Meet Peppa Pig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserkreutz

SILVER Star
Threads
Peppa Pig is one of my two year old grandsons favorite cartoons. So, naming our 1974 FJ55 Peppa seems a logical choice. Here is a picture of Peppa Pig the cartoon for the uninitiated;

41m+1U6ks5L.jpg

And here are some pictures of Peppa the FJ55 over three years ago when I first picked her up near Bend OR.

IMAG0291.jpg
IMAG0292.jpg
IMAG0297.jpg
IMAG0293.jpg

As you can see, she needed some work. It ran just enough to load her onto a car hauler for the 185 mile trip home. This was a craigslist sale, so of course it had some drama. When I showed up at the sellers home to pick it up, I was informed his young daughter had lost the keys that morning. Not sure he was telling the truth, but he did knock some money off the purchase price.
It almost didn't make it onto the trailer. I think it was only running on a couple of cylinders. "Only needs a tune up" says the seller. I knew better, and bought it anyway. Yeah, I overpaid for it.

Last edited:
My son and I made the trip without incident. Once home, I called up a local friend of mine that has worked on my Camaro and a couple of other Land Cruiser projects I've dragged home. He said he'd look at it and see if he can get it running. We all know that's a slippery slope... He had it over at his house for a winter. He worked on it a little, pulled and cleaned the gas tank and radiator. Got rid of the Holley carb, put a CityRacer carb in its place and some other miscellaneous stuff I've since forgotten. No pictures of this process as I didn't stop by his place to often. At that point he couldn't get it running much better than when I dropped it off, and I could tell he was no longer interested. No worries, I have lots of mechanic friends thank goodness.
Off to the next guys place Peppa goes. Upon further inspection of the engine, it looked like water had somehow got into the engine, making it inoperable. I decided to have my friend rebuild the motor. While he was at it they pulled and re sealed the transmission and transfer case and rebuilt the parking brake. He installed a new gear reduction starter, rebuilt the alternator and put a new water pump on along with belts, hoses etc. It was at his place for a couple of years during this process (which I was fine with). He fixed much of the dreaded PO wiring rats nest and has started working on the tailgate window mechanism.
While it was down I had the seats recovered locally.
Here is how she sits now;
20200111_193654.jpg
20200111_193643.jpg
20200111_193850.jpg
20200117_090910.jpg

Tires and wheels were up next. Decided on stock steelies and new OEM hub caps. Debated for quite a while over tires. I've been running BFG mud terrains on my other Cruisers, and wanted to change it up. Love the tall skinny look, and was eyeing the Interco tire line up. Read all the reviews (good and bad), ultimately deciding on the Super Swamper SAM-14 Narrow 34X9.50-15. I love them. Here are some pictures without and with hubcaps.

20200420_192756.jpg
20200420_192554.jpg
20200424_070850.jpg
20200424_070838.jpg

Like your wheel & tire selection. Thinking about going tall & skinny myself.

Cleaned up the dash area. Ended up replacing the windshield (painted the defrost area while the windshield was out), put a dash cap on (fits like a glove, didn't even glue it), refurbished and installed a center dash pad (very hard to find) and put a new glove box pad on.
Was planning on replacing the aftermarket cassette player with an OEM am radio unit from my stash. Discovered that a PO had butchered the original mounting tabs to the point an OEM unit would no longer work. I ended up deciding to delete the radio with an awesome plate from @overton.
Thought about refinishing the control knobs, ultimately decided that would make them to nice and stick out too much.
I think I'll add a leather Wheelskins steering wheel cover. Put one on my '74 FJ40 and love it.
Before and after pictures;
20200111_193850.jpg
20200502_093456.jpg
20200502_093417.jpg
20200502_102239.jpg

Retrosound Hermosa

Something to think about...

Thanks for sharing. As I've gotten older, listening to music while driving my Cruiser has become less and less a priority. I love enjoying the experience by listening to the beautiful concerto that is the 6 cylinder motor. If I really feel nostalgic, I'll throw in my bluetooth speaker box and listen to period correct Eagles hits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom