I can ask him to quote on it. Like I said, he is a good guy and does good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom