LHD BJ60 Married a RHD HJ61 (High Roof) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This project was something I only dreamed of doing in a far distant future, but a minor fender bender exposed how far gone the original BJ60 body was.

Unable to afford the cost of purchasing and shipping a "new" body from anybody anywhere, John @ RADD Cruisers (Duncan, BC, Canada), donated an HJ61 RHD High Roof to the cause (shameless plug because generosity should always be celebrated).

The task ahead of me was, in my naivity, just a few short weeks of grinding out evenings and weekends to do a simple body and firewall swap. Well, 6 months and 1000hrs later, it's "completed."

So, here is a teaser of the process. If you want to read up on the entire project you can go here:

BJ60 to HJ61 Body swap...the five year plan turned right now plan!

Things that were done throughout the process include:
- RHD to LHD firewall swap.
- Frame repairs and upgrades, including 6 body mount brackets, reinforcing weak spots, and drilling drain "mouse holes" for washing out dirt.
- Body repairs included rear fenderwells, window rails, interior rear fenderwell areas.
- Rebuilt both upper and lower hatch/gate.
- Dynomat the floor after removing OEM brittle material.
- Remove every body bolt, re-tap where necessary, and reinstall with anti-seize.
- Repaint many interior parts, engine bay parts, brackets, just about everything really.
- Chop rear quarter lowers

Things that were not touched:
- Engine: 3B with 437,000kms
- Tranny: H55F 5spd manual
- Axles: 456 geared.
- Tires/wheels: 315/75/16 General Grabber AT2's
- Suspension: SOA.
- Steering: Highsteer

So, without further ado, a few before and after pics and then some shots of the process. I think I have around 900 pics of the entire job...

This was right around when I bought the truck just over a year ago.
DSCN0647.jpg

Some of the rust and patches on the old Camo body.
IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

IMG_3362.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_3373.jpg

Rippin it apart...
IMG_3381.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

Frame rot, inner rear.
IMG_3433.jpg

IMG_3461.jpg

Frame repairs completed. Primed, 2 coats of gloss black, then asphalt coated.
IMG_3480%201.jpg

IMG_3488%201.jpg

Frame "Mouse Holes" for better drainage.
IMG_3670.jpg

Body mounts: Old and new
IMG_3924.jpg

Firewall work
IMG_3221_3.jpg

IMG_3682.jpg

Stuff repainted:
IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3188.jpg

Last edited:
Damn man... That's really nice! It's amazing what we 'Mericans will do for an HJ61 look

I can only imagine the labor of love that it has become. Great turn out! Really great work.

Really, really cool. Making me want a Hi-roof more and more.... Love the color ! :)

Oh man that's a pretty truck. Moonshine's next body will be a high roof for sure.

I love those frame drain holes - those are inspired! Nice work across the board on this.

Now all you need is the 12H-T...

Nice work

Thanks for the encouragement folks. It was a grind but it turned out decent in the end.

As for the 12H-T, I'm planning on waking up the 3B with a turbo first. If the starts align then one day I may try and find an 80 series frame and then marry a 12H-T onto that...but just going to keep it simple for now.

Wish list for the future:
- Turbo
- Lockers
- Sliders
- Cargo Rack
- Snorkel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom