LX470 2004 | Need help with Android Screen (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Congrats on the successful install? Not sure about the failure message. Have you connected the unit itself to the Internet via WiFi, tethering, or a SIM card? Maybe connected to your Google account?

What year is your LX? Any unused harness connectors? Did everything work the first time, or did you have to update canbus, reboot, etc? You've confirmed volume knob and tuning knob, steering controls, AC controls, and antenna all work?

Also curious, what did the back of your MFD and radio look like? This one or the other?
View attachment 3057920
I have connected to Wi-Fi, signed into play store, and used hotspot from my phone. It seems to turn Wi-Fi off every boot so it must be switched back on.

Mine is an 03 and I had a couple unused connectors. I had to reset and reboot several times for the touch assistant button to turn into the climate button.

Radio works well through the unit, volume knob works but tuning knob and antenna up/down only work if in the car function radio app (of course radio is static unless I switch antenna plugs).

It seems it’s trying to activate the sim or something.

My old screen.
D5A00CC7-9AA4-4A5F-99E9-784D82F9587C.jpeg

I have connected to Wi-Fi, signed into play store, and used hotspot from my phone. It seems to turn Wi-Fi off every boot so it must be switched back on.
There's a setting, I think under `Factory` that can set wifi on at start.

Mine is an 03 and I had a couple unused connectors. I had to reset and reboot several times for the touch assistant button to turn into the climate button.

Radio works well through the unit, volume knob works but tuning knob and antenna up/down only work if in the car function radio app (of course radio is static unless I switch antenna plugs).

It seems it’s trying to activate the sim or something.

My old screen.
View attachment 3058385

Looks like you have a different option than the one I posted. Was there no back on your display?

Dies anyone get this AC screen at the bottom periodically? It pops up at the bottom of my screen every now and then, then goes away

PXL_20220714_163200028.jpg

Dies anyone get this AC screen at the bottom periodically? It pops up at the bottom of my screen every now and then, then goes away

View attachment 3059026
Anytime the AC auto adjusts fan it seems to pop up to let you know something has changed.

Would actually be nice if the snowflake shortcut just popped up that mini HVAC control and it was something I could use. Or alternatively if I swiped up from the bottom it would pop up.

Would actually be nice if the snowflake shortcut just popped up that mini HVAC control and it was something I could use. Or alternatively if I swiped up from the bottom it would pop up.

Just need someone to write the software for it. The Chinese implementation is well, very Chinese lol. Does it work? Ok good enough send it out the door.

Swiping up from the bottom is a great idea. Much easier than hitting that snowflake

Okay so i pulled the trigger on an android 10.1" display. It seems to be working fine and has a decently pretty UI. All the functions seem to be working including the AC controls, power antenna, disc changer, steering wheel buttons, speakers, etc.. If anyone would like to know more, i can make a quick walkthrough video and post some pictures and details. Feeling really happy about the system, feels like the best suv just got better. Fingers crossed for upcoming days !
How did it turn out? Any issues? Pics?

Installed one of these today in my 2004 HDJ100 to replace a GROM V-Line. The HVAC sort of works - pressing buttons changes air flow and air temperature, cycles AC etc, but the TEYES display never changes from e.g. 17.5c and the buttons don't give any visual indication of being selected. Is that what everyone else is seeing? I've done multiple factory resets, reboots, set CAN to null cycles etc. I've tried installing the can updates, but the first one always fails to install.

Steering wheel controls also don't work, and of course the reversing camera.

It's a really nice interface, and sound quality seems good, but the lack of feedback in the HVAC UI is a pita.

My issues turned out to be one of the connector pins to the CAN box not being seated in the connector so it was backing out. Fixed that and I seem to have all the HVAC and steering wheel controls I should now.

Have been really liking the functionality of this unit much better than the GROM VLine 2 I was using before so I'm really happy the HVAC is working now and it can stay.

Now to get the reversing camera working ... I already patched a Pioneer reversing camera into the OEM system, to mount it on my swing out wheel carrier, so I'm good to go with a 12v camera, I just need to figure out if the unit is already getting a reverse signal from the OEM wiring harness, or I have to give it one? The instructions seem ambiguous about if they are showing how to give the TEYES unit a reverse signal, or how to get one from the TEYES unit wiring ...

My issues turned out to be one of the connector pins to the CAN box not being seated in the connector so it was backing out. Fixed that and I seem to have all the HVAC and steering wheel controls I should now.

Have been really liking the functionality of this unit much better than the GROM VLine 2 I was using before so I'm really happy the HVAC is working now and it can stay.

Good catch. I may have to check that on mine. Are your radio volume and tuning knobs working?

The OEM physical volume knob to the side of the cassette slot works. The steering wheel volume controls adjust the output level of the TEYES, which makes sense I guess, so there are two slightly different volume controls.

I haven't got my radio antenna connected yet so I haven't tried any radio functionality.

Now to get the reversing camera working ... I already patched a Pioneer reversing camera into the OEM system, to mount it on my swing out wheel carrier, so I'm good to go with a 12v camera, I just need to figure out if the unit is already getting a reverse signal from the OEM wiring harness, or I have to give it one? The instructions seem ambiguous about if they are showing how to give the TEYES unit a reverse signal, or how to get one from the TEYES unit wiring ...

See LX470 2004 | Need help with Android Screen - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx470-2004-need-help-with-android-screen.1277592/page-14#post-14515482. Basically you must provide a reverse signal to the Teyes unit before it'll auto switch to reverse view when you shift.

Here's something I learned about the Teyes that I didn't see posted here yet. A few days ago, I had the Teyes wifi and gps stop working. Turning the car off and back on doesn't reboot the Teyes as it just goes into and out of standby. You can swipe down twice from the top to bring up a different menu that has a reboot option. I also learned that there were themes available from this menu! If the screen isn't working, you can still reboot it by sticking a pin into the hole marked RST on the upper left of the device. RST will reboot (not reset) your device. This fixed my wifi and gps problem (for now).

Curious thing has happened to me lately hopefully its unrelated to the screen but my ABS light stayed on on start up. I turned off and back on and it goes away. Its happened probably 3 times now. It wont stay on so i cant run tech stream.

Edit: ABS light unrelated to screen install. ABS motor is getting weak I need to let the abs motor run for a few seconds before start up.

Last edited:
Curious thing has happened to me lately hopefully its unrelated to the screen but my ABS light stayed on on start up. I turned off and back on and it goes away. Its happened probably 3 times now. It wont stay on so i cant run tech stream.
The light doesn't have to be on for you to read the code with Techstream.

The light doesn't have to be on for you to read the code with Techstream.
Ill run techstream tomorrow and see if there are any codes. I have 247k miles up until now everything has been like brand new with no problems.

I'm not normally an Android user so this was a surprise to me today. Was messing with the UI while waiting for my turn in a drive through. I decided to touch the 3 dots on the top and apparently it allows you to split the screen between two apps. This makes it much more useful as now I can have Waze and my music app side-by-side rather than switching between the two. The screen is so big that when I do have Waze up it shows the route on the right side of the screen and the left side is wasted so now it's making better use of the space.

split_screen.jpg

One thing I haven't figured out is how to put different apps in the home screen. If you go into the apps menu, you can long press an app and it switches showing the home screen, but anything I try to drag says there's no room on the home screen. But I can't figure out a way to remove what is already there. For example, I want to replace the default music app on the home screen with something else.

I'm not normally an Android user so this was a surprise to me today. Was messing with the UI while waiting for my turn in a drive through. I decided to touch the 3 dots on the top and apparently it allows you to split the screen between two apps. This makes it much more useful as now I can have Waze and my music app side-by-side rather than switching between the two. The screen is so big that when I do have Waze up it shows the route on the right side of the screen and the left side is wasted so now it's making better use of the space.

View attachment 3066380

One thing I haven't figured out is how to put different apps in the home screen. If you go into the apps menu, you can long press an app and it switches showing the home screen, but anything I try to drag says there's no room on the home screen. But I can't figure out a way to remove what is already there. For example, I want to replace the default music app on the home screen with something else.

Just long press the apps you want to delete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom