Let’s see those 200s camping….. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1702849831380.png

We closed out and opened up the year camping which has been our tradition since having kids. Since getting home I’ve tallied up my spreadsheets that I use to keep track of mileage and what not… my wife says I obsess but that maintenance won’t do itself and since I like things done on time I keep detailed files.

Anyway, here’s our stats on our 2023 camping year:

Total nights camping: 38
Total annual miles towing camper: 7420
Total annual miles on Cruiser: 10,169
Percentage of driving miles towing: 72.96%. I don’t track off road towing miles but there was about 1000 miles of 4lo towing off road.
Annual MPG average: 9.211
Annual gallons of gas: 1104.5
Total spent on gas: $4406.76

Mechanical issues: 1. Battery failure on ARB lynx that was resolved in route to Wyoming. Shoutout to ARB customer service, they shipped a replacement to a UPS store that was on our way all for free, fixed issue in parking lot.
2. Patched one tire on Cruiser while at home.
3. Cruiser was reluctant to shift out of 4Lo on last trip of the year… dreaded blinking 4Lo light. Backing up and trying again a couple times finally solved the problem. Hopefully, this was a fluke as our Cruiser only has 20K on the clock and has the 4Lo used monthly at least.
4. Camper propane regulator started acting up on last trip. Replacement is going in this week.

We had one big trip through 11 states that lasted 3 weeks, the rest of the camping would be considered local.

We had plans for a trip to Big Bend over Christmas but had to postpone it due to a funeral, it’s on our schedule for 2024.

We aim for 30 nights out each year and have hit that for 3 years in a row. It’s easier now that our kids are 6 and 7 but we’ve had some rough nights early on. Thankfully, my wife likes to get away and unplug as much as I do so getting remote AF is always our goal and our kids have known nothing else so it’s now an expectation of theirs as well. We’ll go out for only 1 night without hesitation, sometimes you just need that escape.

Anyway, here’s wishing everyone happy camping in 2024 and lots of trouble free miles.

IMG_1799.jpeg

Nice! Looks like we both like this spot along Fish Creek Wash?

View attachment 3527766
Haha yes it sure was! I saw a little Subaru hatchback with some fog lights go down it and was like well I guess I HAVE to try it now! About a mile into Sandstone Cyn I had to turn around, it just got too tight. I don’t mind some pinstripes from little branches but not from rocks!

Haha yes it sure was! I saw a little Subaru hatchback with some fog lights go down it and was like well I guess I HAVE to try it now! About a mile into Sandstone Cyn I had to turn around, it just got too tight. I don’t mind some pinstripes from little branches but not from rocks!

This spot? You'll just fit with mirrors in.

1704683357381.png

This spot? You'll just fit with mirrors in.

View attachment 3527788
Wow that’s a great pic. Haha yes that spot exactly…the area I circled was all washed out now, it’s probably an 18” drop now. I watched a Tundra smack its bumper hard coming off of that ledge, and that was my sign to turn around. I gasped, and the owner looked up at me and just said, “Found the rock!” and drove away, while I proceeded with a 10 point u turn.
IMG_8781.jpeg

Wow that’s a great pic. Haha yes that spot exactly…the area I circled was all washed out now, it’s probably an 18” drop now. I watched a Tundra smack its bumper hard coming off of that ledge, and that was my sign to turn around. I gasped, and the owner looked up at me and just said, “Found the rock!” and drove away, while I proceeded with a 10 point u turn.
View attachment 3527805

Wow, my picture was from early Dec, only a month ago. That area must have seen some good rain since. Including Coyote Canyon! Wonder what Diablo Dropoff looks like.

Wow, my picture was from early Dec, only a month ago. That area must have seen some good rain since. Including Coyote Canyon! Wonder what Diablo Dropoff looks like.
I asked the ranger that question exactly and he looked at my truck with my 3yo daughter sitting with me driving on my lap, and said “…ehhh, I wouldn’t try it this time around.” So who knows!

Whether deep woods or not deep woods….or maybe you had to sleep in a Wal Mart parking lot when you flew to get your 200. Whatever it is…let’s see it.

We have a Jayco X17Z that we tow. We try to stay within a few hours. I have the Redarc Elite hooked up. OEM suspension. Does well.

This pic is actually a KOA outside of Asheville.

View attachment 3315506
Is that a hobie outback on top?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom