LC Shop did something weird? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Title says it all. Basically my LC engine was making a squeaking sound when the engine got warmed up. Then the higher the rpm's the faster the squeak got.

I took it to a local shop here in Austin, explained the symptoms to the mechanic. Coincidentally on my 16mi drive to the shop the sound did not start (how fortunate :bang:). Initially I thought it was the idler pulley after reading some other's symptoms on here... he said he was going to turn the belt by hand to see if he could replicate the sound.

Fast forward an hour later he told me that the coolant reservoir lid is missing and there's some residual coolant on the belt and area and it could be sloshing around and dripping on the belt causing the squeak. I didn't remember the lid ever being missing (I just purchased this vehicle about 6 weeks ago), but acknowledged and said I'd purchase a new lid and left. When I got back in the car there was a slight smell of coolant in the car, didn't give it much thought at the time.

After I got home I remembered I had pictures of the car when I purchased it which shows the lid on the container (albeit aftermarket), I purchased a new OEM one today. Also, about 10 days ago I recorded the hood open and the video shows clearly the lid on the reservoir.

So my question is, why would the mechanic toss the lid and not investigate what the issue was?

He didn't charge me for anything either. But it was pretty annoying still because I had to drive 30min during a workday in traffic just to get it checked out.

(Picture taken after coolant reservoir lid "disappeared", can also see some white dried up residual coolant on the radiator)
1s123.jpg

(Picture at time of purchase showing aftermarket coolant reservoir lid- lid was also in video taken 10 days ago)
23d2.png

Last edited:
It’s possible the aftermarket lid did not fit well and came off (blew off) between the vehicle purchase and the noise starting. You probably noticed the OEM cap has a vent tube and that aftermarket one does not. I think your mechanic did everything right and the fault was with whoever put that aftermarket lid on. With no coolant splashing out now, I assume the belt is clean and noise is gone. A good question might be what work was done on the vehicle prior to your purchase that needed a replacement lid?

It’s possible the aftermarket lid did not fit well and came off (blew off) between the vehicle purchase and the noise starting. You probably noticed the OEM cap has a vent tube and that aftermarket one does not. I think your mechanic did everything right and the fault was with whoever put that aftermarket lid on. With no coolant splashing out now, I assume the belt is clean and noise is gone. A good question might be what work was done on the vehicle prior to your purchase that needed a replacement lid?

This is exactly what I was thinking as well.

I did think that could be possible. For the record I’m not trying to blame anything on the mechanic, especially since he didn’t charge me for anything. But the “squeak” was there also on day 1 when I purchased the vehicle after I took it for a test drive and the lid was present. :meh: I honestly just wanted the issue fixed because when the squeak comes, it gets very loud.

I did think that could be possible. For the record I’m not trying to blame anything on the mechanic, especially since he didn’t charge me for anything. But the “squeak” was there also on day 1 when I purchased the vehicle after I took it for a test drive and the lid was present. :meh: I honestly just wanted the issue fixed because when the squeak comes, it gets very loud.
Is the squeak gone now?

Is the squeak gone now?
It was on the drive back home. It usually happens when I drive in the city (under 50mph/stop and go traffic).

For the record I want the mechanic to be right and the $30 new part fixes it all but I was just a little stumped why everything presented the way it is to me.

That aftermarket cap may have been put on just before purchase but there was already coolant residue on the belt, to explain why the squeak was there even with the cap on.

That aftermarket cap may have been put on just before purchase but there was already coolant residue on the belt, to explain why the squeak was there even with the cap on.
Ohh so any coolant on the belt even if old/dried could cause a squeak?

TIA!

TIA!
Given the texture of a belt rib I can see it taking a while to scrub off, yes. But eventually if the coolant source went away it would too.

After I got home I remembered I had pictures of the car when I purchased it which shows the lid on the container (albeit aftermarket), I purchased a new OEM one today. Also, about 10 days ago I recorded the hood open and the video shows clearly the lid on the reservoir.

So my question is, why would the mechanic toss the lid and not investigate what the issue was?

Pretty big jump to conclusion the mechanic tossed the lid based on it being there 10 days ago.

Last edited:
Pretty big jump to conclusion the mechanic tossed the lid based on it being there 10 days ago.

Agree, not sure their name should be put out there like this. I’ve not been to this shop yet, but have talked to the owner on the phone a few times about my old 100 and have friends who like them. Doubtful they spun up a cover story about a knockoff cap. Pretty sure they just saved OP some coin by not needlessly changing a belt or replacing pulleys.

I suppose there’s still a chance the squeak comes back, in case it wasn’t related to the bootleg cap and spilled coolant. At least they ruled out the most obvious (and cheapest) cause.

Agree, not sure their name should be put out there like this. I’ve not been to this shop yet, but have talked to the owner on the phone a few times about my old 100 and have friends who like them. Doubtful they spun up a cover story about a knockoff cap. Pretty sure they just saved OP some coin by not needlessly changing a belt or replacing pulleys.

I suppose there’s still a chance the squeak comes back, in case it wasn’t related to the bootleg cap and spilled coolant. At least they ruled out the most obvious (and cheapest) cause.
I (edited) removed their name.

TIA!
Getting coolant on a belt can permanently ruin the belt, causing noise even after the coolant has dries up.

After having this happen to me, I'm now always extremely careful never to let coolant spill on belts when doing service or repairs. If it does, I flush it off immediately with water.

Getting coolant on a belt can permanently ruin the belt, causing noise even after the coolant has dries up.

After having this happen to me, I'm now always extremely careful never to let coolant spill on belts when doing service or repairs. If it does, I flush it off immediately with water.
Oh thanks for the heads up! I'll swap out the belt altogether if the issues doesn't resolve after I wipe it clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom