Just another barn thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's the predator situation down your way? I have so many hawks and critters I haven't seen a covey in a few years. I was going to create some other habitat outside of letting the briar patches and wood piles exist.

Sorry if I missed it but which lift did you go with?
Hawks, raccoons, bobcats, coyotes, you name it. I kill everything but the hawks but they still persist. There is a lot of quail though. It helps that everyone around feeds and manages for them.

Had raccoon try and outrun me last night on my road as I was pulling up to gate. They are cute but menaces for sure.

What's the predator situation down your way? I have so many hawks and critters I haven't seen a covey in a few years. I was going to create some other habitat outside of letting the briar patches and wood piles exist.

Sorry if I missed it but which lift did you go with?
Challenger on the lift. Matches the four post under the other barn.

865E33C2-F74D-4C00-8E89-4677CC8F3893.jpeg

Making some small progress here and there. Morton is going to get some interior trim finished and install one of my exterior doors this Friday. That will allow me to get my big garage door installed early next week and then I will have the building sealed up and can fire up the AC. That means drywall in the gym and arcade.

I had a septic system installed last week and my plumber is going to be out next week to hook things up.

Finally, the cypress for my entry door is out of the kiln. I’m hopeful the door company is going to turn it into a front door sooner rather than later.

Waiting on quote for my septic, 500 gallon concrete tank only $200 cheaper than the 1000 which is $1000. Anticipating $5000 for that and a couple hundred feet of lateral line installed. I want to do it but too many irons in fire.

Waiting on quote for my septic, 500 gallon concrete tank only $200 cheaper than the 1000 which is $1000. Anticipating $5000 for that and a couple hundred feet of lateral line installed. I want to do it but too many irons in fire.
I just got the invoice for mine. They installed a 1050 gallon and it was $6800 with the drain field.

Alabama requires a minimum of 1000 gal IIRC. Absolutely no provision in the regs for a single toilet and sink situation.

Alabama requires a minimum of 1000 gal IIRC. Absolutely no provision in the regs for a single toilet and sink situation.

Texas is similar; minimum requirements for tanks and lateral lines, based on square footage of buildings served, not occupancy or anything else. This was the only permit and inspection I had to have for my whole house though.

Texas is similar; minimum requirements for tanks and lateral lines, based on square footage of buildings served, not occupancy or anything else. This was the only permit and inspection I had to have for my whole house though.
Permitting has not been bad. This building required permits for everything but that has not slowed anything down. The other parking barn did not require any permits. My county is pretty easy to deal with compared to some of my neighbors to the west.

If I hired company to do septic and they did own perc test it would be state regulated and registered blah blah. Due to remoteness and the one toilet and sink, fella I’m using says 200’ of lateral lines is plenty with my Sandy soil. No reporting everything stays off the books.

Heck 1000 gallon tank is never gonna get full unless I sponsor an inflammatory bowel disease convention and that’s highly unlikely.

If I hired company to do septic and they did own perc test it would be state regulated and registered blah blah. Due to remoteness and the one toilet and sink, fella I’m using says 200’ of lateral lines is plenty with my Sandy soil. No reporting everything stays off the books.

Heck 1000 gallon tank is never gonna get full unless I sponsor an inflammatory bowel disease convention and that’s highly unlikely.

I may know a guy or a dozen who have used a pair of 55 gallon drums and 100 foot of leach line for shop, barn and cabin bathrooms.

I may know a guy or a dozen who have used a pair of 55 gallon drums and 100 foot of leach line for shop, barn and cabin bathrooms.
This is what I’m thinking of doing except you can buy a plastic container

This is what I’m thinking of doing except you can buy a plastic container

Sure. Consider a lot of people know what a plastic septic tank looks like. Drums could be used for anything. Nosey neighbors probably won't think anything of a couple plastic drums in the bed of your truck.

I was able to get Morton back out today to finish some interior trim. This will allow the garage door guys to show up next week and get my big door up and operational. Once I board up where the windows will go (assuming Pella ever delivers), I should have this thing climatized by next weekend.

6A7EC0D7-EFB0-4AEA-A1ED-A50CEA83CD86.jpeg
39135786-71AD-4589-B67B-9AAEF12577DC.jpeg

Downside is that if anything happens and they can trace a water quality issue back to you the fines are pretty exorbitant...

Downside is that if anything happens and they can trace a water quality issue back to you the fines are pretty exorbitant...
I skipped permitting once on a septic system and ended up regretting it when I sold the place. It seems everyone now gets a septic inspection and generally won’t proceed unless the issue is resolved. It cost me a whopping $750 more to get this one permitted v no permit. The cost to remedy after the fact is SUBSTANTIALLY more.

And that's if it is just a simple matter of getting the permit. As I say, if there are problems and fines you can pretty much just bend over...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom