Let's laugh! (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took the 40 out for a Sunday drive, parked it by some hay bales in Valley Forge National Park for a pic.

Some dude pulled over and asked me "Is that the new Defender?"

Hooooly cow!

5C3A0489-3FDB-4FC1-8488-2DCC4FAEF6FA.jpeg

i must have missed the memo on that 40.....for some reason i though you ended up with one, a little more rustic than that fine example.

i must have missed the memo on that 40

That's the first pic I've posted of it. It looked like that when I picked it up last year in Indiana, except for the 4plus front bumper and winch, as well as the White Knuckle sliders.

It has a Malottte ( I think) fiberglass tub. Previous owner spent a ton of dough on it, and then sold it to me to Buy a Tesla. The receipts that came with the rig outweighed my purchase price, which was either 13.5 or 14K, I can't remember.

It is REALLY solid, starts right up by just touching the key, Has mini truck p/s, and drives very nicely. Stock engine, with a Weber carb.

I sent it up to Gary, and he did a bunch of stuff to it for me. I just do not have the time.
Rear disc conversion, reseal front axle, U-bolt flip, new oil pan (stripped drain plug), and soooo much more. @shmukster hooked me up!

I was initially planning on wheeling it, but now think that would be foolish of me. So it may just be a mall crawler.

A few months ago, this '74 popped up locally on CL, for only $6500. It was a father son resto project that sold on ebay in 2002. The guy who bought it only used it sparingly. I think about 4K miles since purchase. It has a fully custom steel tub that was incredibly well executed, a Pontiac 307 (rebuilt by said father/son), and is pretty much RUST FREE! No hard top, but it came with a full soft top, including the door windows, as well as a bikini top. Doors have been cut down, but are very well done.

I bought it to flip, but may make this a wheeler. Not sure yet.

Here are a few pics from when I purchased it.

92A6C0B9-0BE6-450A-A953-74F286E8419D.jpeg
BAD6EABD-5700-4945-AABF-AB7F04EB61A2.jpeg

And a few more pics after I swapped out those ugly ass wheels with some 60 series chrome wheels/tires I also picked up locally. I have a set of 33x10.5 KM2's on stock rims coming my way shortly, that will go on this truck. I think when I install the new wheels, I'll want to keep it...

55FA56A0-7AB0-4790-A2C3-33CF8D7E7514.jpeg

C076E431-EADD-459A-9E11-91BCD488E94E.jpeg

Last edited:
I was initially planning on wheeling it, but now think that would be foolish of me. So it may just be a mall crawler.

I thought I was foolish to wheel my 40 as well, and yet, here I am. 🙄 for what it’s worth, I still think it’s a bad idea.

Some dude pulled over and asked me "Is that the new Defender?"

It’s comments like these that make me realize we are witnessing the death of car culture. Honestly for as much trash we talk on the “nice Jeep” people, I can understand that way more than a NEW defender (which looks as soft as a baby’s ass by the way).

My favorite “what is that” comment to date was a gentleman who pulled up behind me at a gas station, and, while fueling, said “son, I don’t mean any disrespect, but what the **** is that?”

Last edited:
That guy deserves a medal!

I thought I was foolish to wheel my 40 as well, and yet, here I am. 🙄 for what it’s worth, I still think it’s a bad idea.

Rick. My 80 wheeler was bone stock with only 77K miles on it when I bought it in 2012. It was beautiful!

I built it up, wheeled it all over the country, met a lot of great people, beat the sh!t out of it, and have no regrets.

I would not trade the fun times I’ve had with my 80 for anything.

You WILL reach this moment of Zen in your 40. It may take a few years, and some body damage...but, it’s coming.

I had a guy look at my 40 and tell me I’m an ass for wheeling it. It’s to nice! I told him there’s a lot of lip stick on that pig!

I had a guy look at my 40 and tell me I’m an ass for wheeling it. It’s to nice! I told him there’s a lot of lip stick on that pig!

I’ve had @shmukster tell me that almost verbatim.

Honestly the body on my 40 IS in great shape for its age but it’s so far from stock it’s pretty close to worthless as a collectible. It makes a cool grocery getter and I never intend to go TOO insane with the trails I take it down. Trying to find the happy medium between driving it like it was meant to be driven and not beating it up too badly. It needs bodywork one way or another. Might as well beat it up before I sink a bunch of time and money into making it sparkly.

In a perfect world I’ll stumble into a large sum of money that allows me to buy a dedicated wheeler - something I truly don’t care about and can abuse accordingly. That large sum of money has so far proven elusive!

That's the first pic I've posted of it. It looked like that when I picked it up last year in Indiana, except for the 4plus front bumper and winch, as well as the White Knuckle sliders.

It has a Malottte ( I think) fiberglass tub. Previous owner spent a ton of dough on it, and then sold it to me to Buy a Tesla. The receipts that came with the rig outweighed my purchase price, which was either 13.5 or 14K, I can't remember.

It is REALLY solid, starts right up by just touching the key, Has mini truck p/s, and drives very nicely. Stock engine, with a Weber carb.

I sent it up to Gary, and he did a bunch of stuff to it for me. I just do not have the time.
Rear disc conversion, reseal front axle, U-bolt flip, new oil pan (stripped drain plug), and soooo much more. @shmukster hooked me up!

A few months ago, this '74 popped up locally on CL, for only $6500. It was a father son resto project that sold on ebay in 2002. The guy who bought it only used it sparingly. I think about 4K miles since purchase. It has a fully custom steel tub that was incredibly well executed, a Pontiac 307 (rebuilt by said father/son), and is pretty much RUST FREE! No hard top, but it came with a full soft top, including the door windows, as well as a bikini top. Doors have been cut down, but are very well done.

View attachment 2496387View attachment 2496389

And a few more pics after I swapped out those ugly ass wheels with some 60 series chrome wheels/tires I also picked up locally. I have a set of 33x10.5 KM2's on stock rims coming my way shortly, that will go on this truck. I think when I install the new wheels, I'll want to keep it...

View attachment 2496391
View attachment 2496390
I'd have to say there's no rust on either of Crusha's 40s!!!!!!! The tan one is one of (if not) the best fiberglass body installs I've come across. To install a fiberglass tub and get the four doors installed, properly aligned, and closing like they should is difficult. The paint job is top quality too.
The red truck has a great body(!!!!) and I can't see rust anywhere. It's a pretty basic truck and has not been butchered in any way.

View attachment 2496387View attachment 2496389

View attachment 2496391
View attachment 2496390
Damn, trucks look good on your trailer!!!!!

It’s comments like these that make me realize we are witnessing the death of car culture. Honestly for as much trash we talk on the “nice Jeep” people, I can understand that way more than a NEW defender (which looks as soft as a baby’s ass by the way).

My favorite “what is that” comment to date was a gentleman who pulled up behind me at a gas station, and, while fueling, said “son, I don’t mean any disrespect, but what the **** is that?”

I once had a SD State Trooper walk up to my 40 at a gas station and say "I don't know what that thing is but does it at least have a/c?" I told him it did, and he snorted and walked away. It was 105F at the time. Factory air.

I once had a SD State Trooper walk up to my 40 at a gas station and say "I don't know what that thing is but does it at least have a/c?" I told him it did, and he snorted and walked away. It was 105F at the time. Factory air.
Like real ac or 4/55 ac?

I honestly have no idea if you could get that in a 40.

Whenever I get the “AC” question I just pop out a kick vent and say “yup.”

Whenever I get the “AC” question I just pop out a kick vent and say “yup.”

i normally have to kick them back open after people kindly inform me that i forgot to close my fuel door.....

Last edited:
Like real ac or 4/55 ac?

I honestly have no idea if you could get that in a 40.

Real a/c to me. Came with the vehicle ('83) along with factory ps. And the clock. A/c was mounted under the glove compartment. If you opened the g c door it deflected the cold air onto the driver. Very appreciated.

Vince, you need to get the '83 back in PA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom