Mice chewed ABS harness causing lights on dash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey gents,
First post on here, did a search but couldn’t find anything to help so please excuse me if the helps here and I didn’t find it.

Recently purchased my first LC 100 series (224k miles) and love it so far. Did the timing belt/water pump and now I need to figure out the lights on the dash; ABS, BRAKE, VSC, etc. looked under the hood to discover a few wires connecting to the ABS system have been chewed up. Any help would be appreciated. I’ll post some pictures. Thanks in advanced!

2FE1F512-01C1-4AF7-ACDF-E7EFBDAFAAAC.jpeg

D238E01D-1DD1-4535-9A79-26D2ABFA696E.jpeg

69253778-A4D0-4EA1-B8C7-C86DEADEC059.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey gents,
First post on here, did a search but couldn’t find anything to help so please excuse me if the helps here and I didn’t find it.

Recently purchased my first LC 100 series (224k miles) and love it so far. Did the timing belt/water pump and now I need to figure out the lights on the dash; ABS, BRAKE, VSC, etc. looked under the hood to discover a few wires connecting to the ABS system have been chewed up. Any help would be appreciated. I’ll post some pictures. Thanks in advanced!

View attachment 1776350

View attachment 1776351

View attachment 1776352
Here is the repair guide for connectors. It looks like many are chewed too close to the connector to solder. You could buy new repair wires or just use what you have.
https://www.toyota-tech.eu/wire_harness_rm/RM06H0E.pdf

That's pretty weird. What kind of a mouse chews through stranded copper wire? I fix things like that with butt connectors and heat shrink tubing. NAPA has good seemless butt connectors. You may have to splice on some additional wire and reattach the connectors.

Here is the repair guide for connectors. It looks like many are chewed too close to the connector to solder. You could buy new repair wires or just use what you have.
https://www.toyota-tech.eu/wire_harness_rm/RM06H0E.pdf

Thanks for providing the link to the repair pdf. Just browsed through it. Looks a little complicated since ive never done this before. Will look into more If this ends up being the best way to go.

Do you think it'd be easier if i found a connector from same model LC and cut the connector and spliced into my existing harness wires (because mine are chewed to close to the connector)?

That's pretty weird. What kind of a mouse chews through stranded copper wire? I fix things like that with butt connectors and heat shrink tubing. NAPA has good seemless butt connectors. You may have to splice on some additional wire and reattach the connectors.

I see this all the time. I've seen them chew through high voltage wiring on hybrids and do 10k worth of damage

That should be an easy repair with solder and heat shrink. I just spent the weekend soldering my ford f750 that squirrels got into over the winter. I think I had about three dozen wires chewed through.

I'm parting a 99 model if you need some wires to fix yours.

I see this all the time. I've seen them chew through high voltage wiring on hybrids and do 10k worth of damage

That should be an easy repair with solder and heat shrink. I just spent the weekend soldering my ford f750 that squirrels got into over the winter. I think I had about three dozen wires chewed through.

I'm parting a 99 model if you need some wires to fix yours.

How much would you want for those two pigtails going into the ABS. Im in VA

Thanks for providing the link to the repair pdf. Just browsed through it. Looks a little complicated since ive never done this before. Will look into more If this ends up being the best way to go.

Do you think it'd be easier if i found a connector from same model LC and cut the connector and spliced into my existing harness wires (because mine are chewed to close to the connector)?
A new connector would be great if it had all of the correct wires. I highly recommend the Sopoby solder seal butt connectors. You just strip the wires, insert them into the butt connector and heat. It solders and heat shrinks in one step. I have never used them in an engine compartment so check the rating on the heat shrink.
https://www.amazon.com/Connectors-Sopoby-Waterproof-Automotive-Electrical/dp/B01FI6IKG6

We had a squirrel repeatedly chew through various under-hood wires and a COOLANT HOSE on my wife's old car. He made multiple giant leaf nests under the hood too. I zip tied a couple of those green Tomcat brand poison blocks under the hood and the problem mysteriously went away.

We had a squirrel repeatedly chew through various under-hood wires and a COOLANT HOSE on my wife's old car. He made multiple giant leaf nests under the hood too. I zip tied a couple of those green Tomcat brand poison blocks under the hood and the problem mysteriously went away.

Thats not a bad idea at all. Ill get right on that after the repair!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom