LX470 Head Unit in place of tape deck? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2005 LX470. I have been reading all of the stereo posts but am unclear on one item and do not see mention of it. I was thinking why can I not remove the tape deck and fabricate a plate and mount a new head unit there running new wires amps etc? Realizing that the factory amp wiring provides power to the head unit, am I going to run into a lot of issues with the tape deck unplugged like loosing the entire touch screen ac controls etc? I have already removed the cd changer and don't have any issues.

You don’t have the cd changer so clearly you’re not using factory Nav anymore so you’re all good. Read this link. You grab a 68 ohm resistor and youre all good. Also, space you have to work with is shallow so you’ll need to go shallow din mechless Receiver (no cd) or modular with the back brains that can be relocated. I made a little cover around the din slot out of black plastic.

I liked the simplicity of a single din that doesn’t scream steal me and for me signal strength, active network capability and tuning/eq capability were king

this receiver Is tough to beat for the cost to capability and quality elements

Amazon product ASIN B07YJ6XH9H

I always say someone should 3d print a single DIN cover with a buit in .25 inch riser. PEople would buy it.

I always say someone should 3d print a single DIN cover with a buit in .25 inch riser. PEople would buy it.
I thought of you when OP posted- figured you had probably already done this at some point.

Sounds like an opportunity for @BenCC to create a new product.

This great. So I need the 68 ohm resistor. Do I really need any of the Metra stuff other than that black fill plate? Don't care about the steering wheel controls much but do want my power antenna to work if possible.

Do the resistors need to be metal or carbon film or does it matter? Also my nav works without the changer.

This great. So I need the 68 ohm resistor. Do I really need any of the Metra stuff other than that black fill plate? Don't care about the steering wheel controls much but do want my power antenna to work if possible.
No you don’t need the metra stuff. Hook the radio to antenna wire...isn’t near the ignition isn’t it. I cant remember

10-4. Am pumped gave my son my V8 4runner I had dumped the nav in and bypassed all the JBL was bummed about the touch screen in the 100 until today. Have 2 old school punch 150s ready to drop in. Was considering giving the wife this 100 and buying another pre nav 100 but already did away with the AHC with a dobinsons kit, TJM from bumper and winch, slee sliders, and built a rear cargo system so it is a good day.

10-4. Am pumped gave my son my V8 4runner I had dumped the nav in and bypassed all the JBL was bummed about the touch screen in the 100 until today. Have 2 old school punch 150s ready to drop in. Was considering giving the wife this 100 and buying another pre nav 100 but already did away with the AHC with a dobinsons kit, TJM from bumper and winch, slee sliders, and built a rear cargo system so it is a good day.
Pics

@jerryb started that thread in 2016 and it evolved into

1586740710723.png

1586740625522.png

I like the TJM. I put the ARB on a 2000 LX470 I did about a year ago. My brother talked me out of it and wanted to do something different. It is actually a lot easier to access the winch on the TJM.

An update for anyone that cares. LOL. 68 ohm works like a champ. Pulled the NAV computer and ML amp from under the passenger seat (if anyone wants them let me know). Left the "parking" computer so backup cam still works. Both amps in. Head unit in but still have to work on fabricating a surround for it. The 2005 cassette deck seems to be a little different because the metra number mentioned will not cover the knob holes. I may have misunderstood. Either way I am going ing to make one from kydex. All said it is working like a champ and blows the factory away. Nothing like 500 watts of pure old school Rockford Fosgate!

An update for anyone that cares. LOL. 68 ohm works like a champ. Pulled the NAV computer and ML amp from under the passenger seat (if anyone wants them let me know). Left the "parking" computer so backup cam still works. Both amps in. Head unit in but still have to work on fabricating a surround for it. The 2005 cassette deck seems to be a little different because the metra number mentioned will not cover the knob holes. I may have misunderstood. Either way I am going ing to make one from kydex. All said it is working like a champ and blows the factory away. Nothing like 500 watts of pure old school Rockford Fosgate!
So are you going to be putting the single din HU in the tape deck spot? I was thinking of doing this a while back but took some measurements and thought ti wouldn't fit. Would love to see the finished product!

Yes sir. Went with a Kenwood shallow mount (kmm-x704 from crutchfield) so I wouldn't have to worry about rca cables etc. Cutting the hole in the factory tape deck face was tricky and have to make a cover plate due to original knob holes. Figured I would use kydex since the original face has a bow to it so I can heat the kydex with my heat gun a little to bend it. Kydex should be here Friday and will post pictures after I get it done. Old school punch 150HD fit right in the bracket where the navigation computer was right on top of the parking computer. Ran all the door speakers on it and put another in the back mounted to my storage system to run my sub.

Yes sir. Went with a Kenwood shallow mount (kmm-x704 from crutchfield) so I wouldn't have to worry about rca cables etc. Cutting the hole in the factory tape deck face was tricky and have to make a cover plate due to original knob holes. Figured I would use kydex since the original face has a bow to it so I can heat the kydex with my heat gun a little to bend it. Kydex should be here Friday and will post pictures after I get it done. Old school punch 150HD fit right in the bracket where the navigation computer was right on top of the parking computer. Ran all the door speakers on it and put another in the back mounted to my storage system to run my sub.
Do you think one of the flip up pioneer single find would fit in the same spot you mounted the Kenwood in? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom