May Long Weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does Jeff ever end up going with us?

Rod: Excuse me? ;) I seem to remember a certain Cruiser getting a tow (from a non-Cruiser) on his first club trip.

For those leaving Friday afternoon: There is a ferry you have to use and it only runs to 7pm. Here's the schedule;

Big Bar Ferry
ROUTE: Across the Fraser River, 72 kilometres west of Clinton. (An aerial tramway for passengers only—operates when water is low or icy).

DAILY SCHEDULE:
On demand 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
(except noon - 1:00 p.m. and
5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.)

CROSSING TIME: 10 minutes

CAPACITY: 2 vehicles – 12 passengers

CONTACT INFORMATION:
General Enquiries: 1 800 842-4122
Fax: 250 395-3092

Walk on water?, nea, we just drive on it

photo by Craig
210581209_d02ba9d1df.jpg

So what are the standard requirements for these trips guys?

My rig is not stock but I don't have great off road tires, PO put Michelin wranglers on but they are RT/S not AT's. They are 265-75-16, I got the OME 2.5 lift done, no lockers and the rest is stock. Am I going to run into trouble, don't want to be a burden.

I could see bringing my 4 year old for the weekend, she's have fun I think.

Last edited:
The only hardcore on this run is of the choosing.It basically is to just get out as a group and shake the salt off the bottoms of our trucks.As a club we do STRONGLY suggest that you have a working C.B. in your truck.

You got it.We have been talking about making it manditory,but it hasn't made it there yet.Nothing suck more then getting into some kind of trouble and not being able to get the word out.

I never got to go to any of the big bar trips? whats up there? I really enjoyed our gang ranch trip last year, is it like that?

Dan

The CB is nice, never mind the fact that everyone can keep in touch and the trips go smoother, it is a safety issue as well, when there are problems or someone gets lost we can keep in touch. Usually there is also someone that has a HAM and it would be nice to have at least 1 rig that has both for the trips. I have been toying with the idea of getting the license. It's on the list:rolleyes:

:grinpimp: Norm F has been working on his Ham prep. Hopefully he will have his licence pretty soon. Now, if we can just get him to come wheeling....;p

Gary T and I are talking about going up the Duffy Lake road Friday afternoon, May 18, and taking the West Fraser road from Lillooet to Big Bar instead of coming in the usual Clinton way and taking the reaction ferry. Could be a lot of logging trucks and/or Crummies high tailing it out for the weekend on that road and the VHF would be a necessity. The other problem with that side is if the high water cancels the ferry, then we are stuck on the west side and can't get easily up to Churn Creek on that side of the river. Or can we?? We would probably have to go back down to Lillooet and come around through Pavillion and Kelly Lake, etc. Or take blacktop from Lillooet to Clinton and on to Churn Creek/Gang Ranch bridge.

Rod True: Pretty much any vehicle will make it to base camp. From there we go out on day trips, 90% being gravel roads (with scenery). On Chinahead we could hit up to 3' of snow. If that happens, only the built trucks go forward and everybody else goes exploring other places.

Dan: It's a lot like Churn Creek. No mine, but a beaver pond to examine. Usually snow and mud. Chinahead can be fun, but it's the views on this trip that can be great.

Child safety tip: We will be camped right on the Fraser River in a canyon. You may have to keep a close watch on them.

That's right Craig; child safety is an issue. Its a great experience to take the kids on, and they should come because they will love it. I'm bringing my 8 year old grandson. However it must be realized that that river is high and trecherous and kids should keep WELL AWAY from the riverbank at all times and be closely supervised. Drivers should also be aware that the clay based switchback roads above Big Bar are slippery when wet and drive accordingly. No problems if these issues are kept in mind. Oh, and one other thing; it can get real windy from the venturi effect coming down the canyon, so weight has to be put in an empty tent to keep it anchored. My tent ended up in Whipsaw creek one year and I learned something that time. ;p
Bring your cameras, lots of spectacular vistas.

(Once a teacher; always a teacher!)

I don't know who this Norm is, but it seems every trip we end up talking about him. :D

Traci: you going on the May trip?

good one.

If there's the usual Friday morning departure from Steve's, I join that.

who is Norm?:lol:

Hmm, ordinarily I'd give some smart-assed retort to this, but judging by how many people in this club I now DON'T know, it's probably a fair question...:eek:

As usual, I'm hoping to make the Big Bar run but I'll have to see how it goes. I'm a definite maybe - I already know I'll be away for every other long weekend this summer :frown:

Ham: I've been studying pretty hard for about a week and a half now. I'm finding it quite challenging, as I don't have any electrical schoolin'. Still, I'm now scoring consistently in the mid-upper 70s (with the occasional lucky-guess assisted break into the low 80s) on the test generator, so I feel fairly good that I should be able to pass the test when I get home in a couple of weeks. I'd really like to score in the 80s so I can get HF privileges, as once I'm licensed I don't ever want to do this again!

I bought the study guide, but I also spent $20 and got a 1 month subscription to www.hamstudy.com
For me it's a better way to learn - you go over one subject, then take a test on it before moving on to the next subject, as opposed to reading the manual and thinking I understand it when I don't. The combo of hamstudy.com and the manual seems to work pretty well.

Looking forward to having good communications in the truck for when I don't go wheeling with you all :grinpimp:

There are a number of new faces in the club now, come to a meeting and meet a few.
Also, if you get a hand held VHF unit, you can take it on your Harley too.

It would be nice to see you out there Norm. But I'll probably be sitting here next year going, "who's Norm?". ;)

Can anybody tell me if you can drive on the west side of the Fraser from Big Bar towards the north, past Black Dome Mtn and end up at Churn Creek? Or do you have to go back down to Lillooet and circle around?
We need to do a head count who's going and when and what route. Come to the meeting next week an we'll work this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom