Looking for Buying Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All:

I've been leaning on the advice of people in the forums lately as I continue my search. Everyone's been a big help and I thank you all.

I've got two ways I could go. Keep the daily driver I have and find a cheap 80 series to use for the adventure/camping rig. Or, private sale the DD and get into a 100 series as my DD & adventure rig. I don't want to "trade in" the DD because that would cause me to lose a good amount of money...similar to just buying an inexpensive 80 series that isn't falling apart.

So this find is a 1997 LX450 with 145,000 miles, owner asking $3,200. The Lexus service history is pretty good overall. Seems to have had some air conditioning issues in the past but the owner claims the compressor was replaced and it works now. The owner also claims no fluid leaks or oil consumption. He will get back to me today on whether it has lockers--but he thinks "no". I think he just might not know what they are.

Undercarriage looks pretty darn good. But can't quite tell if that's no rust, or if rust was painted over.

If no lockers, that might mean I need to budget in a rear ARB setup, but $3,200 still seems really nice. I just want a capable camping/offroad rig, but I can see where open diffs and no ATRAC like on a 100 could be lacking in mud/ruts/etc. Wouldn't ever plan to rock crawl. If it does have lockers, seems like a stupidly good deal.

What do ya'll think?
Thanks!

It is about 2 hours away from me, but so far it sounds worth seeing. Photos attached.
20170306_122406.jpg
lx450.jpg
lx4502.jpg

Last edited:
Buy it.

Buy it !

Ya'll should tell me how you really feel ;)

I'll ask him when he's free for me to head out there. Will probably have to rely on me looking it over myself...hard to coordinate a mechanic's visit so far away. I'm pretty familiar with the Slee 80 series guide, at least.

If you don't want to buy it, let me know and I will!

I'm in the KC area and I'll go pick it up!

If you are on THIS side of the state, someone can help you look at it.

I can't say for sure until I see it, but the info he's given me so far makes it seem worth the drive for sure.

Bilt--appreciate it. I'm not in that area but I'll let you know how it goes either way. I think we should all help each other out so these vehicles don't go into hands of folks that don't appreciate them!

Buy it. or $100 cash for you to walk away and forward info.

I'd be chasing and waving cash at this one.

Buy it! Owner might using KBB or something like that to research car values.

Did you notice the bidding war for you to pass along the info? Now, you must decide to do nothing and make some easy cash, or jump in and get your feet wet.

Just remember, I offered first............... ;)

solid deal!

Holy crap did you buy it yet???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom