just bought a 96 80.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

what's left of the 1Z will suit my short term goals. I am not going to load it down with 1500 lbs of gear and set off across the Mojave desert in it. I will occasionally take it camping to the okeefenokee, NC, TN, and SC. and other places. I may pull a 1000 trailer, with brakes, from time to time. that is about it. I don't see me even putting a roof rack on it. I think too many trick theirs out with every accessory they can afford and then wonder why it performs like a dog. 400lbs of wheels and tires is a good start on making it sluggish.

what's left of the 1Z will suit my short term goals. I am not going to load it down with 1500 lbs of gear and set off across the Mojave desert in it. I will occasionally take it camping to the okeefenokee, NC, TN, and SC. and other places. I may pull a 1000 trailer, with brakes, from time to time. that is about it. I don't see me even putting a roof rack on it. I think too many trick theirs out with every accessory they can afford and then wonder why it performs like a dog. 400lbs of wheels and tires is a good start on making it sluggish.
I wouldn't tear it down unless it starts knocking or has very low compression. I might do an oil analysis to check for engine wear and possibly antifreeze in the oil though, especially if you don't know if the head gasket is original, maybe do a leak down as well. Then go from there.

I did an exhaust gas/coolant test today. see pic after 4 mins of vacuuming radiator gases through it. Still blue.....no sign of head gasket blown.

After engine ran for 20 mins with normal Temps and oil pressure, I got the teapot light. now, I know the oil level is perfectly full, and that the oil pressure, per the indicator is well within normal limits.

what gives?
20220413_105141.jpg

20220413_110729.jpg
20220413_105141.jpg

I know the oil level is perfectly full
How full? My oil level light is on steady around the time when the oil level nears the bottom of the crosshatch on the dipstick.

I've found that checking the oil immediately after turning off the engine, and filling it to the top of the crosshatch keeps my oil light happy.

How full? My oil level light is on steady around the time when the oil level nears the bottom of the crosshatch on the dipstick.

I've found that checking the oil immediately after turning off the engine, and filling it to the top of the crosshatch keeps my oil light happy.
Mine comes on when I’m 1 quart low which happens every 3 thousand miles.

Looks like you are off to a great start!! There's lots you can do, you just have to make a plan, then set it in motion.

any vendors you suggest for a rubber floor mat to replace the carpet?

I run the weathertechs...durable and hold the muck, but can be a bit flimsy and cumbersome (So i tacked them down with some tap screws...)

I think it's fairly common for the oil pressure sending unit to go bad
My 'teapot' came on too for the oil pressure sending unit....unplug it and clean the connections- I did that with mine and it resorted the connectivity again and light dismissed itself

Does anyone know if the oil level light will come on without the engine running?

I had my engine rebuilt last year. During reassembly I did not replace the oil dipstick o-ring and lost a bunch of oil. Previous to the rebuild, my oil level light came on often due to burning oil through the valve seals. But after I lost oil from the dipstick, the oil level light never came on. I was at least a 1.5 qt down which I know would have triggered the light in the past. I need to now test the oil level sensor to confirm it is working.

My 'teapot' came on too for the oil pressure sending unit....unplug it and clean the connections- I did that with mine and it resorted the connectivity again and light dismissed itself
Oil PRESSURE or oil LEVEL?

Two very different things.

I think it's fairly common for the oil pressure sending unit to go bad
For the OP. The oil pressure sender is easy to replace. It is screwed right into the oil cooler. You can see it in this video.

-

Just to confirm, will low oil pressure and low oil level trip the same teapot light on the dash?

@Midgainc you might wanna check your oil pressure with a mechanical gauge to see what it actually is
Red one is low oil pressure. Yellow one is low oil level.

I will clean sensor and see where it goes. by the way, my daughter was in college and called one evening and said that a cute teapot light had come on in her car. she drove it like that for a month.

I had these MT wheels lying around shop with 32" (measured) 305/75/16's mud tires on it . I did not have lug nuts that would fit, so I couldn't mount them. what do you think? 2" ome lift and roll with them?

20220418_140000.jpg
20220418_140003.jpg
20220418_140003.jpg
20220418_140000.jpg

I had these MT wheels lying around shop with 32" (measured) 305/75/16's mud tires on it . I did not have lug nuts that would fit, so I couldn't mount them. what do you think? 2" ome lift and roll with them?

View attachment 2985758View attachment 2985757View attachment 2985757View attachment 2985758
Nice, I have 33s on stock lift. Might get around to replacing the old shocks with OEM height one of these days: supposed to give you an inch or two lift over the 25+ year old components.

Taking off those running boards will give you a lot more clearance too on the break over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom