Keep or delete the smog? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going in for some mainten and cleaning, and I am debating whether to keep all the smog equipment On my '78 40. It looks like the refuse pile behind a hose factory in there (not to mention all the wiring that needs tidying), but it is all functional and just passed Cali testing and inspection last month.

Keep or discard?

CC856020-D8DD-4483-B658-40ACC3892210.jpeg

Although the Cruiser was in Cali for its entire 44 year life, it is now in a non-smog state. Legally no longer necessary. a search on "desmog" turn up a couple million threads - each with a different take on desmogging. it seems, however, that the '78 must be unique because many threads discuss up to '77 and after '78. Some say just take it out, others refer to distributor and carburetor modifications. Still deciding, but if I do remove I will bag and tag it all.

If it is running fine then why mess with it? If there is a problem, what is it? Simply removing the smog equipment will not necessarily correct whatever problem you may be having. Deleting smog may cause more issues.

If it is running fine then why mess with it? If there is a problem, what is it? Simply removing the smog equipment will not necessarily correct whatever problem you may be having. Deleting smog may cause more issues.
X2`. My 77 and 78 were mostly smogged when I got them. I located the missing parts in the Mud classifieds and they're now fully smogged and running great. I like being able to refer to their emissions manuals for help when needed - no guessing!

None of this “stuff” was meant to be pleasing to the eye. That’s why modern engine compartments have big plastic covers over everything under the hood, for those that don’t want to see all that stuff. Keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom