Lighting Security (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
Searched and could not find a specific thread on this or much info at all.

So, here is a place to post your solutions for making sure your expensive off-road and driving lights don't get swiped while your vehicle sits unattended.

On my previous vehicle, I had some PIAA drivers and my solution was to drill holes through the exposed part of the mounting bolts and run small stainless cables through the holes, securing with crimps to the bumper itself. Not perfect, but definitely a deterrent.

Now I am mounting multiple LED's and this won't work, since the light housing is removable from the mounting base as well.

I know there are some security bolts and hardware offered by Lightforce and such, but these simply won't work with the myriad of lighting options out there.

Any and all ideas are appreciated...

I used a c-channel with square nuts on my Rigid as seen in my picture below. For the mount to the truck itself, I used a stainless allen head screw and drilled the center out. With a lock washer, it tightened up nicely from the backside where no one can get to it easily.

RIGID3.jpg

Any and all ideas are appreciated...

I'm sure we could explore the limits of that statement.

Tough problem. I always think of a guy with one of these when I want to protect anything, bikes, etc.

post-makitaag.jpg

If you protect the bolts that attach to the mounts, someone could just cut the mounts off. It's the lights that are expensive. The alu mounts will cut like butter with an angle grinder.

If I've got a bike on a rack, I don't let it out of my sight, even if it's locked with a cable. It limits where I can eat, for sure.

What kind of lights are you planning to run? Any way to french them into the bumper and weld a plate over the back?

My Cibies are rare and you could get them off with a wrench. Hopefully the cranksters will just think they're old and worthless.

I always use mixed hardware (american/metric...hex head/ phillips heads), and silicone it all together.

You may get it apart, but not with the same tool..

I'm watching this thread closely as I just installed 11 light bars and pods around the truck. Allen bolts are about all I have now but finding some torx head bolts might be at least a bit of a step up.

There is also some pretty good "stainless steel
security hardware" available from companies that sell bathroom privacy partition hardware.

The Allen screws have a small stud protruding from the center that acts as deterrent. The are available from Grainger, McMaster Carr, Sentry Hardware, etc.

Hey, Martini...we're talking deterrent here. If the folks from the Italian Job want the lights, they're gonna get them.

Yea, I know. The tri-groove nut is the best deterrent in this thread.

If some little prick from your neighborhood is deterred by your tricky nuts, it may piss him off enough to take it to the next level though.

I've had LED's on mine for years. Park it on the street in downtown Atlanta. I torque the living hell out of them. I've never had a issue. It would be nice to have security hardware, but if somebody really wants it, a quick dremel or chain cutter would chop those mounts quickly. Most people don't even know what they are, they think I am a undercover cop :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom