locking differentials on J70 models (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello to everybody. New here. I just bought a 2005 J70 in Saudi. I thought all J70 Land Cruisers had locking differentials but it seems I was wrong. Mine J70 does not have manual lever or electric switches on the dashboard to lock the differentials. As it is ... it is great on the sand dunes.... but it does get stuck if the dunes are steep. My question is : is it possible to add the locking diff function ? what do I need to add or change ? are the differentials the same and it is just a matter to add the locking mechanisms as add-on ? Are the rear differential open or limited slip ? Thanks in advance for any tips

You can add an automatic locker (e.g. Detroit) to the rear or you can add air lockers (ARB) or electric lockers (Eaton) to the front, rear, or both. Most 70 series that I saw in Saudi (I lived there for 4 years) did not have lockers and my FZJ75 pickup (or Chass) doesn't have them. I'm assuming you have an FZJ71 with a 5 speed transmission? Would help if you posted the VIN data plate. It's on the firewall behind the engine.

And welcome. I wanted to go to the Neom area when we were there but never made it.

Hello,

x2.

Check your axle code in your vehicle VIN. If it ends with a 5, then the axle has a limited slip differential. If it ends with a 2, it is an open differential.

If you opt for an aftermarket locker such as ARB or Eaton, you can install it in your existing differential.

OEM lockers usually require a different axle and differential.

Juan

You can add an automatic locker (e.g. Detroit) to the rear or you can add air lockers (ARB) or electric lockers (Eaton) to the front, rear, or both. Most 70 series that I saw in Saudi (I lived there for 4 years) did not have lockers and my FZJ75 pickup (or Chass) doesn't have them. I'm assuming you have an FZJ71 with a 5 speed transmission? Would help if you posted the VIN data plate. It's on the firewall behind the engine.

And welcome. I wanted to go to the Neom area when we were there but never made it.
Thanks very much : yes it's a 5 speed manual transmission. And yes... it is a FZJ71
The model number says FZJ71L-RJMRKV
THe frame number (I suppose that is the VIN) says :JTFFJ71J457001228.
Will investigate in Tabuk on how to get the electric lockers (Eaton).
Thanks again

Hello,

x2.

Check your axle code in your vehicle VIN. If it ends with a 5, then the axle has a limited slip differential. If it ends with a 2, it is an open differential.

If you opt for an aftermarket locker such as ARB or Eaton, you can install it in your existing differential.

OEM lockers usually require a different axle and differential.

Juan
Thanks Juan : actually I do not see neither a 5 or a 2 as final digits in the various numbers I see on the plate in the engine compartment :
Frame No : JTFFJ71J457001228
Trans/Axle : H151F A01A

Running the vin, your truck should have 4.10 gears and a LSD looks to be optional. There will be a caution label on the rear differential if it has a LSD.

Last edited:
Thanks Juan : actually I do not see neither a 5 or a 2 as final digits in the various numbers I see on the plate in the engine compartment :
The axle codes format changed with the update of 1999.
The documentation to decode axle code pre-1999 is very complete and easily findable online. But for the post-1999 seems no-one was able to clearly and fully decode them and even less post them online :(

Frame No : JTFFJ71J457001228

Hello,

It is possible that you have an open differential.

An aftermarket locker such as ARB or Eaton is a good choice.

Juan

You can get the Harrop 9.5 for the rear! Make sure to check the proper tapering bearing because the come in different size for the pinion depending on what you have same with the flange if your not reusing the existing one

Running the vin, your truck should have 4.10 gears and a LSD looks to be optional. There will be a caution label on the rear differential if it has a LSD.
That is cool information!

What are you accessing to run an international Toyota VIN?

81C164C4-2A24-478B-98EA-8137A3DDC273.jpeg

Thank you! Found mine, huge help!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom