Maintenance work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Figuring this fix it project may take a bit, I fixed both of the front seats so they will move front/rear again. Because the factory head unit wouldn't play CDs clearly, I figured I swap it out as well. Funny fact. The 80 series head units will hold no less than .72 cents.

IMG_20161021_185105059_HDR.jpg

To back up the head unit swap I picked up some new door speakers. 6.5" for the doors with a mount depth of 2 13/16" should work. The smaller speakers are 4". I'm considering a powered enclosed compact sub for under the driver's seat. Has anyone done this? Figured a powered sub would be easier that stuffing a 6.75" sub and amp in the original location.

IMG_20161102_183223494.jpg

Back to the window issue. Has anyone replace one? I know a few have taken them out. How do you get them back in?

So, what is the story about the broken window???

So, what is the story about the broken window???
Wife had a shock go bad in her car. While I was fixing it when was driving the 80. After work one day she jumped in, closed the drivers door and the second passenger door window popped.
While assessing the situation in our driveway, "It scared the s*** out of me." Wife.
"Funny. I don't see or smell any s***." Me.
"What? You don't smell the roses?" Wife.
"You better s*** and sell them roses of yours to fix this." Me.
(Mostly true)

6.5" Speaker magnets are to large for factory hole. I have tools that can make the hole bigger but they are not ideal. Saws all, jig saw, 4.25" cutoff wheel. Thought about buying a die grinder. Will my DeWalt 18v drill spin it fast enough?

I'm going to try different things. I used snips first. Found it hard to turn the snips while cutting. Metal wanted to roll up so I made a series of cuts and bent the metal back, flat, into the door.

Still having issues putting the window into the door.

IMG_20161109_163135801.jpg

IMG_20161109_163142730.jpg

@Stylo07 who wrote that thread is a local member. He may be able to give you some advice.

@ASI H8 reached out to me. Unfortunately, I have no experience removing/installing the window... I do think it's worth trying removing the seals/runs to allow more room.

Yep. Removing the seals/runs worked like a charm. While they are out double check to make sure all of the old broken glass is removed, clean the area of the seal/runner/gasket that contact the door and the track the seal fits into. You will have to slightly bend the horizontal track, bottom of the window bracket in order to get the wheel/bearing on the end of the arm to fit into the track. I found if you have the arm as horizontal as you can get it works best to get the bracket lined up.
Now to lube everything before I button stuff back up.[/USER]

Any suggestions how to degrease an engine in an 80 series?
I was thinking of some sort of automotive degreaser first. Then hooking the power washer to the hot water heater to blast the rest of the gunk off. I wish I had a two post lift but jack stands will have to do for now.

Get the engine warm first, then shoot with the foaming degreaser. Everything else the same you mentioned.

Don't expect it to start. Use compressed air to blow out all the spark plug tubes afterward, and let it sit overnight.

I would avoid hooking up a regular power washer to hot water as the pump is cooled by the water and you could damage the pump, same reason you should not let it idle for over 5 min.

Yeah, I read too fast.. Use a hotsy.

Yeah, got one from me.

Before

IMG_20180114_080234734.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom