layout for 78 2F desmog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After some thought and a fair amount of consultation with Jim C. I came up with these diagrams for a desmogged 1978 2F. I shamelessly scanned the FSM diagrams and did a bit of editing. Jim Suggested that I post them here so others could benefit and perhaps save some questions.
I think it should be fairly clear. I removed the EGR system, air injection system, the computer and the vacuum switching valve. I am using a stock carb and distributor. I made use of the existing vacuum ports on the carb as follows:
1) Advancer port on carb (ported vacuum) routed to distributor advance. Retard port on distributor capped.
2)Throttle position port (manifold vacuum) on carb routed directly to choke breaker (TP) diaphragm on carb.
3) What was the EGR port (ported vacuum) (renamed Vent Control Port on my diagram) routed through brown BVSV on thermostat housing to vacuum control valve for charcoal canister. This way canister is purged when engine is warm and not at idle. Other side of this vacuum control valve in plumbed to the top of the air cleaner.
EGR pipe at carb is capped (I used a 5/8" cooling system bypass cap from Napa). Distributor is still vented from firewall and into air cleaner.

I'm sure Jim C. is the one to ask if you have technical questions.
78 2f desmog_small.JPG
78 layout desmog_small.JPG

what about the smog pump? can it be removed and sub'd fro maybe a steering pump?

ARRGGGHHH and I thought I wouldn't have to ask for help on my 3/79 now.:crybaby:
Check out all the info for 81-later 2F (i.e. the FJ60 forum). The 79-80 is set up pretty much the same.

what about the smog pump? can it be removed and sub'd fro maybe a steering pump?

Depends upon where you live/register the Cruiser. In SoCal (and other locals) emissions testing is mandatory every two years and upon registration transfer on 1976 and newer vehicles.

Can anyone chime in on how this would change with a Weber carb. It only has one vaccum port iirc. I've been experiencing engine bogg at higher rpms. I'm not sure if it is a timing issue or fuel delivery, but I am quite sure I don't have all the emmisions stuff right.

Those diagrams are a great help!!! I am finally trying to sort out my messy desmog . A friend and i yanked everything from smog, to ac idle up, to dizzy vents, to pcv. now I have to figure out how to reconnect the rest of the systems that are messed up while i wait for a rebuild from Jim C.

THanks JIM!

I am resurrecting this old thread to ask where on of the hoses goes because it is unclear to me from the diagram.

The VCV has four hoses: one from the charcoal canister, one to the brown BVSV, one to the air filter housing, but the fourth is not obvious. It looks like it goes under the carb?

Yes, it remains connected to a port on the carb insulator plate, right under carb.
Jim
Which BVSV can I plug with the kit I purchased from you? I seem to have 2 plugs I’m confused where to put them? I also purchased desmogged carb for this.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom