Local For Sale/Wanted Section! (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd like to know the details of the "output shaft being out of tolerance". Gears loose on the output shaft? Too much difference between the gear(bushing) ID and shaft OD? To me more likely too much end play on the gears and could very well indeed lend itself to a popping out of gear problem. The side to side clearances on the output shaft gears need to be checked and adjusted properly to keep everything kosher.
No matter what, Rob's problems with AA are troublesome. Personally I believe the Orion setup is a great way to go provided that the parts kit contents supplied by AA is accurately machined and complete with everything you need.

Yeah I'm just parroting back information at this point, but I suspect it's clearance between bushing and shaft, based on what I'd read. Either way, one thing I absolutely will say is that nobody has been complaining about AA's customer service - seems like they're at least trying to resolve these issues.

For those who have built them - is there substantially more "setup" in these cases? when I rebuilt my 4-speed case I literally slapped it together with new bearings, checked a couple of preloads, confirmed it shifted, and tossed it back in. So far, no issues.

Yeah I'm just parroting back information at this point, but I suspect it's clearance between bushing and shaft, based on what I'd read. Either way, one thing I absolutely will say is that nobody has been complaining about AA's customer service - seems like they're at least trying to resolve these issues.

For those who have built them - is there substantially more "setup" in these cases? when I rebuilt my 4-speed case I literally slapped it together with new bearings, checked a couple of preloads, confirmed it shifted, and tossed it back in. So far, no issues.
No, iirc, I paid particular attention to the thrust clearances. I also got mine with the new , stepped thrust washer that is mentioned by Mark Whatley in one of the threads I posted.
I would still check all the things I mentioned before hanging the blame around AA's neck...

Yeah, I'm not really passing judgement on AA at this point but it's certainly timed right since this is something I'm thinking about spending money on. I'll focus on rebuilding the H41 in the short term (which was supposed to be done 6 months ago) and give Rob and Archie and some of the other guys running into issues to run them to ground. I've heard literally nothing bad about these cases aside from the very early ones popping out of gear. Seems like unless they've made a change in production, the kinks should be worked out by now.

Yeah, I'm not really passing judgement on AA at this point but it's certainly timed right since this is something I'm thinking about spending money on. I'll focus on rebuilding the H41 in the short term (which was supposed to be done 6 months ago) and give Rob and Archie and some of the other guys running into issues to run them to ground. I've heard literally nothing bad about these cases aside from the very early ones popping out of gear. Seems like unless they've made a change in production, the kinks should be worked out by now.
It COULD be that there is a bad batch of output shafts... I hope they can run the to ground sooner rather than later.

Guys, I have been back and forth with Georg on the AA issue... mainly the missing or incorrect parts... AA was absolutely made aware of the issues and could have cared less... they didn’t even acknowledge the issue. I ordered my kit on 1/14 and still was missing the twin stick kit a month later. On 3/5, I was still missing the below parts, that should have been sent with the original kit... all the while my fj40 taking up one of four bays in my buddy’s shop. I compensated my buddy for the time on his lift, etc... so the Orion cost me BIG TIME. At this point, there aren’t many other options out there... but had I known, I never would have walked down this road. The guy who does all my 40 work has been setting up gears, cases, etc. for 40 years and is a meticulous pro. Now the case popping out of gear... just icing on the cake. I haven’t had the time to dig in yet, but preliminarily, it’s looking like there is something more serious going on. Anyway, my story seems like a one off, so hopefully not a typical AA thing... but buyer be warned, no matter how you slice it, the Orion is an expensive mistress...

missing parts....

twin stick kit

Transfer hi/lo shift fork
Part number s4

Shift fork shaft
S1

Shift fork lock plate and bolt
S2

Shift fork lock ball

Compression spring

New brass set screw
S5, s6, s7

S3 prong
S8 cotter pin
S9 high low shifter lever
S10 drove shift shaft boot

Oring

It COULD be that there is a bad batch of output shafts... I hope they can run the to ground sooner rather than later.

Guys, I have been back and forth with Georg on the AA issue... mainly the missing or incorrect parts... AA was absolutely made aware of the issues and could have cared less... they didn’t even acknowledge the issue. I ordered my kit on 1/14 and still was missing the twin stick kit a month later. On 3/5, I was still missing the below parts, that should have been sent with the original kit... all the while my fj40 taking up one of four bays in my buddy’s shop. I compensated my buddy for the time on his lift, etc... so the Orion cost me BIG TIME. At this point, there aren’t many other options out there... but had I known, I never would have walked down this road. The guy who does all my 40 work has been setting up gears, cases, etc. for 40 years and is a meticulous pro. Now the case popping out of gear... just icing on the cake. I haven’t had the time to dig in yet, but preliminarily, it’s looking like there is something more serious going on. Anyway, my story seems like a one off, so hopefully not a typical AA thing... but buyer be warned, no matter how you slice it, the Orion is an expensive mistress...

missing parts....

twin stick kit

Part number s4

Shift fork shaft
S1

S2

Shift fork lock ball

Compression spring

New brass set screw
S5, s6, s7

S3 prong
S8 cotter pin

Oring

So what parts DID they send??

Yeah... good call! Anyway, Rick, before you order, I’d have a heart to heart with Georg to see if I was an outlier or if other customers are having issues

Yeah, I’ve got time - I’ve got the H41 on the bench and the rebuild kit ready to go. I’m not shelling out for the Orion until I’m sure I’ll be employed in a couple months. I’ve got enough to keep me busy in the short term!

missing parts....

twin stick kit

Part number s4

Shift fork shaft
S1

S2

Shift fork lock ball

Compression spring

New brass set screw
S5, s6, s7

S3 prong
S8 cotter pin

Oring

So, some of the stuff you list is not included in the kit and is not used with the Orion... I'm confused now.
S3, S8 & S9 are not used in the Orion, they are replaced by the new ball spring and brass retaining screw...
Are you saying the shift fork, bal, spring, retaining screw, and shift fork shaft were all missing?

My intent wasn't to slag on your mechanic, but it sounds like something wasn't/ isn't set up correctly. I would still double check the bearing preload (easiest check to make, just pull the driveshafts, put the tcase in neutral and check with a fish scale), and check the throw of the shifter linkage and the actuator on the top of the t-case. I've heard they can be loose as well, and not fully rotate, thus not locking in the shift fork into hi, low or neutral.
When I built mine, I tested it on the floor when it was all bolted together and adjusted it. making sure everything functioned correctly before installing it in the truck.
Again, not impugning your mech, but did he install the shift fork shaft correctly so the detent holes lined up with the retaining ball and spring?
I feel like there is something critical but simple that is not assembled/installed correctly.

Last edited:
Great info and advice as always... thanks, Mike! I probably won’t have much time to dig into this until my work slows down in the coming weeks... but I’ll keep everyone updated!

So, some of the stuff you list is not included in the kit and is not used with the Orion... I'm confused now.
S3, S8 & S9 are not used in the Orion, they are replaced by the new ball spring and brass retaining screw...
Are you saying the shift fork, bal, spring, retaining screw, and shift fork shaft were all missing?

My intent wasn't to slag on your mechanic, but it sounds like something wasn't/ isn't set up correctly. I would still double check the bearing preload (easiest check to make, just pull the driveshafts, put the tcase in neutral and check with a fish scale), and check the throw of the shifter linkage and the actuator on the top of the t-case. I've heard they can be loose as well, and not fully rotate, thus not locking in the shift fork into hi, low or neutral.
When AI built mine, I tested it on the floor when it was all bolted together and adjusted it. making sure everything functioned correctly before installing it in the truck.
Again, not impugning your mech, but did he install the shift fork shaft correctly so the detent holes lined up with the retaining ball and spring?
I feel like there is something critical but simple that is not assembled/installed correctly.

On a similar note, since this is the buy/sell thread - still trying to find a 4-speed case someone doesn’t want as a donor if I decide to go this route. Condition of gears/shafts/bearings irrelevant.
I have several cases, and the later ones with the heavy ribbed nose cone. Not trying to get rich off them, make me a fair offer for one.

Local buddy of mine is selling this for $50. He’s in west Chester, but would gladly store and/or aid in delivery within reasonable distance.

5C7EAE8B-9E9F-4EE6-A8A1-3E43CABAA434.jpeg

F2F57BC8-053B-4FE4-B854-493005A85872.jpeg

****SOLD***** I have a 1978 Apache Yuma Pop up Camper for trade for a utility trailer. The camper does need work, frame looks excellent. I don't want to scrap it as it's in good enough condition to trade. I need a comparable sized utility trailer with good tires and working lights, ramp etc. It's located in Mount Laurel NJ 08054. I would use a utility trailer more than this pop up otherwise I'd keep it and fix it. Any questions just ask. Registered at 2,000 lbs. PM's for interested persons.

IMG_4724.png
IMG_4726.png
IMG_4727.png
IMG_4728.png
IMG_4729.png

Last edited:
Got a set of tires for sale in CT
33/10.5r15 bfg mt km2
$250 obo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom