SOLD Misc parts for 1964 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is the speedometer cable different than the three speed cable up to when they added the in line speed sensor? Believe I seen a few I purchased used and possible a couple NOS in the bags. That was a couple weeks ago at the cabin. Because of current state of the forest and possible fire been hauling parts out of the area. May have grabbed the used ones that were still in mailing envelopes. Box with NOS parts believe is still there.
I think is the same up to the addition of the speed sensor. Although getting concrete info on this has been a bit confusing and sometimes contradictory. I know it needs to have female threads at the t-case end, and male threads at the speedo end (not the clip-on style). I'm not 100% certain on the length, but think it should be 66-72" long? SOR claims they should be the same through '68, but gives no details. I thought I saw somewhere that their aftermarket cable - although affordable at $22 - was 91" long to give options for engine swaps. I could just call and talk to them, I suppose. But I'd probably prefer used original, especially if the price was less. I've got the most expensive parts of the refresh coming up soon, the top and rust/paint work.

A working jack handle should be easy. The late tube style is probably still sold new. The rod changed lengths over the years but the dimension of the sqaure end stayed the same.
I think you are right. Was hoping not to have to buy new, why pay for shiny new for a non-original jack?

What did you end up doing for the rear frame member? Seen it wasn't in the list of parts located or still wanting anymore.
Well, that's a story. I came up with a plan that I thought I'd be happy with, to clean up the back some and then add a proper receiver hitch that bolts to the pintle hitch holes and would reinforce the rear rail. Worked on that a bit the other day, now am no longer as happy with how that looks to be progressing. So I may be back in the market for a frame rail again, especially if I can find an affordable one.

Last edited:
I may be back in the market for a frame rail again, especially if I can find an affordable one.

Getting harder to find cheap parts. Years ago knew where they were a number of FJ40s in a couple of wrecking yards. While a pain used a hacksaw to cut the frame rails in front of the angle braces off a couple FJ40s. Wish now I had grabbed a few more. But there is a ton of parts I wished I has gotten. Did get enough not having to trace down most rare parts now.

Do you have the old Speedo cable to measure the length? I have a few new ones here that may be correct.
I wish I did. Cable was MIA when I bought the truck. I know it needs the male threaded end at the speedo head (not the clip on), but I'm uncertain on the length. Guessing somewhere around 66-72" (165-180 cm).

image.jpg
I’ve got this new aftermarket one that’s about 80”. It’s been out of the package for several years but was never used and is still in good shape. $30 shipped.

I’ve got this new aftermarket one that’s about 80”. It’s been out of the package for several years but was never used and is still in good shape. $30 shipped.
I can't tell for certain in the picture, but it looks like that one doesn't have the odd male threaded end for the early speedo connection. Can you post a close up of the two ends?

I can't tell for certain in the picture, but it looks like that one doesn't have the odd male threaded end for the early speedo connection. Can you post a close up of the two ends?

You’re right! Forgot about that. This one has the two female threaded ends.

Updated list. Will probably end up going new on the speedo cable, perhaps on the rear frame rail as well, as no suitable and correct used ones have turned up yet.

Added spare tire carrier hinges to my want list, early style as pictured in the 3rd post on the first page.

i just saw your post i have several cables hanging on the wall will check to see if they are sellable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom