LX570 AHC “Basics” - Added as sticky thread for AHC Issues (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

my harbor freight in line bulb pump did fine.. but with the filter in the way it was backing up and spilling.. now that I know that thing comes out.. i will dig it out of there and be fine.. with backlighting the ahc tank...
thanks guys for all your help.. I'll let you know how it goes

So it went very well. The backlight worked great. Removed the filter with something pokey. I was able to get the rear bleeders with an open end 10 at an angle, and it wasn’t hard to do. Thanks guys. Then I washed it

0A1DFEEB-E8C4-4F69-9DF4-352177CAB641.jpeg

Thanks for the posted bleed/flush procedures. I just did this on my '08 LX with nearly 180k miles. The old fluid was very dark/opaque, and had lots of tiny air bubbles/foam. The new fluid didn't have hardly any bubbles when it began to come out. I did improvise with a funnel, 3' of clear tubing, and masking tape to fill the reservoir. And I did go thru all 5 quarts of AHC fluid without spilling any. I would say 5 qts. is a minimum; I would have pushed a 6th one thru if I had bought 6 and not just 5.

The hardest part was reaching the rear actuator bleeders, as there is no room to turn a wrench. I just barely cracked them open with a long/thin 10mm socket (without letting any fluid out), then put the bleed tube tube on the nipple and turned it with an open wrench at an angle - definitely not ideal. The wrenches that pivot at the closed end should be a much better tool for this job. The truck seems to ride a little smoother now. I agree this should be regular maintenance every 60k-100k miles.

IMG_6948.jpeg
IMG_6947.jpeg

I'm more of a visual person...just wondering if there were any youtube videos covering AHC flush instructions?

Thanks!

I'm more of a visual person...just wondering if there were any youtube videos covering AHC flush instructions?

Thanks!
Yes there is. Australia based lx

1) park in Lo mode
2) extract old fluid. I use siphon method with 1/4" aquarium air tubing. Then shopvac the end of the tube to make sure I got it all out.
3) Fill res with entire 2.5L can of fluid, then raise to Normal
4) it's not in the FSM, but I bleed the 5th accumulator first.
5) start rig and let ahc pump fill missing fluid.
6) turn off and bleed driver front accumulator Until suspension stops (I use 12oz topo chico bottles and stop around 10oz)
7) start rig and let ahc pump fill missing fluid. You'll see suspension raise and level out.
8) repeat 5-6 with driver rear, then passenger front, and pass rear last.

I went around and repeated all 5 bleeders since I had a lot of extra fluid.

Keep in mind, ahc pump will automatically replace fluid you bleed at each globe, but won't replace the 5th accumulator until you try to raise to Hi.

Got the chance to bleed the ACH in my truck. Here's a pic of the set up I used to pull and contain.
Is there a write up on replacing the fluid in the 5th accumulator ? I seemed to not see this post before doing the work. I'm sure I can just drain the 5th and add fluid to the rear container.
When I went to drain out the old fluid I only found about 1 cup of old fluid in the container. I never checked it and I've owned this truck from Jan 2020. I took the spare tire out, and took the time to sand down any rust spots under the truck with a grinding wheel and drill, then primed and painted them black. Then cleaned and greased the drive shafts. Don't think they have been done in a while.
Also cleaned and painted where the bleeders are. Is there a part number for the rubber bleeder covers? I want to replace all four.
I dropped to low, bled out the rear pass. lifted, dropped, and bled the other three. The last one, driver side front, got my garage floor a bit wet blowing off the drain hose with some increased pressure. Kind of a surprise, but clean up was quick.
Also I was hoping to be able to get under the truck in H with a creeper. The front end does not lift as high as the rear. Common?

lxtransfer.jpg

Got the chance to bleed the ACH in my truck. Here's a pic of the set up I used to pull and contain.
Is there a write up on replacing the fluid in the 5th accumulator ? I seemed to not see this post before doing the work. I'm sure I can just drain the 5th and add fluid to the rear container.
When I went to drain out the old fluid I only found about 1 cup of old fluid in the container. I never checked it and I've owned this truck from Jan 2020. I took the spare tire out, and took the time to sand down any rust spots under the truck with a grinding wheel and drill, then primed and painted them black. Then cleaned and greased the drive shafts. Don't think they have been done in a while.
Also cleaned and painted where the bleeders are. Is there a part number for the rubber bleeder covers? I want to replace all four.
I dropped to low, bled out the rear pass. lifted, dropped, and bled the other three. The last one, driver side front, got my garage floor a bit wet blowing off the drain hose with some increased pressure. Kind of a surprise, but clean up was quick.
Also I was hoping to be able to get under the truck in H with a creeper. The front end does not lift as high as the rear. Common?

5th accumulator is on the driver side, center of the rig, behind a piece of metal/heat shield. I think there's 3 10mm bolts, then you bleed just like the others.
Drop to low to empty the reservoir, then raise back up to normal.
You should be bleeding from normal, not lo.
The corner you're bleeding will drop as you bleed. Only take out 6-10 oz at a time, or until it stops dropping. Then start the rig, let the pump replace the fluid (and raise the corner), then repeat.

Thanks. Should I attempt to drain the 5th one or just let it go?
Is there a part number for the rubber bleeder covers?

Yes, drain the 5th one.

Any standard brake bleeder cap will work.

Ok. Great to know, thanks.

49177-60010​
Cap Bleeder Plug Su​
$1.09​

Take care to not slice a thumb on the sharp edge of the nearby stainless heat shield when loosening bolts to access that fifth accumulator.

The last one, driver side front, got my garage floor a bit wet blowing off the drain hose with some increased pressure. Kind of a surprise, but clean up was

Also, do the 5th accumulator first. Then, driver front --> driver rear --> passenger front --> passenger rear

Argh, I need to redo all 5?

Argh, I need to redo all 5?
Similar to bleeding brakes, you start with the ones farthest away from the res/pump. The 5th accumulator feeds the fronts, that's why it's first.
Not sure why it really matters, but you may be fine.
You mentioned the front not lifting correctly.
Is it less than before you bled?

I'm not sure. I never measured. I knew I needed to drain/flush and refill anyway.
I'm guessing the fluid from the 5th acumulator would stay in the line. I might get away with just draining that one.
I would need to put the suspension in low and raise the front of the truck so I can crawl under. I'm sure that one is under pressure too.
Wish I had a lift. :inpain:

No lift needed for flushing.
Suspension won't drop for the 5th accumulator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom