Builds Meet Uma and not the one you are thinking of (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got the transmission hump cover "put back together" and welded the donor section on and cleaned up just about as good as i can get them. I heard a saying one time "bondo and paint make a welder what he ain't"
20210924_093301.jpg

Also got the timing cover on water pump, and alternator bracket.

20210926_174542.jpg
20210926_174531.jpg

The fire wall has a layer of primer. 8 asked my son (who is going to take over ownership when i am gone) what color the fire wall should be he said black. And started to get it masked in preperation to get the white paint laid down this weekend
20210926_180955.jpg

Tomorrow is going to be a big day for her. The cosmetic surgery gets under way. The open heart surgery is just about complete. Tomorrow gets the white paint down.👍🤞

Well i got the white monstaliner on the roof is painted. The body stripe is painted and the fenders and running boards done

20211002_150021.jpg

I have had family obligations and family coming and going and a trip that prevented me from doing any work on Uma. But now that things have calmed down a bit i was able to put in some work last night.
IMG_20211020_195429_492.jpg

I liked this wire loom and thought that it cleaned up the engine compartment a lot better then electrical tape, and it fits the aesthetics of the vision i have.
IMG_20211020_195429_533.jpg

I even had time to paint the radiator support and spray underlining in the rear wheel wells.

I found out that i basically have till veteran's day to get it ready for the car show for my daughter's high school. I am trying my hardest to get it done by that time.

IMG_20211020_195429_517.jpg

The other day my phone wouldn't let me me upload the picture of the fenders. So here is what the fenders look like

20211002_124549.jpg

With the day off and the kids gone i tackled a big one.
IMG_20211111_121535_854.jpg

I have always had a vision of a blue and white 2 toned 40.
20211111_113945.jpg

So it was nice to finally see my vision coming out of my head and to fruition.
20211111_133629.jpg

I got the paint through monstaliner.com. I really like it, one thing that I like about it is that it is a DIY roll on automotive quality paint. It doesn't look like regular roll on paint and it has an orange peal texture. It is an epoxy paint and it has a great warranty. But enough of the free publicity for them. I absolutely love this color and the results are fantastic.

Last edited:
With the day off and the kids gone i tackled a big one.View attachment 2836713
I have always had a vision of a blue and white 2 toned 40.
View attachment 2836714

So it was nice to finally see my vision coming out of my h eww ad and to fruition.
View attachment 2836717
I got the paint through monstaliner.com. I really like it, one thing that I like about it is that it is a DIY roll on automotive quality paint. It doesn't look like regular roll on paint and it has an orange peal texture. It is an epoxy paint and it has a great warranty. But enough of the free publicity for them. I absolutely love this color and the results are fantastic.
I love stripes down the sides. I’m considering doing TRD colors or something one day down the side of mine

Ok so there is no pictures of this because lets face it I am the only to see it. I finally got the motor mounts in. while trying to get the engine and transmission to mate up and get bolted in i broke one of the motor mounts. Of course since it is an early 69 model I found out that my motor mounts in the front were the big round ones oh which by the way are incredibly hard to find. Luckily @Alex Waddell lives close and he had some updated square ones. The rear domed mounts were collapsed and soaked in grease and oil. Again Alex came through. so i cleaned up and painted the front mounts and got them installed. I told my want-to-be mechanic daughter that I got them in and I got the typical teenage daughter response, with lackluster "that nice." It doesn't sound like much but the motor is off of the engine stand, off of the hoist, in the engine bay, bolted to the transmission, and doesn't need a ratchet strap and a screwdriver to hold it in place. Ok so maybe I need to take pictures of it.

This weekend being Thanksgiving weekend I want to say that I am thankful for the opportunity I had to get quite a bit of work done on Uma.
IMG_20211126_181531_760.jpg
The hood got some paint.
IMG_20211128_175500_049.jpg

Under side got 2 coats and the top got the first layer, inside of the tire carrier got one coat the aprons got their first coat. The problem was that the epoxy paint started to cure in the can so i had to thin it out and work as fast possible. I ended up running out of the first gallon of the smurfadelic. Luckily I have an other gallon that i am going to use to paint the inside. The hood, tire carrier, aprons and grill will be done at the same time the inside gets painted.
The header, the intake, alternator, and starter all reinstalled. Unfortunately i damaged a brake fitting when tring to get the header in that i will have to repair.
IMG_20211128_175459_993.jpg

IMG_20211128_175500_057.jpg

20211128_163935.jpg

IMG_20211201_220217_203.jpg

I try to get a little bit done every day in what little time I have. Yesterday I got the radiator and fan shroud in and the hoses tightened and the passenger side fender. I am mostly done with that side, i still have a bit of work o n.v the driver's side to do before the fender goes on. At least now there is one less fender in my way. Once the fenders are on then the interior comes out to get ready for paint. Once it is all painted then all of the big stuff will be done.

I have been trying to make progress a little every day
IMG_20211208_211843_316.jpg

I fixed a hard brake line that go damaged when i was installing the header. The voltage regulator swapped out. The washer bottle installed and the fender put back on.
IMG_20211208_211843_303.jpg

The air cleaner and housing are back in the carburetor is hooked up (pardon the dust it has been sitting 6 months) the turn signals are back on and 97% of the mechanical stuff back together

This weekend was one of those times that when I finished I thought what did I get myself into. It is funny thinking about it those days usually tend to follow getting ready for body work.
IMG_20211218_130557_450.jpg

I was able to get everything out and cleaned up and vacuumed out. I found a couple small areas of cancer and sprayed some anti rust rustoleum gel on.
20211218_120523.jpg

Namely on the passenger side floor board and just in front of the fuel tank. So the foreseeable future it looks like sanding and welding and sanding and priming.

So since i had the transmission and tranfer case out of the truck i decided that now would be the time to replace all of the gaskets.
IMG_20220103_185246_854.jpg

It also gave me a chance to look at the condition of the gears
20220103_184353.jpg

I have been getting the ancillary panels media blasted to get off years of grease and grime and old gear oil and mud.
IMG_20220103_185246_492.jpg

I am going to do the output and input seals too. Although the rear out put seal doesn't look too bad.
20211231_105820.jpg

The inside has been completely gutted scuffed and primed ready for paint. There are a couple of cancer spots that I am going to take care of. Luckily I was able to borrow a welder from a coworker and i still have the donor panel from the hump cover.

I found a couple more pieces of cancer that had to be cut out.
20220108_112228.jpg

20220112_153531.jpg

The metal looked worse then it really was and there was still some good metal under the surface rust. But i don't think that i am going to hire that welder to do any more work for me all he did was leave bubble gum everywhere.
20220115_131809.jpg

I got the inside painted. I still love the monstaliner paint but that painter wasn't very good either.
20220115_131653.jpg

But the whole body panels on the out side are done with 2 coats. All of the inside is done. I have the roll bar back in the jump seats in and the stereo shelf is back in. They aren't bolted down because I don't remember which hardware was for what part. (Squirrel, ohhhg something shiny, oh man look at the moon) sorry i got distracted.

Right now my mantra is get a little bit done every day.
20220118_203141.jpg

Iwas able to get the spare tire carrier on with the spare tire.
20220118_203157.jpg

The roll bar is in, even though it did kinda scuff the paint, it is bolted down and the seats for the most part are attached.
Tree he driver's seat is bolted down and the seat belt hooked up. The other day i also got the stereo shelf installed, i just need to clean it up and get wires put out of the way

Last edited:
I have been looking forward to this moment for quite a while and was finally able to get the hood back on.
IMG_20220120_162018_114.jpg

Now that the hood is on all that remains is to work on the mechanical aspects. Namely getting the transmission and transfer case sealed up and put back in.
20220122_090219.jpg

Looking at the profile i love the paint scheme even more. Although through a couple of social media polls it is pretty much split right down the middle. Half of the people liked the patina half like the new paint. All i can say about that is it is my truck and the only opinion that matters is mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom