Fusebox(s) installation - Bluesea (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If someone were to ask what would be the best first modification, I will always say FUSEBOXES!
Create your own stand-alone harness with way more wires than you think you will ever need- because you will fill them up!

I didn't, so i'm going back and trying to clean up all the wiring. It was really pissing me off looking at the explosion of messy wires.
I have also added so many connections, my battery terminals are full!

INTERIOR
12 plug Blue Sea fusebox.
Location: pass. side dash speaker - access, short run of wires. I like how it parallels the fusebox on the driver side.

I moved the tweeter back behind the fusebox- it's blocked, but I can live with it.
The angle makes it easy to see all the fuses- if one is blown or not, without pulling out.
5005090481_f6566a1590.jpg

Cut the speaker cover to fit - all wiring is now hidden.
5005089983_740e757005.jpg

ENGINE BAY
12 plug Blue Sea fusebox w/ neg ground
Location-next to charcoal canister

I wanted it close to the battery - make it easy to reach all my mess of wires
POS+ has a in-line high amp fuse (80amp) for protection)
I think this will be almost full when done!
5005701536_809c7532e8.jpg

Finally wrapped this up
fuseblock wired up. I also added a engine bay light (switch on the charcoal canister)
80A fuse @ the battery
5097767938_67282f6442.jpg

Engine bay light -
5098168335_a9e184689a.jpg

5098768822_da848fb367.jpg

relays @ the battery box
5097768366_d9edf5163a.jpg

switches from OTRATTW they were great to deal with.
5097767452_e0fe6cbe4d.jpg

Rear access port (used to be CD Changer)
-inverter (hidden in photo)
-three switched 12v plugs,
-one constant 12v,
-2M radio plug (recessed so the plugs don't get knocked around)
-Hidden behind the trim is a switched fuseblock for the 12v plugs and three of the switches
5097169285_435eccdfac.jpg

I also added night ambient led's. They aren't this bright, just the camera's exposure.
Red prevents night blindness, you can drive w/ these on and no problems
I stole the idea from Audi
5097168925_2b45297735.jpg

helpful tips
Gents,

Just some helpful hints for the aux fuse blocks...

-Label your wires and/or fuse locations. In about a year when all the slots are full, it'll suck mega trying to figure out what goes where!

-Pick different color wires for your gadgets and select the fuses based on your wire size, NOT on your gadget amp draw! Your wire size needs to be appropriate for the gadget amp draw and may have its own fuse. Remember, the purpose of a fuse is to protect the wire insulation from melting and causing a (carpet) fire. If you oversize a fuse for a given wire, it'll smoke the wire insulation long before the fuse blows.

-For adding a "switched" aux fuse block, I recommend using a relay. This relay will turn on when the IGN is on and in turn it'll route major power straight from the battery to the aux fuse block. Size this wire appropriately. Label this relay too. For Ex: IGN SW.

-For labeling, don't use thermal printers as the heat will turn them black!

Most of you know this already but doesn't hurt to reiterate it once in a while. I'd hate to see a car fire!

Cheers and safe wiring. Let me know if you have any questions.

also a chart I grabbed from here
Wire Gauge Amps Ratings for 12 volt Automotive Systems
Picture 4.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting interior solution. Kind of cool and straight to the point. I like it.

We put ours under the hood on a custom mount near the brake booster.

Relays are behind the front grill area and along the inner fender.

We have a ton of electronics and still haven't filled our 12 slot Blue Seas box.... good luck filling 24!

Nice work there James - easy to see and get to. I like that spot, warm & dry.

I ran the blue sea in the back panel shown here. In 5 years I have only had to go in there once for a compressor fuse.

My relays are also behind the grill/headlight in front of the DS battery. I had no issues even through the waters of Alaska.

That just might me the location I go with for mine. I already disconnected that speaker and have the DS one hooked up to the CB so it's a plank spot for my purposes.

Thanks, and can't imagine filling up 24 slots. I was thinking of buying the 6 slot blue seas but was talked into the 12 slot.

I'm working ( but also have tons of house labor to do ahead ) in a ford fuse box .. fuse and relays in the same place . .

Under the passenger seat is a good spot. I removed my rear heater and the empty space makes a nice storage area so I didn't want to loose that. Also, I just felt it was easier all around to have it on the dash.

Dude, it's been a few years delay but I finally got around to this. I picked the Bluesea, remembering that you use it. The dude abides...

Rookies! 18 slots are already spoken for! :)

Great idea Pasquale!
Since the wiring plug and switch are already there, you could probably just use that to turn on the pump on.

Talk about good timing. I have a Blue Sea sitting on my work bench along with my new CB radio. I was trying to figure out where to mount it. This thread provides me with several good options. Much appreciated!!!!:p

Glad it's helpful

I've been messing with installation of all the wiring and accessories - can't believe it's been almost a month!
Wiring... I can only take a couple hrs a day but almost done!

Well it took me roughly 40 hours or so JUST to do all the wiring I had in there. That doesn't include all the metal work I had to run around and get done. for the relays, you could remove the DS battery and mount them along that side of the fender. The battery doesn't go far enough into the fender. I have LANDTANK's charcoal canister relocator so that opened up a lot of space behind the batter. That could be an option.

Thanks Joey,

I haven't kept track of the hours but 40 does not sound out of line.
Currently the relays are next the the battery and are fine there. I'm happy w/ the location of all the fuseboxes.
I have to say, I'm loving the LX center console. Nice metal frame to mount stuff to and plenty of room once you remove the bass and CD changer.

Something about electrical stuff, I could modify and alter this stuff forever.

At this point, it's all about stripping, crimping, zipties, pulling wires.... where do the hours go! ha!
I'll get some pics up tomorrow

FirstToy, can you elaborate on your ambient lighting setup. I've been trying to think of a way to do this as well ever since I saw my friend's Passat a while ago.

one in each footwell, one under each seat so the floor is all lit.
there is one in the center console so you can see the inverter, 12v plugs at night
and I have 4 behind the rr view mirror to get a nice spread across the dash
(these are all represented in the photos post #1)

because the LED's are so low power draw, you can tie all the wires up to one + wire.
Connect to the fusebox, connect ground wire and you are done.

I have them on a switch but you could just wire it to turn on with headlights if you want them auto
The red is great, you can leave it on all the time.
Just remember, you want to hide the bulb from view.

oznium.com
flat, square LED for floor
4chip LED behind mirror (I will take some pics later)

LED's were a lot of fun. Easy. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom