Events/Trails LCDC 2019 - 5th Anniversary (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did some warm up in Dubai today. Really fun desert safari riding the dunes. I am really amazed at the capability of these LCs. The one we rode in had over 220k miles and rode hard twice a day in the desert. Smooth as can be on the highway and not a rattle or creak at all. Our driver was crazy. I felt like we were going to roll many times but it kept upright. I tried to get some video but nothing really turned out. Really fun adventure. If you find yourself in the UAE, its worth doing.

IMG_1636.JPG

Shirts came today and look awesome! Great job Matt! So excited we are only 12 days away and anticipating 70 200s this year! Pretty incredible considering where we started. Lots of new faces so looking forward to meeting everyone and having a great time regardless of trails we do. We’ll see everyone at Elite’s kickoff event which we’ll also have a few raffle items and giveaways.

@sleeoffroad closing dinner will include even more giveaways and wrap up the events festivities.

Totally get the concerns. We’ll see...
Big rain on the way up there plus fairly warm temps...so who knows.

**On a happier note... There are going to be 60-70 200 Series there. That, all by itself, is a totally new thing in the Western Hemisphere—A first—to have this many 200’s in one place. LC drivers in the US simply son’t Have these opportunities. We drive an uncommon vehicle so unlike Jeeps or Tacomas the chance to see a lot of builds, equipment choices and approaches first hand are few and far-between. So...this is gonna be fun.

Like all of us, I’m hoping some favorite trails will open up in time...
...but if NOT?
-That will have at least a few positive side-effects:

—Encourage the discovery of NEW terrain (I call that “exploring”...my favorite activity!)
—Witness Ouray in conditions not seen in several decades (so as Walter Cronkite used to say, “And you...were there!”)
—Focus more attention on the people we meet and the many friendly folk we will most likely see and wheel with again in the future. That is a huge part of the draw to this event for me.

If it hadn’t been for the other LCDC events in years past, I would have just continued my tendency to wheel and travel alone...which is fine too....
...But because of LCDC I have enjoyed many other travels.

I would have never done Baja, Mojave, Cruise Moab(s) and many other outings without having met folks at the event.

So... Really looking forward to it no matter what the snow, mud, rain or other factors render.

Markuson

PS.
At Overland Expo West a couple months ago in Flagstaff...there were MAYBE 10 (ten) 200 series to peek at, scattered here & there. -But no trail groups...no 200-based gatherings at all, of course.
In Ouray? 60 - 70 200’s in one little park BBQ!!! It’s a golden opportunity that exists literally nowhere else we can drive to here.

See y’all soon, come rain or shine or snow or mud.
:cheers:

PPS...
Here are a couple shots from a a lesser-famed...non-technical...lower elevation spot that is not considered “big-time” (“big time” being BBP, Imogene Pass, etc).
:oops: :p
040BE6D3-A4E6-4F92-8858-B492EFA64505.jpeg

Ouray is flat out gorgeous... no matter what...and we end up thinking “Woah” all week long—even in town at just 7000ft without being on a 13,000 on a pass. In fact... the highest passes are devoid of trees. So in many ways, the most incredible scenes are at a lower elevation.

Last edited:
**On a happier note... There are going to be 60-70 200 Series there. That, all by itself, is a totally new thing in the Western Hemisphere—A first—to have this many 200’s in one place.
It's the equivalent of 1,150 current generation Tundras based on percentages.

Looking like Imogene is close. It should be open when we get there. and repairs may be all Blackbear needs

Best source of information IMOP

New owner here! Wish I had known about this event!! Just joined the mailing list and hopefully be able to join next year. We typically go to FJ Summit, but couldn't make it this year. It would be nice to do the trails with a smaller group.

Should be an interesting year in the mountains! Have fun and be safe.

For sale at the event:

Pass Your Amateur Radio Technician Class Test The Easy Way
Used this book to get my license. It's a simple read, about 100 pages of narrative and then the question bank with only the answers. I read it once through in under 5 hours and immediately started passing practice tests with no prior knowledge of the test. Got the book on a Tuesday, passed test on Saturday.

Evo Corse Dakar Zero wheel stickers. I have 2 wheels' worth of black stickers that I'm happy to let go.

Price for book or a single wheels' worth of stickers: 1 :beer:

Hey everyone! My family and I will be in the Durango area and up to Telluride from Louisiana around the time of this event. No LC for us, but we have a '17 TRD Pro Cement 4runner. If y'all see us around a trail, or around town feel free to say hi. Hope y'all have a successful event and safe travels.

Hey everyone! My family and I will be in the Durango area and up to Telluride from Louisiana around the time of this event. No LC for us, but we have a '17 TRD Pro Cement 4runner. If y'all see us around a trail, or around town feel free to say hi. Hope y'all have a successful event and safe travels.
I'm from New Iberia I will be up for event message me on fb Jonathan derise

Just got back from Ouray. Trail conditions are improving by the minute. Trail traffic was insane due to the number of closures. I also pre-ran the Slee mystery trail this weekend. The trail is in fantastic shape. Only 2 muddy spots to speak of and the rest was pretty dry. The trail use is much higher this year. I suspect it's due to the amount of trail closure around it. We may have to clear 1 or 2 downed trees with the ol bow saw, but other than that it should be smooth sailing and a good time.

Also please consider taking the time to update the Bushducks pass status page if you did any of the relevant trails. It helps a ton of people even outside this group.

I'll be up there later this week and early next.. was figuring traffic would be nuts whenever things finally started to open. I might just focus on the more obscure stuff..

Oof. Storms forecasted during the entire trip. Bringing some extra towels for the dog and some rain gear.

Oof. Storms forecasted during the entire trip. Bringing some extra towels for the dog and some rain gear.

Seems that’s based on the GFS model which changed recently and has had some problems in that area lately.

For by far the best weather forecasting in the area and by a local: Durango Weather Guy

And support him if you can.

Edit to say: still bring towels, but if this guy is saying rain looks less likely that’s a good reason to be happy about better weather.

Seems that’s based on the GFS model which changed recently and has had some problems in that area lately.

For by far the best weather forecasting in the area and by a local: Durango Weather Guy

And support him if you can.

Edit to say: still bring towels, but if this guy is saying rain looks less likely that’s a good reason to be happy about better weather.

Nice intel. Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom