LC & LX470 Tesla Style Screen Radio Upgrade with Climate Control: General Discussions (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 2004 Lexus LX 470. Couple of issues I’m hopeful someone has seen and found a resolution.

1. My memory function for my seats doesn’t work anymore after install of the Tesla head unit. All wiring is correct and all my other functions works just fine.

2. For some reason I can’t get my amplifier to save its settings. When I change the settings it stays and then when I turn my car off and back on it resets.

I’ve spoken to Sergey about both of these issues and he doesn’t know. It’s really weird. Thanks!

Here is a photo:

7D7F6E66-26BE-4AC8-B264-486033F0FFFA.jpeg

I confirm there is a connector that needs to be plugged into J for the 4 buttons to work. I was able to open the dash, find the connector and plug-in in about 30 secs. Took about 30mins to get everything back together and now it looks like crap cause nothing wanted to go back the way it was. Oh well at the least the buttons work.

This is what it looked like when I pulled the headunit. I found the cable on the left side
View attachment 2700449

Close up of connector
View attachment 2700450

plugged in to J

View attachment 2700451
Yup, I had that plugged in, but didn’t have the other end plugged into the canbus. Thanks

Following, looking forward to your report on if it works. Is this the headunit you're replacing? This is my 02.

View attachment 2705054
Hey Fitterblue, the Tesla Style Screen is only compatible with non-nav Land Cruisers. Your Land Cruiser is a nav head unit so unfortunately you cannot install the Tesla Screen.
BUT! I have an alternative for you if you're still interested in upgrading your Land Cruiser.

You can install one of these Single Din 7 inch Flip-Out Android touch screens.

Screenshot_2021-06-21-23-40-02-28.jpg

Theses Flip-Out Screens basically have all the functions the Tesla Screen has (because they're both powered by Android)
It only has a smaller screen that's all.

Hey Fitterblue, the Tesla Style Screen is only compatible with non-nav Land Cruisers. Your Land Cruiser is a nav head unit so unfortunately you cannot install the Tesla Screen.
BUT! I have an alternative for you if you're still interested in upgrading your Land Cruiser.

You can install one of these Single Din 7 inch Flip-Out Android touch screens.

View attachment 2709970

Theses Flip-Out Screens basically have all the functions the Tesla Screen has (because they're both powered by Android)
It only has a smaller screen that's all.

OK. So my '02 looks exactly like Fitterblue's (my nav unit is dead). I've been lurking on this thread for a long time trying to decide what direction to go in and when to pull the trigger. A local car audio shop has done several of the Tesla style units (not sure which brand or model) in the past and stopped because it caused headaches versus their standard units. They offered me a Pioneer unit like the pic above @ around $800 including factory amp bypass and new speakers. Are there options to replace my Nav unit and get the full functionality of the existing controls? Are the PX6 units at least 90% ready for prime time (with a little help from our Ih8mud friends)? What about the competing UIS7862 units? My strong preference is to rip and replace . . . and my trigger finger is getting very itchy. :)

OK. So my '02 looks exactly like Fitterblue's (my nav unit is dead). I've been lurking on this thread for a long time trying to decide what direction to go in and when to pull the trigger. A local car audio shop has done several of the Tesla style units (not sure which brand or model) in the past and stopped because it caused headaches versus their standard units. They offered me a Pioneer unit like the pic above @ around $800 including factory amp bypass and new speakers. Are there options to replace my Nav unit and get the full functionality of the existing controls? Are the PX6 units at least 90% ready for prime time (with a little help from our Ih8mud friends)? What about the competing UIS7862 units? My strong preference is to rip and replace . . . and my trigger finger is getting very itchy. :)
I did the PX6 unit from Phoenix Automotive and I've been very happy with it. Someone said they aren't compatible with LCs/LXs with factory nav. That's not correct. Mine is an '05 and came with factory nav and the PX6 unit replaced it perfectly. Only factory functionality I have not been able to retain is my back-up camera but others have had success in either splicing into the factory camera or just replacing with a new camera. I'll probably go the new camera route eventually but overall very happy with the improvements. All my steering wheel buttons work and everything seems to be functioning well. Gained so much with the addition of siriusxm, apple car play, Gaia GPS app, Torque Pro app, etc.. I was also very happy with the service and support that Phoenix provided. You can send them a picture of your existing stereo/nav layout and they will make sure you get the right unit ordered. I will say this was a bigger project than I anticipated but overall very glad I went for it.

I did the PX6 unit from Phoenix Automotive and I've been very happy with it. Someone said they aren't compatible with LCs/LXs with factory nav. That's not correct. Mine is an '05 and came with factory nav and the PX6 unit replaced it perfectly. Only factory functionality I have not been able to retain is my back-up camera but others have had success in either splicing into the factory camera or just replacing with a new camera. I'll probably go the new camera route eventually but overall very happy with the improvements. All my steering wheel buttons work and everything seems to be functioning well. Gained so much with the addition of siriusxm, apple car play, Gaia GPS app, Torque Pro app, etc.. I was also very happy with the service and support that Phoenix provided. You can send them a picture of your existing stereo/nav layout and they will make sure you get the right unit ordered. I will say this was a bigger project than I anticipated but overall very glad I went for it.

Im so happy to hear about this I also have an 05 but mine is an LX.

Hi Guys
Just got mine install is some shop In Philadelphia got it from rhino.com
Everything is working expect the problem I read here the original back camera and speakers problem that I will need to replace the camera and amp,
But I also not sure how it's connect to my Android phone is there any USB connector that they should have connect to the screen from the back ?
Is there an option to install sim card in the unit?

Thanks happy 4th

Just completed installation of PX6 12 inch unit in a 1999 LC. After some improvements (adding the security LED back and automatic dimming with interior illumination) I'm happy with the end result but the supplied adapter cable had one connector which had its wires assembled in the wrong order. This damaged the central diff lock switch PCB so I'll document and share my installation here for anybody else integrating this unit in a similar model year LC100. Hope this will help avoid repairs.

The stock climate control module is the one without navigation (nav was maybe not even an option on a LC in 1999):

cc_dash_stock.jpg

The backside of the PX6 radio with the adapter harness that was part of the android radio kit for the 1999 model year connected looks as follows:
cc_dash_new_backview_01.jpg

As written elsewhere, next step is to remove the AC amplifier unit and central diff lock / emergency flasher switch units from the stock center console and connect them to the new headunit. The cable that was assembled incorrectly is the 7-wire pigtail in the lower right corner of the image, it arrived in my kit as:
cc_dash_wrong_cable.jpg

After installing this and testing all functions the emergency lights would not blink, central diff lock did not work and illumination of the switch unit did not follow the rest of the dash. Taking the center dash apart again to inspect the connections I noticed a burnt trace on the switch unit and found out both a trace was now missing and the transistor on the unit was blown up. Both issues were fortunately low cost to repair (use e.g. transistor KSA916YTA as replacement, mouser #512-KSA916YTA, due to the original one being obsoleted). The transistor is marked as Tr20 on the PCB, in this picture removed for testing:
cc_dash_tr20_test.jpg

and the burnt trace is simply bridged by soldering wired connections where necessary on the PCB.

Diving into what caused this damage I compared the wire harness connection between AC amplifier and switch PCB from the stock setup to the new Android headunit. To my surprise they did not match but were in almost exactly reversed order on the 7-pin switch PCB side. The reversed order causes the illumination current to be applied to the central diff lock components so when turning on the lights the PCB got damaged. This may just be an incidental harness production issue but if you plan to install it please check. In my setup the correct connection order is:
cc_dash_good_cable.jpg

Note that the Red and White wires can be swapped, these are the illumination + and - lines. I chose to follow the Toyota stock AC amplifier to switch PCB order when rewiring the 7 pin connector. After this fix all functions worked again, was very lucky the AC amplifier was not damaged.

Sorry, I'm a newbie on this forum and found out a post is limited to 5 images so I'll post the security LED and head unit illumination additions separately.

How to add day/night mode auto dimming to a PX6 12 inch installation on a LC100 1999 non-nav

In the android radio kit that I received the illumination + wire from the stock headunit connector was not connected inside the adapter harness to the illumination input of the Android radio. The simple fix was to add this wire into the connectors. Take the orange wire that comes from Android radio connector A pin 10 and connect it to Illumination + on the connector that goes to the Toyota head unit side, this is pin 2 on the stock head unit connector:
cc_add_illumination.jpg

I used one of the contacts from an unused connector in the set of adapter cables that was supplied in the android radio kit for this modification. The contact dimensions and retainer position were correct but the overall contact was a bit too long, hence the heat shrink visible in the picture close to the connector which insulates the added wire / contact.

After this fix, the brightness level set on the Android tablet for night mode is automatically applied when the lights come on.

And then about the blinky "security" LED. Why bother? Well, I didn't get all keys with LC I purchased and need to visit a Toyota dealer soon to get spare keys made and programmed. I read about the blinking patterns providing feedback about the immobilizer function of the keys so just to make it easier for me and any service tech that may not be too thrilled to work on a vehicle with a non-stock dash I took a shot at trying to find out how to get this LED back. That appeared to be easy after having already gone through the trouble of deciphering the connection between AC amplifier PCB, vehicle wire harness and central diff lock PCB. The security LED is powered by a line located on pin 24 of the connector from the Android radio to the AC amplifier. Add a wire to this connector to drive a 470 or 560 ohm resistor plus LED, connect the other side of the LED to ground and you get the security LED function back.

Add the additional wire on the 24 pin AC amplifier connection (the yellow wire was added):
cc_add_sec_LED_01.jpg

The contact is a JST contact, these are the same as used in "grove" sensor connectors, search for a "grove sensor cable" to source and reuse a pre-assembled contact+wire.

Connected a small 3 mm LED and placed it just below and inline with the MIC and reset functions on the left side of the Android radio display:
cc_add_sec_LED_02.jpg

Anyone figure out how to reset the alitimeter or set an offset? Driving around Houston it is displaying between -10 and -15 meters when it should be showing +30 meter elevation. I tried to hold my finger on it to reset like the pitch and roll displays but no luck with the alititude.

Thought others might want to see what I did this week. Replaced the display and all ac controls with a Tesla Tablet style Android radio from Phoenix automotive radio. I like it a lot. I plug in my iPhone and use CarPlay to control music, make calls, navigate, etc. Controls all ventilation, integrated with backup camera and steering wheel controls. Cost about $1300 total, but is pretty sweet having 2019 electronics capabilities in an 06 Cruiser. View attachment 2082589
I recently bought a LX470 with this Phoenix system installed. I purchased the separate dongle for Apple car play, but having issues trying to get it to work. Did you do anything in particular to get it set up?

Just completed installation of PX6 12 inch unit in a 1999 LC. After some improvements (adding the security LED back and automatic dimming with interior illumination) I'm happy with the end result but the supplied adapter cable had one connector which had its wires assembled in the wrong order. This damaged the central diff lock switch PCB so I'll document and share my installation here for anybody else integrating this unit in a similar model year LC100. Hope this will help avoid repairs.

The stock climate control module is the one without navigation (nav was maybe not even an option on a LC in 1999):

View attachment 2728137

The backside of the PX6 radio with the adapter harness that was part of the android radio kit for the 1999 model year connected looks as follows:
View attachment 2728138
As written elsewhere, next step is to remove the AC amplifier unit and central diff lock / emergency flasher switch units from the stock center console and connect them to the new headunit. The cable that was assembled incorrectly is the 7-wire pigtail in the lower right corner of the image, it arrived in my kit as:
View attachment 2728143
After installing this and testing all functions the emergency lights would not blink, central diff lock did not work and illumination of the switch unit did not follow the rest of the dash. Taking the center dash apart again to inspect the connections I noticed a burnt trace on the switch unit and found out both a trace was now missing and the transistor on the unit was blown up. Both issues were fortunately low cost to repair (use e.g. transistor KSA916YTA as replacement, mouser #512-KSA916YTA, due to the original one being obsoleted). The transistor is marked as Tr20 on the PCB, in this picture removed for testing:
View attachment 2728146
and the burnt trace is simply bridged by soldering wired connections where necessary on the PCB.

Diving into what caused this damage I compared the wire harness connection between AC amplifier and switch PCB from the stock setup to the new Android headunit. To my surprise they did not match but were in almost exactly reversed order on the 7-pin switch PCB side. The reversed order causes the illumination current to be applied to the central diff lock components so when turning on the lights the PCB got damaged. This may just be an incidental harness production issue but if you plan to install it please check. In my setup the correct connection order is:
View attachment 2728163
Note that the Red and White wires can be swapped, these are the illumination + and - lines. I chose to follow the Toyota stock AC amplifier to switch PCB order when rewiring the 7 pin connector. After this fix all functions worked again, was very lucky the AC amplifier was not damaged.

Sorry, I'm a newbie on this forum and found out a post is limited to 5 images so I'll post the security LED and head unit illumination additions separately.
Man....I'd love to talk to you about you efforts here. We have same vehicle. I got mine installed. AC works, hazards work, but CDL does not. This is an area I'm average at, at best... Have time to discuss one evening?

Just went nearly all out and bought the Px6, digital TV receiver, Carplay dongle thing, rear camera.

Anyone have tips for the TV receiver placement? Any for the carplay dongle?

Man....I'd love to talk to you about you efforts here. We have same vehicle. I got mine installed. AC works, hazards work, but CDL does not. This is an area I'm average at, at best... Have time to discuss one evening?
Sure, something to check first: if the CDL still works when shifting in and out of low gear I suspect the dashboard switch is not connected correctly or damaged. PM me for a time to discuss.

I have a nakamichi with the famous error message. Considering this Tesla unit or a high end aftermarket stereo from pioneer/kenwood. What are your thoughts, is the sound / overall quality comparable to pioneer / kenwoods high end (800-1000)ish usd products?

2. Who is this Sergey that keeps getting mentioned?

Last edited:
Just finished the install. Took about an hour, but that was including installing a new backup camera and leading it under the carpet to the front.

Didn’t need the airplay dongle, already an app on the radio which does the same thing wirelessly. Also for the TV receiver, I realized that’s just ridiculous and I’m returning that receiver.

Not a terrible install. You have to make sure all the parts are plugged in, the backup camera isn’t working so at some point need to troubleshoot that.

The side bevels are AWFUL in color match and do not fit at all. I’m going to cut the old bevel and fit those in instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom