LCXC 2018: Baja! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Passport alert: A few years ago, they started requiring passports for re-entry (never needed one before)...so don't forget to make sure you have a valid passport lined up well before any dates.

A cool option: You can now get a passport "card" (the size of a driver's license/credit card) that serves as a passport, but only for Mexico & Canada. Very handy, and no need for stamps, etc. I elected to re-order both styles at once, and it's a nice option.

I've never dealt with a passport card but I know a regular passport book can take a while to get back. You can expedite the delivery for a fee but it'll still take about a month to get.

In other news, I've been searching for activities. Deep sea fishing is now on my list. Apparently late March early April is a killer time for fishing in the Sea of Cortez. So if anyone is up for it, bring some extra cash so we can catch and grill up some dead fishes. If you haven't been on a boat, be careful, it's a good way to ruin you're entire day if you can't take being at sea.

Everyone who's wanting to go, be sure to research some places and activities you're wanting to do besides just driving in Baja. If you end up only doing what I do, we'll just get drunk on the beach all day and get melanoma. That being said, I'm not the trip leader or anything, this is everyone's trip.

Try San Filipe, Coco's Corner, Bahia de Los Angles, Scammons Lagoon, Gonzaga Bay etc. Almost to many to pick from

Most violent crime is gang on gang or drug related. As long as no one plans on getting involved in drug deals with the cartel, getting blind drunk at a shady club until 4am, or doing anything dumb in general, we'll be fine, especially in a group. I would be far more concerned about going to Detroit or Chicago.

The rule of thumb in Chicago is "don't go south of the presidential streets". Though the south loop has cleaned up quite a bit over the last 20 years.

This trip sounds epic, let me check scheduling, but mark me down as very interested. :)

Put me on the list! Fluent Spanish speaker. I'm flexible on schedule but Jan/Feb would be the best whale watching. Going out in Magdalena Bay on a small boat to see the baby gray whales is super cool! Plenty of Humpbacks down in Cabo.

I am definitely interested, but unfortunately the nature of my work makes it impossible to commit this far in advance. I'll check back in in February if I'm able to go. Mark, if I'm able to go we should drive down together.

Good reads. Good ideas in there too. I added the Top 5 spots to the map.

The San Felipe 250 will be going on while we're in the area. Not as cool as the big 1000 or 500, but should be cool. Either way we can definitely run part of some of the previous year's 1000 routes.

Re: group size. 6-8 trucks is ideal, 10-12 would be the limit imo. Camping and travel isn't really an issue as there is so much terrain but many of the towns you'll visit have smaller food/gas options and you start getting a really big group and time will be stretched out. Totally workable with a larger group, just plan to scale back your travel times and allow a bit more time for fuel/food, etc. Group Dynamics at work :D

I am seriously thinking about shipping my rig out/back to/from SD. It will save me 6 travel days, ~5500 miles and would be roughly the same cost as me driving it out and back. Once we finalize the dates I am going to start booking and building

I cannot yet commit, yet I have been down there on several trips (2001 and a few short trips in 2005) and would love to join. This would be a dream trip and a good excuse to further outfit my rig. I'll keep a watch on this thread.

@Riverrunner can help you with this. He did a great job with the logistics of getting my hundred back-and-forth to Colorado for the 100s in the hills event.

Thanks @fireball . I can help if you guys are interested. Sounds like an epic trip!

I am seriously thinking about shipping my rig out/back to/from SD. It will save me 6 travel days, ~5500 miles and would be roughly the same cost as me driving it out and back. Once we finalize the dates I am going to start booking and building
I'm in San Diego and can offer a secure place to ship to and drop off at if that will help in any way. I'm planning on going to Baja with the group.

I'm in San Diego and can offer a secure place to ship to and drop off at if that will help in any way. I'm planning on going to Baja with the group.
I will definitely be taking you up on that! Appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom