As with anything, people have their preferences.
I've had most of the models over the years and for a long time, I thought the 80 was king. I wanted another 2-door because I got rid of the 40 series and by happenstance, I found a newly imported HZJ73. Driving it back across 3 states, I fell in love with that little thing. To me, it's peak Toyota. No frills, metal dashboard, rugged-utilitarian design, etc. Since then, I have imported a few more and I absolutely love them. I rarely drive any of the 80s anymore. Here are my thoughts.
73 series - I have a manual and an automatic, the manual is the way to go and with the 1HZ it's a lot of fun to drive. No, you're not winning any drag races but still so much fun. Even with leafs on all corners, it's a significant improvement over the ride of the old 40s.
74 series - Fantastic improvement in overall ride and handling by losing the leaf springs and adding coils to the front. Downside to the 74 however is the addition of the EGR (which you can delete) and in the automatic version, the electronic integration of the throttle position sensor into the A442F has given me a lot of problems.
If you go this route, I would recommend a HZJ74 in a manual.