KING 2.0 Emulsion/Piggyback/Remote (Application) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some tips/info/recommendations prior to purchase of rear shocks.

Vehicle Weight & Application -
  • FJ40, V8, 35" Tires
  • family cage w/safari rack
  • rear bumper w/spare tire swing, rack, spare fuel cans, etc
  • Front: Y-Link, coil-overs
  • Rear: FJ60 leafs, SOA
  • 30% Crawling / 35% Off-road / 35% Street
After speaking with a sales rep, his recommendation (with the above in mind) an emulsion type shock has no business on the vehicle, "Will not work properly. Minimum, you need a remote reservoir so the shock can work as designed." The sales rep went further to explain the internal function (differences) between emulsion and remote, which I appreciated (Been years since it was last explained to me). I wanted some more input prior to moving forward from some MUD members who are driving the real the thing.

So what are the bullet point pros/cons to the following options with the above application in mind?
King 2.0 Smoothie 10".
  • Emulsion
  • Piggyback
  • Remote Reservoir
Is there a functional difference between a Piggyback and a Remote (Other than getting the reservoir further away from heat and elevated above the shock body) ?

Thanks in advance! Appreciate the info.

Unless you are just looking for a reason to spend some money, the rear end of your FJ40 will never cycle enough shock oil to need a reservoir. What you actually need is a rear shock with large oil can/body that holds a lot of oil, with ultra soft valving- - -softest shock you can find. The reason is because you have a heavy engine up front, empty bed out back. When the rear end is toooo stiff, it constantly bounces upward on every bump, and you catch it in the back of your neck- - -better the rear end stays down on bumps/washboard roads, can't do that with a macho-man shock.

Thanks Downey. (Btw your new tank is being installed in the next week or so. The Centroid sender just showed up) -

I figured with the auxillary tank in the rear (now my only/primary tank), added weight of a family cage, roof rack, spare tire & bumper, two bodies, extra fuel and tools the back will have plenty of weight. The new leafs I installed are "used" FJ60 leafs which feel very soft after the install.

I'm confident the 60 leafs I installed will match well with the weight (listed above). I know shocks don't carry weight :cautious:. My second post was specifically in reference to Downey's concern for an 'empty bed', not the shock selection.

Is there a better explanation of the differences between Emulsion, Piggyback & Remote? Salesman like to sell-up. Thats why I'm getting a second opinion on their use/function.

It's clear from you two that a regular pair off shocks (Rancho/Bilstein) will work, but I'd still like to understand the pros/cons from some MUD members instead of a sales department.

So what are the bullet point pros/cons to the following options with the above application in mind?
King 2.0 Smoothie 10".

Emulsion shocks have the pressurized nitrogen gas and shock oil mixed in a common cylinder, when the gas is emulsified with the oil there is expansion and compression of the emulsified medium at the high and low pressure areas making them much less effective at converting energy consistently. You often hear terms like shock fade that refers to this phenomenon, a stiffer shim stack can compensate somewhat but makes tuning for that middle ground ride a bit more difficult.

Reservoir shocks use a remote cylinder with pressurized nitrogen gas separated by a piston to pressurize the shock oil in the shock cylinder. The pressurized fluid helps prevent cavitation of the fluid as it passes through the piston / shims. This cavitation is more evident at higher shaft velocities, they are also able to dissipate heat better, and are more resistant to fade. You are also able to tune a reservoir shock more than an emulsion shock something just as useful on a street driven vehicle as on a race vehicle.

On King 2” smoothie shocks the reservoir is a $50 upgrade, unless you have a specific reason for not adding them the benefits far outweigh the cost.

J Mack, thank you for taking the time to explain that so well, its appreciated and helps.

Lil'John, thank you as well. I was hoping to stick with the same shock manufacturer if possible, which why I was shooting for the 2.0 Smoothies by KING. Waiting on some quotes for both standard shocks and 2.0 w/Remote reservoirs as well.

J Mack, thanks for pointing me in right direction. Great info, great videos. I will pass it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom