KDSS - UNfrozen! :) How I did it... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As several folks here have discovered, the KDSS cast housings are prone to rust (this is possibly the understatement of the year). The valves - which need to be opened in order to level a vehicle while installing a suspension upgrade - are conveniently located in the place most vulnerable to road salt and corrosion. These valves are often rusted and considered "frozen" even on newer models that aren't in the "rust-belt" of the country.
Some Mud members have had them replaced under warranty and others are considering selling their vehicles because they don't want to replace this expensive item ($2K sounds familiar) just to get a lift.

My KDSS main housing looks like it was dragged out of the bottom of the ocean. It's the only item on my rig that looks this bad (thank goodness). I should have removed the cover before taking this photo, but you can see that it is in awful condition. The rust was covering the 5mm hex bolt heads to the point where I didn't even see them at first!
IMG_1004.jpg

(BTW - what is that connector for?)

After breaking off the heads of a few bleeder valves on brakes, I resigned myself to the fact that this would be a longer process - waiting days and even weeks before I really took a stab at loosening them.

I hit the screws with PB blaster once a day for a few days - thinking I would let that stuff really penetrate. It seemed clear that nothing was happening so I researched better penetrants. That's when I discovered KROIL.

I sprayed Aero-Kroil on there and could actually see it loosening rust almost right away. After a few sprays, I used a stiff wire brush and a dental pick (neither are shown in the picture) to get in the grooves around the screw-heads. With a few more sprays of KROIL I could now see the outline of the heads and some of the rust was coming off. I waited a day and tried to loosen them with my 5mm socket - but they wouldn't budge and I could feel one starting to strip.
IMG_4922.jpg

A little discouraged, I sprayed more KROIL and then inserted the 5mm allen wrench in the screw heads and tapped gently with a hammer. I tapped a bit on the edge of the screw heads as well (all around).

I waited a few more days....

Today I sprayed a little Kroil and used another wire brush to remove more rust. The screw heads started looking cleaner and really well defined. I tapped the screw heads again with the wrench/hammer inside the screw head and around the outside of the screw head. Now when I sprayed I could actually see the Kroil making little bubbles around the head of the screw. (or that was my imagination).
IMG_4921.jpg

I waited another 1/2 hour and then took my 5mm socket and gingerly applied pressure....I felt a little "crack" as it released and I almost pee'd in my pants with excitement. The second went just as easy!
IMG_4923.jpg

Now I loosened them 3 turns, cleaned the threads a bit, applied grease and tightened and loosened them again. YAHOO! - now I can get a lift!

Congratulations! What a pain! Glad you succeeded though.. Now what are you going to do to prevent it happening again?

I slathered it in grease - but when its a little warmer I'm going to remove the rust and use the POR-15 I have to make it look a little nicer.
AND I'm going to work these screws every time I do an oil change....

Congrats. My first time went a little like that too. Glad Kroil got the job done.

Last edited:
What a serous oversight! You'd think they'd would have realized the mistake and designed something to protect it better.

Awesome...but what the heck is that wiring harness for? Shouldn't be for an LX 570 since they don't have KDSS.

Holy crap. Congrats! I'm jealous. Your housing actually looked worse than mine.

Im going to go home and spray more KROIL on mine.
Don't forget the tapping....I think the tapping on the edges of the screw head and inside with the allen wrench helped allow the Kroil to penetrate a bit...
Good luck!

Awesome...but what the heck is that wiring harness for? Shouldn't be for an LX 570 since they don't have KDSS.
I think the theory is that the harness is for the illuminated steps on an LX....it just happens to be attached to the KDSS housing cover....its likely not related to the KDSS at all.

Nice. I crawled under my truck and looked on the drivers side. Must be covered up by am ARB Skid Plate. Do you know wich skid plate it would be under?

It is under the driver side rear door. I got lucky today. Very little rust and they backed out without issue.

Nice. I crawled under my truck and looked on the drivers side. Must be covered up by am ARB Skid Plate. Do you know wich skid plate it would be under?

Here's a picture of the cover that obscures it. You can access the two valves via the two holes...

IMG_6242.JPG

IMG_6243.JPG

Speaking of KDSS... Anyone know what that wire connector is for??

Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 12.07.32 PM.png

Speaking of KDSS... Anyone know what that wire connector is for??

View attachment 1212530
I think the consensus is that it is for the illuminated steps on a Lexus.... But that hasn't been proven or disproven. I've been meaning to take a volt meter and see if it powers up when you open the door. I also didn't actually even look to see if there is another on the passenger side....

I think the consensus is that it is for the illuminated steps on a Lexus.... But that hasn't been proven or disproven. I've been meaning to take a volt meter and see if it powers up when you open the door. I also didn't actually even look to see if there is another on the passenger side....

Neato! That's pretty cool if it is true!

Toyota tends to build one harness for multiple versions. I don't know the facts on the 200, but for the 80, the harness had connectors for the barn door options and a partial harness for the aux fuel tank, which I used in my build. This saves money if you have one harness for everything. Only one part to build and maintain a set of drawings and inventory for. Things will be partial as some accessories come with their own cabling that plugs into the main harness

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom