LC 2001 w/ Nav, head unit replacement question. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2001 LC Dash.jpg

Hey guys, need some stereo advice. I have a 2001 Landcruiser with Navigation. I want to replace my factory head unit, amp and 5 speakers. Will all the HVAC and navigation controls still work without the stock head unit plugged in? I don’t care about not having the audio inputs (bass, treble, front to back...etc) controlled through the navigation screen. I also don’t care that voice turn by turn instructions will not longer work as well. I just want to make sure the Nav and HVAC will all still work with no head unit input.

In the video below they relocated the head unit to the center console where the CD changer was. I would rather forgo that and just 86 it.

Meeting with my audio install guy today to talk about it.

Thank you.

:popcorn:

This video show its working in the same factory dash as my 2001.

The components are the same? I can't imagine Toyota and Lexus have different design for same module (HVAC, Audio/music, NAV) for same MY (e.g. 2001). Looks like it's all CAN bus design so if you can figure which module control which function, you can integrate it. If you look closely at some of the factory module that they remove from the bracket and plugging in wires to the new display, I think it's doable. Similar to the HVAC knob retrofit done by Musicar Northwest.

Example: 1996-2001 BMW 7ser use CAN bus that's how I was able to retrofit Navigation, Bluetooth, TV, backup cam into my car by using all factory module so it looks stock. I think the 1998-2006 Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus Lx470 use CAN bus (just analog wires) while the newer Toyota use MOST bus which is fiber optic so it requires firmware programming/coding.

Lexus chooses MOST bus for infotainment | EE Times

I purposely bought a 2001 LX 470 that didn't have the nav but, still had the ML 3 ways in the front doors. So I could upgrade everything & not cut up the car (more than the dash for a center channel speakers).

Anyway I attach a couple of pictures, if that help any?

IMG_1819.JPG

IMG_1947.JPG

To your original question..."In a nut shell, it's all integrated. The climate control buttons won't operate all features without the head unit." (Quote from another member many years ago.) So, even if you leave the factory screen in place, you can't unplug the factory head unit.

My plan was to use a sound processor with an integrated amp downstream of the factory amp (still installed) and replace the speakers. Never got around to it.

There are couple good articles on the sound system at this site; here's one:

Replacing Your Audio System: Overview

Did you upgrade your system? If so would love to see a picture of it.

Give me a couple more weeks to finish it.

Going full 7.1 surround sound JBL MS8 with Center Channel speakers, two Audio Arc 1200.6 amps, double din Kenwood with backup camera, upgrading the alternator & batteries already installed were the factory Sub used to be.

IMG_1945.JPG

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_2013.JPG

IMG_2017.JPG

The components are the same? I can't imagine Toyota and Lexus have different design for same module (HVAC, Audio/music, NAV) for same MY (e.g. 2001). Looks like it's all CAN bus design so if you can figure which module control which function, you can integrate it. If you look closely at some of the factory module that they remove from the bracket and plugging in wires to the new display, I think it's doable. Similar to the HVAC knob retrofit done by Musicar Northwest.

Example: 1996-2001 BMW 7ser use CAN bus that's how I was able to retrofit Navigation, Bluetooth, TV, backup cam into my car by using all factory module so it looks stock. I think the 1998-2006 Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus Lx470 use CAN bus (just analog wires) while the newer Toyota use MOST bus which is fiber optic so it requires firmware programming/coding.

Lexus chooses MOST bus for infotainment | EE Times

This video show its working in the same factory dash as my 2001.

Dashboard in the video is post 03+ model or you can say 2002 08 + models before 2002 08 (august) dashboard slightly different 98-02/08 as you are saying dash from video is same as in yours 2001 it is quite impossible unless someone swaps/upgrades thier dashboard with these 03+ one which looks quite more civilized and plush

So I have the dash as the person who created this thread does. I am planning on to do the same as “Musicar” did but rather than the knobs I am planning on using the buttons for the ac from the 2001 lx470 in my landcruiser and then fitting the 10.1 inch screen above. I am going to try and make it possible. I attached some photos below and by looking at it you would understand what I am saying lol.

C30B69DE-90D2-4B5C-B425-AE5B525D52AC.png

7B2C92E8-A886-42A5-9494-AD56AEB037B5.png

I am going to attempt to do this in the picture below but rather than the knobs I am going to try to put the lx470 ac buttons instead of the knobs. Please do let me know you opinions and any suggestions.

360842D7-7450-46EF-AFC3-AC95A39113E6.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom