LS2/LQ9 Swap - Video and Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice Job. So how's the "seat of pants" effect with that motor in there?

The seat of the pants feel is the best part. If you really step on it, I THINK it downshits two gears and almost feels "violent." I now intentially find myself in the right lane at stop lights where I know my lane shortly end after the intersection...nothing like drag racing a truck on 35"s and smoking a lot of the 'Fast and the Currious' cars. :flipoff2:

I like the V-8, the updated grill, lights, and the sick wheels. Now all you need is a Metal Tech or Bump It Offroad front tube bumper and 4x4 labs rear. :cheers: to a nice job!

After talking to Matt and Tony at Landcuriser Northwest (www.landcruisernw.com), they had some really cool ideas based on some current designs for other trucks. I have seen some cool bumpers out there (e.g., Slee, Metal Tech, etc.), but haven't seen anything 'mean' enough for the look I want. I want the front bumper to say "get the F out of the way," and that's what we are hoping to base the design on.

I have seen some cool bumpers out there (e.g., Slee, Metal Tech, etc.), but haven't seen anything 'mean' enough for the look I want. I want the front bumper to say "get the F out of the way," and that's what we are hoping to base the design on.

Suggestion? Great job on the conversion!!!
deathrace2k1.jpg

Has that truck seen the dirt? I would have like to see a video related to V8 on the trail performance. If I want to drag race I will go back to building Mustangs

what intake are you running? Did you hook up the cruise control?

Running the stock truck intake. I think it is identical between the 5.3 and the 6.0L. I was told the LS2 and the truck intake are mostly interchangable, but the truck intake yeilds higher torque figures. Whether or not that is true, I have no idea.

The thing about the truck and car intake is true. you lose HP but gain Torque. The real advantage to the ls block over the Vortec is the weight. The Ls being Aluminium and the Vortec being Iron.

Great job, Looks sweet in there! Those are the best looking wheels I have ever seen on an 80, by far. Are they FJ Cruiser, What size??? TIA

Are you running the remote oil filter due to interference/fit in the stock location or because you're running an aftermarket pan?

Great job, Looks sweet in there! Those are the best looking wheels I have ever seen on an 80, by far. Are they FJ Cruiser, What size??? TIA

The wheels are an FJ Cruiser TRD (Toyota p/n PT904-35070). When I ordered it from a dealership, I thought I was getting a steal for $130 PER wheel (16" x 7.5" with a 15mm offset). However, it turned out that Toyota doesn't like selling TRD parts for non-TRD vehicles. So when the inital order was place, Toyota corporate would not release the wheels. So at that point, I had the local dealer order one at a time, and four months later...viola. In hindsight, I should have just bought them on ebay, there are good sets.

I had them painted black with an eggshell clear. I really should have had them powdercoated, as the paint, even though baked, still came off by the lug nuts.

Are you running the remote oil filter due to interference/fit in the stock location or because you're running an aftermarket pan?

Running a Kevco race pan with off-road bafles. Running a stock oil pan comes too close for comfort with the front pumkin. With the Kevco pan, I had to run the remote filter.

I also figure it should be easier to change the oil.

Running a Kevco race pan with off-road bafles. Running a stock oil pan comes too close for comfort with the front pumkin. With the Kevco pan, I had to run the remote filter.

I also figure it should be easier to change the oil.

Dimka, do you have a part number for the oil pan? I'm in the middle of the same swap. Picked up engine/drivetrain from an 06 SS Silverado for cheap...Any help is greatly appreciated!:cheers:

Looks good except for that Fram oil filter.

Very cool!!

So the engine came out of a truck?
Can you please post up some pics on how you routed the exhaust?
What did you do for a tranny crossmember?
Did you use center dump manifolds?
Where did you get the pillar gauge pod?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Very cool!!

So the engine came out of a truck?
Can you please post up some pics on how you routed the exhaust?
What did you do for a tranny crossmember?
Did you use center dump manifolds?
Where did you get the pillar gauge pod?

Thank you.

The engine is out of an '04 Silverado SS...bought through LKQ for $1,200 w/42K on the odometer. Came with all accessories, with the exception of an A/C compressor.

I'll try to get some pics of the exhaust, but it isn't perfect right now. The reason is that under very heavy spring compression, the crossover pipe hits the front pumkin.

The tranny crossmember is a stocker, just relocated...I think. The PO did the work on this portion.

I couldn't run the factory manifolds because they hit the frame. I am running Hooker headers. They are a tight fit, but with a small starter, they fit fine.

The A-pillar gauge pod is an autometer part. It is meant for an Acura Integra...and I found the part number on Mud. I want to say it is mean for a 94 Integra, but do a search for 'Pillar' and there are a couple of really good write-ups.

Hope this helps...let me know if you have any other questions.

The A-pillar gauge pod is an autometer part. It is meant for an Acura Integra...and I found the part number on Mud. I want to say it is mean for a 94 Integra, but do a search for 'Pillar' and there are a couple of really good write-ups.

Here's one link that you might be looking for... I think I might get one as well to add a pyrometer and boost gauge to my Cruiser for my TRD super charger...

Acura double gauge pod

Could you please let us know how you tied in the engine harness into the vehicle harness? Did you have the harness made?

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom