Builds Meet Phoenix aka Zombie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Moving to the Fuel System, decided to check the TPS measurements...VTA-E2 Checked fine at 0mm and full throttle. Returned throttle to 0mm Ohms were higher.
Put in .77mm feelers between screw and stop, IDL-E2 no continuity...messed around with different gaps for a while to try to get any continuity...no luck.
Pulled throttle body to get a better look.
Pulled TPS and the spring is done. Won't return the TPS.

Parts list shows TPS part number to be 89452-28030. Has this been superceded? Thanks
@LAMBCRUSHER

IMG_7934.JPG

search for tps calibration video... you should clean the TB. the plate gets dirty and won't close. this keeps the TPS from returning useful bits. IIRC, the TPS relies on the plate to be its spring...don't toss that TPS just yet...

search for tps calibration video... you should clean the TB. the plate gets dirty and won't close. this keeps the TPS from returning useful bits. IIRC, the TPS relies on the plate to be its spring...don't toss that TPS just yet...
The plate is closing sharply with a nice clack onto the stop. If the tabs from the TB plate fit into the slots on the TPS, it would return it to closed. Seems like quite a few have tried to install it that way then seeked help based on my searches. I would have done the same thing if I hadn't searched it first. Seems logical they would fit like that.

Last edited:
I know that a lot of troubles arise from an improperly calibrated tps...did you download the FI section of the fsm? It pretty much lays it all out.

I know that a lot of troubles arise from an improperly calibrated tps...did you download the FI section of the fsm? It pretty much lays it all out.
That's what I've been using to go through the various systems. I'm having trouble finding a 3FE emissions manual though. The 2F emissions manual was how I really learned the workings. I've downloaded a bunch of different overall schematics. Is there even one out there? All my searches just refer me back to the engine repair manual.

I gave saving that TPS a solid mental effort. I could probably clean up the action a little but the spring is sprung for lack of a better term. There's really no way to get the original spring rate back without taking the thing apart...and that's a maybe that probably wouldn't have longevity anyways. Given it's role, and there's a maybe and a probably in the previous sentence, I'm putting it on the order list.

....and this one will have to be dissected. :confused:

Got the valve cover off, seemed like a good amount of work more than the 2F. Granted my 2F is desmogged for now, have a year to resmog, but I don't see ever getting close to my valve cover off times. It's really cool though how the systems are similar. I'm excited to learn how all this works together.

Removed
Air Cleaner Top and all Air Intake Hoses and attached air hoses, left Air Pump hose attached to pump and swung out of the way.
Air Flow Sensor Connector
Air Cleaner Box, figured the three bolts were worth not having to deal with it in the way
Vacuum lines off Charcoal Canister VCV, removed large line Y from the spaghetti too, left S attached to spaghetti
Just swung all small vacuum lines over onto heater control valve
PCV hose completely
Brake booster line from intake
3 coolant hard line bolts
14 mm nuts

Had to lift up to clear studs, go back to clear the spaghetti, get the front up, swing it out toward passenger side, got the rear lip passed the coolant line, and kind of pulled forward and rolled it out.

This isn't my original order I did things, I didn't remove the hoses from the intake or spaghetti or the 3 coolant hardline bolts the first time I tried to lift it off.

I'm hoping if you guys see things that could be done better or more efficiently, or just have suggestions you will chime in. My feelings don't get hurt. The only thing that got my 60 to where it is now, is this forum. I take a huge amount of pride knowing I have owned it for almost 8 years, put over 60,000 miles on it, and never once took it to a shop, basketcase to now. I don't know if I can take this one all the way, it's an unexpected thing. Single dad and I have a Senior this year. But there's just something about these machines. The lines and smart engineering. I couldn't let it rot away in a field. I brought a kitten home that someone had abandoned by our shop, told myself just until it was healthy and my business partner would take it...that F'er is 25 lbs now and taking a bath in my living room.. dammit!

Cheers :beer:

This is better than any novel. I don’t even want to skip to the end. I want to follow this beauty back to life.

This is why I love Toyota...things like this. The 'Dash Pot'...Say you're cruising along at 2,000 RPM and you suddenly let off the throttle, this little guy's only job is to catch the throttle linkage at what would amount to a no load 1,200 rpm and return it to the 650 rpm gap at a slower rate. The reasoning? Don't know yet but it's a good clue (that and you have to disconnect the ICS) and as I've learned, everything serves a defined purpose to enable another function on these machines.

IMG_7958.jpg

IMG_7959.JPG

Last edited:
Can you adjust tps with a voltmeter? Guessing by hand is pretty impossible?
like here: TPS Set-up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom