Looking at a new winch! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know nothing about that winch. Get what you can afford.
You can't go wrong with a Warn. My 12,000lbs has been in 2 trucks in 15 years and has 0 issues.
So far.

Dam I may have just jinxed myself.

I know nothing about that winch. Get what you can afford.
You can't go wrong with a Warn. My 12,000lbs has been in 2 trucks in 15 years and has 0 issues.
So far.

Dam I may have just jinxed myself.

I was looking at the Warn and willing to pay extra for the name and that they where made in America, but it seems at least 3/4 of them are made in China. So I started to look at others.

You are definitely paying for a name with warn, but with that said you also get what you pay for. I bought mine used, and it's somewhere around 10 years old. A quick clean/regrease, and replaced a couple random crusty bits from the previous owners poor maintenance and it was as good as new. Has worked flawlessly for me the few times I've needed it and had no issues getting parts.

Like Andy said, they will always be worth rebuilding and I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that would talk you out of a warn. Just my .02

The "waterproof" thing really gets my neck hairs rising. That is nothing more than a marketing ploy. What exactly do they mean by "waterproof"? Usually it means a couple of dabs of silicone caulking to seal up a cheap electrical box or solenoid. That said, you cannot go wrong with a warn. I myself, after years of wanting a winch and years of research ended up getting a Superwinch, 9500 lb "Tigershark", The one with synthetic line. In fact we just used it the other day to pull my son in law off of a huge rock that he high centered on.. I had one of the first generation Smitty's that I picked up on CL for $100, it lasted for 3 years, noisy as all get out, but slow and strong. In spite of regular grease changes, it still bit the dust after maybe the 50th pull..

The "waterproof" thing really gets my neck hairs rising. That is nothing more than a marketing ploy. What exactly do they mean by "waterproof"? Usually it means a couple of dabs of silicone caulking to seal up a cheap electrical box or solenoid. That said, you cannot go wrong with a warn. I myself, after years of wanting a winch and years of research ended up getting a Superwinch, 9500 lb "Tigershark", The one with synthetic line. In fact we just used it the other day to pull my son in law off of a huge rock that he high centered on.. I had one of the first generation Smitty's that I picked up on CL for $100, it lasted for 3 years, noisy as all get out, but slow and strong. In spite of regular grease changes, it still bit the dust after maybe the 50th pull..

The Smittybilt is IP68 rated. This is an international rating for consumer's to know dust and water resistance. NOTHING is "waterproof", I collect vintage high end watches and am involved in the marine industry. I learned that one! Lol.

IP Rating Chart | DSMT.com

Only the Zeon Warn winchs are rated at that and almost double the price.

Thanks @stock, will do. Now I just have to get all of this crap bolted on before the next run!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom