LC & LX470 Tesla Style Screen Radio Upgrade with Climate Control: General Discussions (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took a peak at the wiring the other day when installing my backup camera. Found some unused connectors. Only thing not working in the truck is the steering wheel controls. Male end is phoenix wires, female end is Lexus harness.
1628204351870.png
1628204371309.png
1628204399475.png
1628204410931.png
1628204420560.png

Thanks to all the knowledge you guys are sharing - I just purchased a 2005 LX470 that the PO had installed a PX6 from Phoenix into but some functions are not working that I'll have to address:
- Backup camera - hoping to splice in the oem camera
- GPS - the oem antenna is apparently not plugged in. Does it require any kind of adapter?
- Security LED - I saw an earlier post for a '99, has anyone added a standalone for post 2003?

Steering wheel control should work. Did you try mapping them in settings? Mine were good out of the box but I saw that was an option.
For the side vents, are you using the clips from what you removed? If so, they are the issue. The top and bottom pin on each side vents uses a different clip. It’s metal and has a stronger hold. I don’t have the part number because I ended up buying the Toyota wood side vents to better match my lx trim.
Would you happen to have the part numbers for the OEM side vents?

Thanks to all the knowledge you guys are sharing - I just purchased a 2005 LX470 that the PO had installed a PX6 from Phoenix into but some functions are not working that I'll have to address:

@TigerMudder you can use the OEM camera in two ways:

1) Use the factory Television Camera ECU and wire it as described in this post:

2) OR do what I did... Junk the Television Camera ECU and install a step-down transformer to power the 6V to the rear camera.

I even went a step further and used a Video Splitter to feed the dash cam and the backup camera. If you follow the drawing shown in post #131 you can see how it's done.

- GPS - the oem antenna is apparently not plugged in. Does it require any kind of adapter?

The radio came with a GPS antenna. If it was placed in a poor location, you might have issues with reception. You have enough cable to run it to a better location.

- Security LED - I saw an earlier post for a '99, has anyone added a standalone for post 2003?

Sorry... Cannot help here.

20210609_120257.jpg

GPS Antenna.jpg

Hey Fitterblue, the Tesla Style Screen is only compatible with non-nav Land Cruisers. Your Land Cruiser is a nav head unit so unfortunately you cannot install the Tesla Screen.
BUT! I have an alternative for you if you're still interested in upgrading your Land Cruiser.

You can install one of these Single Din 7 inch Flip-Out Android touch screens.

View attachment 2709970

Theses Flip-Out Screens basically have all the functions the Tesla Screen has (because they're both powered by Android)
It only has a smaller screen that's all.

Do you have the process documented for this modification? Did you have to rewrite anything, etc?

@TigerMudder you can use the OEM camera in two ways:

1) Use the factory Television Camera ECU and wire it as described in this post:

2) OR do what I did... Junk the Television Camera ECU and install a step-down transformer to power the 6V to the rear camera.

I even went a step further and used a Video Splitter to feed the dash cam and the backup camera. If you follow the drawing shown in post #131 you can see how it's done.

The radio came with a GPS antenna. If it was placed in a poor location, you might have issues with reception. You have enough cable to run it to a better location.

Sorry... Cannot help here.

View attachment 2765366

View attachment 2765367

I am trying to work through a similar install I'd like to do..

So you removed the ECU and hooked up the power converter, then fed the RCA line up to the PX6 and used "CAMERA" input? Where did you split it, coming out from there? And then have an input coming from the dash cam as well?

How is this set up on the PX6 in terms of settings? The rear comes on when you put the car in reverse? Dash cam feed goes into "S. CAMERA" or into VIDEO IN? How do you turn on the feed from the dash cam?

I am trying to work through a similar install I'd like to do..

So you removed the ECU and hooked up the power converter, then fed the RCA line up to the PX6 and used "CAMERA" input? Where did you split it, coming out from there? And then have an input coming from the dash cam as well?

How is this set up on the PX6 in terms of settings? The rear comes on when you put the car in reverse? Dash cam feed goes into "S. CAMERA" or into VIDEO IN? How do you turn on the feed from the dash cam?
I'm going off memory, I'm getting old and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night... :)

So, that said... Double... No... Triple check your connections. And always disconnect your battery.

Rear Cam Power:
Splice the harness, I used the ACC 12V to power up the step-down transformer and feed the rear cam 6V.

Video:
Splice the harness, used the rear cam video connection and connected a RCA Female Plug. Then connect a splitter for the Tesla and Dash Cam.

Ran one Back up Camera RCA Video Cable to the Dash Cam (this is a complete different topic) and one to the Tesla Radio.

Tesla and Dash Cam Trigger Power:
Splice the harness and locate the reverse trigger wire for the Tesla Rear Cam.
Splice the harness and find an ACC 12V for the Dash Cam. (mine is on as long as the car is on... you can run constant 12V if you want)

Hope you get the idea.

20201016_172816.jpg

CE8F3A44-19BA-4C73-85EF-8D1799DBE222.jpeg

I plan on installing a front camera using the S. Cam (side camera) and installing a switch to power it up...

I'll post that when I get time to do it. (Winter Project???)

Would you happen to have the part numbers for the OEM side vents?
55660-60170 and 55670-60110 are the wood look. They‘re a very good but not perfect match for the LX wood. Most people won’t notice the difference (which is primarily in the depth of the grain) unless it’s pointed out. The vents that come with those numbers are black, so you need to swap silver ones over from your original vents. The top horizontal bar is an integrated pary so will still be black, but again, most people wouldn’t notice unless you showed them.

You could also try getting 90468-05077. I believe those are the clips you need to use for where the vents clip into the frame of the Tesla radio. I haven’t actually tried them but noticed they were the same when I had the lift gate interior garnish off. They’re cheap so might be worth starting there to see if they work. Report back if you do.

1630124664782.png

Last edited:
Ok, so everything is hooked up. Works well, camera turns on when I go to the APP menu and choose Monitor.

Does anyone know of a way to have it automatically come up when I put the car into reverse? Clicking through the menus seems tedious over time.

Ok, so everything is hooked up. Works well, camera turns on when I go to the APP menu and choose Monitor.

Does anyone know of a way to have it automatically come up when I put the car into reverse? Clicking through the menus seems tedious over time.
How did you wire your camera?

There's no soft setting. You need to use the trigger wire, 27, to enable the rear cam on the display.

How did you wire your camera?

There's no soft setting. You need to use the trigger wire, 27, to enable the rear cam on the display.
Removed stock camera, replaced with aftermarket camera and fed RCA through panels to radio. Spliced into rear lights for power. Then spliced red line behind camera into REAR or whatever that brown wire says for the trigger. Is that the wrong wire to connect to? There were a handful of random end wires available, one just said REAR.

Removed stock camera, replaced with aftermarket camera and fed RCA through panels to radio. Spliced into rear lights for power. Then spliced red line behind camera into REAR or whatever that brown wire says for the trigger. Is that the wrong wire to connect to? There were a handful of random end wires available, one just said REAR.
I don't remember if there's a trigger wire in the back... I think there is, but don't quote me. :)

The one I used is under the PS seat.

Tesla units in Tesla vehicles are one of the weakest spots in Teslas -- decent design ideas, but even they cheapened out on execution side. So, these chicom trinkets could be yet another set of time bombs. We should be very grateful to the OP and other pioneers risking their money and time and, most importantly, reporting back as the things stand in reality.. Thank you, folks
? I’ve owned 4 Tesla’s and the screens are phenomenal. One of the absolute best things about them.

I'm in the club now! Quick question, when i'm playing music off of a USB drive, and then when i switch over to CarPlay the music goes off. Is that how it is, is there a way to fix that? Or do i have to play music off my phone while i'm in carplay mode. 2nd, how do i copy music over into the HDD on the screen?

51546877006_8f5f076d15_h.jpg

@FxFormat which specific unit did you get and does everything work including backup camera?

@FxFormat which specific unit did you get and does everything work including backup camera?

I got whatever Phoenix Automotive was selling, i think i paid $550 shipped for it. Everything works but @rrc swb has to install my camera for me because i don't know what i'm doing haha. He's an electrician, i'm scared of wires.

The backup camera is not that bad if you know how to read the schematic.

I used a 12v to 6v transformer to feed it and a female RCA cable.

I got whatever Phoenix Automotive was selling, i think i paid $550 shipped for it. Everything works but @rrc swb has to install my camera for me because i don't know what i'm doing haha. He's an electrician, i'm scared of wires.
Thursday, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom