Builds LHD HZJ73 Refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_9648.jpeg
IMG_9656.jpeg
IMG_9657.jpeg
IMG_9666.jpeg

The 73 is back in Knoxville after a week long journey through Colorado and Utah covering over 1600 KM’ s!

She averaged a bit over 16 Miles per gallon corrected for tire size etc., I got excited for a moment and then I remembered Diesel is about 25% more expensive than gas and I am probably back to my customary 13 MPG gas Land Cruiser range from a cost comparison perspective!

I drive my 40 most days so the speed (or lack of) didn’t require much adjustment for my style, yeah going up each pass I rode the slow lane, but had power remaining to pull into the center lane and pass the really slow big trucks.

When folks pass they just give you thumbs up and wish they didn’t have to drive such a boring car and weren’t in such a hurry!

I am pretty pleased with the truck, it is very Land Cruiser! View attachment 3437012View attachment 3437013View attachment 3437014View attachment 3437015
That’s my hometown! Walden colorado.
the stockman bar :) what an establishment

I used Aaron and Summit Transportation @Riverrunner to get it back home (probably the 6th or 7th time), not much to see in Kansas and Missouri, plus my road trip pass was about to expire and there is a cool 70 Series event in East Tennessee this weekend!

That’s my hometown! Walden colorado.
the stockman bar :) what an establishment
How can you go wrong when this is what you advertise!.,..
IMG_9577.jpeg

Sounds about perfect.

Be glad this was as late in the year you were there. Bout to be straight up winter for the next 8 months lol.

Not much left in the old town sadly, still very beautiful up there.
Next time, need to meet a for beer snd burger there!!!

Impressive and fun truck on the trail! The Dobinson suspension is the real deal on and off road and rear ARB locker came in handy and worked flawlessly!

Truck is amazingly well sorted in almost every mechanical aspect and is a great recipe for a HZJ73 build!

After a a couple of weeks, covering ~2000 kms including 2 trail days, the only change I can find is to add a bit more spacer in the rear or change wheels to a touch more offset, there is still a little rub on the inside rear tires against the inner fender well, don’t want to go too far and catch the outer fender, just need find the balance to take advantage of all the articulation the Dobinson offers!
IMG_9113.jpeg

IMG_9765.jpeg

IMG_9767.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking great. Especially with the locker engaged, this truck feels like cheating off-road.
You are exactly right!

Even with stock transfer case gearing and taller tires in low range with the H55 in first, locker engaged the HZ just billy goats up ledges with little throttle!

Awesome man!

So great seeing it being driven and out on the trails.

All the cruisers I sell have more fun after leaving me 🤣

I’m a terrible owner!

Awesome man!

So great seeing it being driven and out on the trails.

All the cruisers I sell have more fun after leaving me 🤣

I’m a terrible owner!
Thanks!

Not at all!

The truck just had an action packed first few weeks, but is already cleaned up and will be back to boring errands and kid duty for the next while!

IMG_9797.jpeg

The FJCruiser wheels are a great OEM look and the 285/75-17 tire is a fantastic size so it’s worth dealing with the spacers. You could swap the 1” rear spacers for 1.5” and that might do in.

The FJCruiser wheels are a great OEM look and the 285/75-17 tire is a fantastic size so it’s worth dealing with the spacers. You could swap the 1” rear spacers for 1.5” and that might do in.
I agree, changing to 1.5” spacers on the back is the best plan. Other than accomplishing the goal of eliminating or minimizing the inner rub, it will change very little to an already perfectly set up truck.

Thanks for the efforts on this rig, it’s a good one!!’

I agree, changing to 1.5” spacers on the back is the best plan. Other than accomplishing the goal of eliminating or minimizing the inner rub, it will change very little to an already perfectly set up truck.

Thanks for the efforts on this rig, it’s a good one!!’

I have some 70s coming in from Saudi soon and I just don’t know a more perfect tire size so I am likely going to deal with the spacers too. Let me know how it works out.

I have some 70s coming in from Saudi soon and I just don’t know a more perfect tire size so I am likely going to deal with the spacers too. Let me know how it works out.
Agreed, the tire size with this set up is spot on!

Will keep you posted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom