1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KING 2.0 Emulsion/Piggyback/Remote (Application)

Discussion in 'HardCore Corner' started by BAJA FJ40, Apr 20, 2017.

1. BAJA FJ40

BAJA FJ40

Looking for some tips/info/recommendations prior to purchase of rear shocks.

Vehicle Weight & Application -
    • FJ40, V8, 35" Tires
    • family cage w/safari rack
    • rear bumper w/spare tire swing, rack, spare fuel cans, etc
    • Front: Y-Link, coil-overs
    • Rear: FJ60 leafs, SOA
    • 30% Crawling / 35% Off-road / 35% Street
    After speaking with a sales rep, his recommendation (with the above in mind) an emulsion type shock has no business on the vehicle, "Will not work properly. Minimum, you need a remote reservoir so the shock can work as designed." The sales rep went further to explain the internal function (differences) between emulsion and remote, which I appreciated (Been years since it was last explained to me). I wanted some more input prior to moving forward from some MUD members who are driving the real the thing.

So what are the bullet point pros/cons to the following options with the above application in mind?
    King 2.0 Smoothie 10".
    • Emulsion
    • Piggyback
    • Remote Reservoir
    Is there a functional difference between a Piggyback and a Remote (Other than getting the reservoir further away from heat and elevated above the shock body) ?

Thanks in advance! Appreciate the info.

archie73 likes this.
  2. Downey

Downey

Unless you are just looking for a reason to spend some money, the rear end of your FJ40 will never cycle enough shock oil to need a reservoir. What you actually need is a rear shock with large oil can/body that holds a lot of oil, with ultra soft valving- - -softest shock you can find. The reason is because you have a heavy engine up front, empty bed out back. When the rear end is toooo stiff, it constantly bounces upward on every bump, and you catch it in the back of your neck- - -better the rear end stays down on bumps/washboard roads, can't do that with a macho-man shock.

BAJA FJ40, mr jits and mrboatman like this.
  3. BAJA FJ40

BAJA FJ40

Thanks Downey. (Btw your new tank is being installed in the next week or so. The Centroid sender just showed up) -

I figured with the auxillary tank in the rear (now my only/primary tank), added weight of a family cage, roof rack, spare tire & bumper, two bodies, extra fuel and tools the back will have plenty of weight. The new leafs I installed are "used" FJ60 leafs which feel very soft after the install.

4. Lil'John

Lil'John SILVER Star

Jim pretty much nailed it.

From your second post, you are also looking at shocks to do something that they aren't supposed to do: account for additional weight. Shocks are built to control suspension cycling. Additional weight is supposed to be handled by springs and sway bars.

My FJ55 uses Bilstien shocks with a huge heavy roof rack, a 40 gallon tank, and a heavy tire carrier on back. The shocks have no issues but I am also using 99 Tahoe springs in rear with a thick Ruffstuff swaybar.

5. BAJA FJ40

BAJA FJ40

I'm confident the 60 leafs I installed will match well with the weight (listed above). I know shocks don't carry weight :cautious:. My second post was specifically in reference to Downey's concern for an 'empty bed', not the shock selection.

Is there a better explanation of the differences between Emulsion, Piggyback & Remote? Salesman like to sell-up. Thats why I'm getting a second opinion on their use/function.

It's clear from you two that a regular pair off shocks (Rancho/Bilstein) will work, but I'd still like to understand the pros/cons from some MUD members instead of a sales department.

6. White Stripe

White Stripe

Im not up on all that stuff. I would look for a shop in California that builds Baja trucks/vehicles/dune vehicles. Their should be plenty in California. Get their take on what to do.

7. Lil'John

Lil'John SILVER Star

Emulsion vs Piggyback/remote is pretty easy to sum up the difference... The piggyback/remote offer extra shock oil over an emulsion which allows the shock to run cooler. Visually, an emulsion shock is basically a cylinder body while the piggyback/remote have some sort of external attachment to the body. The piggyback and remote reservoir are basically the same except for packaging. The piggyback is attached to the shock body which the remote reservoir is a hose going to another cylinder.

The only reason I'd be concerned over shock cooling is if I was doing a LOT of high frequency suspension travel; better known as pre-runner, rock racing, or road racing type conditions that cause a TON of cycling.

In low speed/rock crawling, you will probably not cycle the suspension fast enough and long enough to over heat the shock. A simple larger diameter emulsion shock will work fine.

For what it is worth, my second 55 is getting remote reservoir coil overs more for looks than function(King 2.5" x14" blacked out):
    [​IMG]
    It will end up being a pure rock crawler: think Rubicon every weekend... joys of soon to be living ~40 mins away:flipoff2:

8. J Mack

J Mack

Emulsion shocks have the pressurized nitrogen gas and shock oil mixed in a common cylinder, when the gas is emulsified with the oil there is expansion and compression of the emulsified medium at the high and low pressure areas making them much less effective at converting energy consistently. You often hear terms like shock fade that refers to this phenomenon, a stiffer shim stack can compensate somewhat but makes tuning for that middle ground ride a bit more difficult.

Reservoir shocks use a remote cylinder with pressurized nitrogen gas separated by a piston to pressurize the shock oil in the shock cylinder. The pressurized fluid helps prevent cavitation of the fluid as it passes through the piston / shims. This cavitation is more evident at higher shaft velocities, they are also able to dissipate heat better, and are more resistant to fade. You are also able to tune a reservoir shock more than an emulsion shock something just as useful on a street driven vehicle as on a race vehicle.

On King 2” smoothie shocks the reservoir is a $50 upgrade, unless you have a specific reason for not adding them the benefits far outweigh the cost.

S4Cruiser, BAJA FJ40 and Lil'John like this.
  9. BAJA FJ40

BAJA FJ40

J Mack, thank you for taking the time to explain that so well, its appreciated and helps.

Lil'John, thank you as well. I was hoping to stick with the same shock manufacturer if possible, which why I was shooting for the 2.0 Smoothies by KING. Waiting on some quotes for both standard shocks and 2.0 w/Remote reservoirs as well.

10. J Mack

J Mack

Ben @ Filthy motorsports was a big help in getting the valving correct on my King shocks, might be worth a call if you haven't already talked to them.
    King 2.0 Smoothie Shocks - Starting at $244.95 w/ Free Shipping!

11. Lil'John

Lil'John SILVER Star

I'll second Ben @ Filthy Motorsports. He was great to deal with. He is very knowledgeable and if you explain your intended use, he'll get you setup. He talked me out of 3" coil overs ;)

12. BAJA FJ40

BAJA FJ40

J Mack, thanks for pointing me in right direction. Great info, great videos. I will pass it on.

J Mack likes this.