Just took delivery of a Prado (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2003 3.0L turbo diesel automatic. No mods, yet...
IMG_20180824_162747385_HDR.jpg

I'll post more pics when I take them...

The 3.0L with an auto it's a little slow, but it pulls and pulls and pulls... Even on longer uphills.

I'm living in Roodepoort, South Africa. It's part of Johannesburg.

Congrats Jason! Much better than those silly hilux’s you were looking at.

Nice truck! So Prado has a rear tire carrier, a proper door handle on the inside of the rear door, an armrest type center console, and I bet you can get them with a clutch (but no V8?) Any other things the Prado has that Lexus did away with? Too bad Toyota doesn’t sell the Prado here maybe the parts would interchange easier if they did. I’m not sure why removing those things equates to “luxurious”, they seem useful to me.

Nice truck! So Prado has a rear tire carrier, a proper door handle on the inside of the rear door, an armrest type center console, and I bet you can get them with a clutch (but no V8?) Any other things the Prado has that Lexus did away with? Too bad Toyota doesn’t sell the Prado here maybe the parts would interchange easier if they did. I’m not sure why removing those things equates to “luxurious”, they seem useful to me.

I'm pretty sure the interior rear door handle is the same unless it's a different, beefed up version, on the models with the rear tire carrier?? If so, that should be an easy upgrade. So far all the GX parts I've put on my Prado are totally interchangeable. (as are many other Toyota parts of the same period)

The Prado here is either V-6 petrol or 3.0L diesel. The vast majority are manual transmission.

I'll take more pics and post later.

Wow, that's totally the opposite of what we got....I've yet to see a manual Prado here in Japan but the majority are 2.7L 4 banger gasoline models. I have the 4.0L 1GRFE V6 but there is an older 3.4L V6 gas model as well as 2 diesel versions. (1KZ-TE and 1KD-FTV) Diesel is cheaper here by a good 25~35% compared to premium gasoline so I was really tempted to go diesel but the V6 seemed like a good compromise.

I'm pretty sure the interior rear door handle is the same unless it's a different, beefed up version, on the models with the rear tire carrier?? If so, that should be an easy upgrade. So far all the GX parts I've put on my Prado are totally interchangeable. (as are many other Toyota parts of the same period)

The US version does not have a way to open the rear door from the inside like the Prado does. The Prado and GX rear door paneling and not easily interchangeable.

A few members have modified the GX rear door paneling to add this feature, however.

Drove it around a bunch today. That 3.0L is just a sweet little engine. The torque seems to always be there... And it makes a nice sound.

We'll take it on longer trip Saturday maybe, I'll be able to see what kind of mileage it's getting.

The US version does not have a way to open the rear door from the inside like the Prado does. The Prado and GX rear door paneling and not easily interchangeable.

A few members have modified the GX rear door paneling to add this feature, however.

First off, thanks for pointing that out. I have my door apart right now and if i can find the parts cheap, I'm soo going to retrofit that to my Prado. Take another look at what you posted though, those trucks have the rear tire carrier. That's the difference. My Prado doesn't have the rear tire carrier, spare is underneath...my rear door panel is the same as the GX. That being said, my guess is it is easily interchangeable.

I don't know how the spare fits underneath. That space on mine is taken up by the fuel tank and its skid plate.

Another thing about this market: it has a 97L fuel tank. When it's full, down to empty, a little light tells you that it has 90L. I think they do that so that you don't run out of fuel.

But, where the Lexus spare is, I have another fuel tank from the factory. We were on empty when I filled up and it took 150L. If my figuring is correct, we have 160L capacity.
IMG_20180831_114908185.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom