Michelin LTX AT/2 blowout (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got blown rear passenger tire on freeway - not fun.
Not sure whether had tire leak as tire sensors are not working or manufacturing defect. Tires are less than four years old.
Is this me or do others have similar issues with these tires?
Thank you!

IMG_5995.jpeg

How many miles are on them? Doesn’t look like much tread left.

About 40-50k. Correct about thread Was planning to put new ones on in winter
Curious whether At/2 have an issue blowing up or whether I had a low pressure and tire behaved as expected

You have a huge difference in tread depth between the main tread and the shoulder of the tire. Don't know if it was tire pressure, or another problem, but that tire has been worn out for a while.

About 40-50k. Correct about thread Was planning to put new ones on in winter
Curious whether At/2 have an issue blowing up or whether I had a low pressure and tire behaved as expected
Every tire has an issue blowing up when the tred is worn down, the pressures aren't right, and they heat up at highway speeds with a big heavy truck on top of them. Gotta keep an eye on that stuff.

Looks like that tire was likely under-inflated. Glad you are OK!

User error.

No issues with the tires as they are consistently some of the best performing tires out there. As suggested, the tires were well past their useful safe intended life and when they heated up, didn’t need much to blow out. Always replace tires that are at the wear bar on any part of the tread, or before if you don’t like a chunky ride. If the tread did. Or wear evenly, make sure you get tires changed at the same place you do an alignment so they can see what they are working with, so to speak.

Glad you are ok. How old was the tire?
Curious to know what the event was like….with it being a rear blowout did it pull you out of your lane?

My son’s 00 LC had new Michelin AT/2 (LT285/75R16) tires on it when we purchased it. My only complaint was that the wore like iron, and it took 50k miles before I could justify replacing them with some BFG KO2s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom