Just picked up 80 series 1994 with no compression- Need engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

H2o

Threads
Hey all, my friend in PA (also in TLC but does not MUD) just picked up a 1994 80 series LC. He is looking for either a parts truck with good engine, or an engine. Anyone know of anything? He is up in Harrisonville, PA, but often comes down to DC. So anything not too far from those areas would be ideal.

Thanks

Post in classifieds, look in classifieds. Thought there were a few in there when I looked two months ago. They are out there..........somewhere.

Ok. I am not too familiar with 80 series. What are the more desirable engines? can they be swapped around?

You want a 1FZ-FE.
Watch Craigslist too.

His 94 will accept an engine and accessories from 93-94 directly, or the block/head/timing system from a 95-97. The intake manifold and vacuum tray from the later engine won't work but his 94 parts can be swapped over.

Thanks, Eurosonic, let me check with him first. See if CA is an option.

You can also use www.car-part.com to look for engines in salvage yards by distance from you. Have you done a leakdown test or anything at all to confirm why the engine has no compression?

He may only have a head gasket issue and only needs the head rebuilt and checked and a new head gasket.

How about checking a shop?

The 93-97's all had essentially the same engine, but 93-94 only had OBD1 and 95+ had OBD2 so there are different sensors and ports for sensors.

All were known to have a bad head gasket until it was replaced with new TOYOTA one.

I have a complete engine pulled running from a wrecked 1994 FZJ80 with 142k.

I am also in CA. Can palletize. PM me. Thanks.

He did compression test i think. had bad compression across all cyl.

Well, what would cause bad compression across ALL cylinders? Even bad rings don't all happen at once. These short blocks are well known to run to 500K with NO work other than oil changes.

They are NOT like SBC's.

The common things here are head gaskets. Knowing this would allow the wise mechanic to look at it with a different eye to state that it is unlikely (yes, still possible) that it is a total failure. Was the test done PROPERLY?

It is NOT my intent to judge, just inform.

A bad head gasket MAY cause lower compression in all cylinders. My truck shows under-spec compression on ALL cylinders WHEN COLD AND DRY. because that is NOT the correct way to do a compression test on these. My truck uses/burns NO oil and runs fantastic.

If he can find a whole engine that runs for cheap, then maybe that's the way to do it for him.

Good Luck!

To echo BILT4ME a full replacement may be best for him and certainly is the easiest way to get going again in some situations. Experience with these rigs does indicate that there is a decent chance that existing engine may be fixable for less effort/time than sourcing a replacement. The owner may already know the full story on the engine but if he doesn't it's worth considering the repair option and doing a bit of investigation to get the facts straight before deciding.

I'm guessing that there was a head gasket repair and the cams were not reinstalled properly yielding totally screwed up valve timing, Had another new LC owner with that condition two months ago.

The PO let it overheat to point of blowing the radiator. I can ask if he know much about the history. Let me get more info :)

Sometimes you find pitting in block an wil need comteic gasket. To mak up for the difference. Use a straight edge after removing cams ,caps an head for warpage inline s flex easy. Try not take meat off head. The engine is non interfere also. An Toyota short blocks are available about 5 to 8 hundred over other routes an worth it. 1fze is one of Toyota's golden engines 85 to 09. U will be around 5 grand. An watch the air flow meter on air box there presently discontinued but repairable an the future will bring makers sutch as Fuji to the table. The 80 is high demand an 1 of yotas best creation s it's hardy fulfloat axles an proven record. I have a 94 with 18K in an love it bro. It's looks like shiit but runs like a top. Its cash so here an there like a Fj40. All the parts on it have value so don't throw things away? Is it a rust bucket? Rem Amazon parts geek eBay an Toyota Tech info.com get in good wit your dealer. I get 10% over cost. Parts can be hard to find an pricey cuz of demand. Cruiser Part's. net etc. Fjparts Cali cruiser outfitters lowrange. Rem look for oe suppliers also 95% is available. Some parts discontinued do go back into production. The landcruiser is world vehicle a different breed. Inshino stone parts geek is gasket set an yota black gasket sealant prime wil have it them seals are old an burnt. Your not going find a low mileage new gasket an seals in yard. An Chevy don't belong 1fze is rock solid . All opinion so good luck

The PO let it overheat to point of blowing the radiator. I can ask if he know much about the history. Let me get more info :)

I encourage you to gather more.

The HG was replaced on mine at 145K. Then at 225K, I was pulling onto the interstate at WOT with the A/C on. When I backed out of the throttle, the belts broke and wrapped around the water pump, temp skyrocketed, and exploded the top of my radiator.

I have since rebuilt the cooling system and have driven another 33K miles, had multiple Blackstone tests done on the oil to confirm absolutely NO coolant in the oil.

So, just because the radiator exploded does NOT mean the HG is bad. BTDT. It's actually common on these after so many heat cycles and plastic tanks.

Your friend should probably get in contact with the local club. Have somebody who knows the vehicle look it over and offer some guidance.

Edit: Messiah College is right there. Most missionaries don't know a lot about cars, but they know a whole lot about Land Cruisers. In many of the places where they work they want a vehicle that will get them home. The Land Cruiser has demonstrated its ability to do just that.

Have you looked it over yet?

Last edited:
Napa sales head gasket juice it's a tester connects over radiator an hydrogen gas wil change color. Pressure test your radiator with pressure pump like 15Ibs. And there a device to check amount of antifreeze also. Like 5050 or 90/10 and don't freeze your block. After your done putting engine together. 1st Remove all spark plugs. n cycle with compassion tester each cylinder you wil find two real low that were she got hot. U going want do new head bolts too. The radiator you want the solder top real deal Malaysian I think parts geek has it . An new cap futaba or sankei Amazon wil have them cheap get the blue silicon one. Aisan for water pump Amazon. If you do the chain osk eBay. Mak sure machinist does correct RA factor on head that's the surface texture should b around 50 the Inshino kit wil have your valve seals don't 2ND guess margin. Try use stock head gasket keep cost down an denso ir plugs will go 100K 60.00 for 6. Most importantly use 3m comb wheels gre yel white not biscuit disc or sand disc to clean surface. I worked for Lexus an yota an factory trained don't mean s*** unless you apply it . We all still mess s*** up.

There shimed engine you going loose them when pop the cams order them in a bag or color marker do did sides an machinist wil top the valves. I have a guy here in Phoenix you mail head to if needed. Wish I could help you budy. I step up for 1fze autohouze as has coolant at 18.00 yeah 4 gallons big money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom